Photo

Status of SixtyGig; and Minecraft 1.8. What to do?

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#21 ananda11

ananda11
  • PipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Workbench

• 373 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA
  • Nationality:Irish-German

Posted 02 May 2015 - 09:06 AM

I am not the least bit paranoid about theft on our server, but if one is paranoid about that, it's always possible to conceal your rarest materials. Perhaps Ray could find one or two volunteer vets to manage some of the duties so as not to take away from game dev time. I dont mind a reset, it's fun to start over IMO, but some peeps will be very unhappy if we reset. I get the idea from reading this thread that we have workarounds we can cobble together to keep 1.8 as "normal" as we have become used to. I have been playing some 1.8 and I find it superior and more balanced and varied than previous incarnations of MC. 

Bacon!

#22 zeophlite

zeophlite
  • Pip
  • Co-Admin
  • Log

• 123 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 09:12 AM

My vote would be for #1, or a #5.  My concern with #3 is that a home internet connection has a much higher ping than a hosted solution (which would have a business connection, and be much closer to the backbone).  Then there's other benefits, higher uptime, service, easily upgradable.

My #5 solution would be to install minecraft to a new hosted solution (dedicated or virtual), WordlyWalker mention nitrous-networks.com , but there are others such as mcprohosting.com , creeperhost.net (I think Mindcrack uses them) , or even a non-gaming specific host.

Also, 1.8 vanilla could be fine.  I think with command blocks we could add new features, such as press a button to teleport to other end of the map.  The wilderness could be simulated by teleporting us 10k blocks East, then each "wilderness reset", the teleport changes to 2k blocks further South (as an idea).

#23 stophix

stophix
  • Pip
  • Established
  • Log

• 118 posts
  • LocationUtopia
  • Nationality:Swiss

Posted 02 May 2015 - 09:56 AM

First of all, I think that the SixtyGig community doesn't need plugins to work.

Like WW already mentioned, there is no griefing etc. on this server and I am most certain that we as a group don't need chest protection and stuff like that.

Personally, I can go without fancy chat colors. I like the idea that everyone's on the same "rank" but I agree that it's probably a good idea to give weight to long-time members' opinions. On the website, which is where the important things are discussed, we still would have our colors though, so there wouldn't be much of a problem I don't think.

Okay, I would miss is the wilderness. In minecraft, I'm a "gatherer". I like to go mining and don't feel bad about it. With a wilderness that resets regularly, I never feel guilty of "stealing" someone's resources (I know, that one can always generate more terrain but it just doesn't feel the same to me). And as WW said, Multiverse is available for Spigot.

On the other side, the absence of a wilderness maybe is good for me. I could start focusing on building more instead of piling up my diamond blocks...

Everything considered, I'd enjoy pure vanilla. Yes, it certainly would force me to readjust in one way or another but it would be an opportunity that I would benefit from.

Maybe it's true what they say and less is more sometimes. :-)

Albert, mein Freund

ich wünscht es gäb nen Ort

es gäb nen Ort mit zwei Charlotten dort

ein jeder von uns nicht allein

und endlich wieder Freunde sein

#24 Rosleen

Rosleen
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Application Manager

• 2,622 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark
  • Nationality:Danish/Iranien

Posted 02 May 2015 - 10:13 AM

Oh don't worry about me, I'd love to see a reset :)

Fueled by Tea and Chocolate

#25 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla
  • Nationality:American

Posted 02 May 2015 - 10:19 AM

Loss of portals would mean we as a team would build more buildings in the manner of railroad houses.
It would also force us to interact more with each other again.
Remember WAAAAAAAAAY back when we had the grid map, and to go visit anyone forced us to walk through everyone else?  We might not have ever gotten to our destination, but we visited each other and really brought out the 'multi' in multiplayer.

Problem with this is that our map is just so huge that it takes half an hour to get from one corner to another. That's why we made portals in the first place -- transportation without them is simply awful. :( Not having portals actually made people meet less, because people are more likely to stay cooped up at their base until they HAVE to leave. I don't want to go back to that.

I'd also like to reiterate that vanilla doesn't mean the loss of portals, wilds, or many other things: they can also be emulated with command blocks. However, we would have to give up dynmap, block logging, etc.

There used to be something here..

#26 Likliksnek

Likliksnek
  • PipPip
  • Established
  • Plank

• 252 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany
  • Nationality:German

Posted 02 May 2015 - 11:59 AM

The one mod I would really dearly miss would be the creepers not destroying builds one. I hate this aspect of the game with a passion, always have. I would frankly rather stay 1.7 than having bunnies and fancy doors and whatnots if that means my builds are safe from those green meanies.

For now I am with ili and say wait a bit longer if Spigot becomes a better option. Or, if it can do the creeper thing, go for 1 or 3 if the majority wants that. ;)

Although just as my personal opinion: *If* we upgrade to 1.8 I would prefer a fresh start with a new map including all the features that upgrade actually offers. I dont feel its worth going through all this trouble and then only have half the new things around - or only have them in some kind of wilds area/map.

Thank you so much for all your efforts Ray!

#27 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 02 May 2015 - 01:01 PM

The one mod I would really dearly miss would be the creepers not destroying builds one. I hate this aspect of the game with a passion, always have. I would frankly rather stay 1.7 than having bunnies and fancy doors and whatnots if that means my builds are safe from those green meanies.

If we did vanilla, there is a gamerule that states whether mobs do block damage or not ;) So we could disable that, though it would also disable for ghasts, enderdragons, and withers (which are enabled at the moment).

Although just as my personal opinion: *If* we upgrade to 1.8 I would prefer a fresh start with a new map including all the features that upgrade actually offers. I dont feel its worth going through all this trouble and then only have half the new things around - or only have them in some kind of wilds area/map.

I'm not quite following you here -- what features would we not have on the main map? The only consequential things I can think of are the new stone and the water temples. The new stone Ray can easily edit in, and the water temples supposedly spawn by themselves (if not I expect Ray could edit these in too!) :)

#28 61tasc130fe

61tasc130fe
  • Pip
  • Established
  • Log

• 108 posts
  • LocationGlen Rock, PA (USA)

Posted 02 May 2015 - 01:03 PM

Lots of good discussion.

1. I have a huge build (stadium) which I have been working on since February. I would happily give it up if it means making a change that would benefit SixtyGig.

2. Have to agree about the creepers - I hate that as well. It is bad enough the scare the crap out of me but it is a real hassle when they destroy stuff.

3. Also agree that I don't think theft is a real issue here. Heck if someone needs something I am more than happy to give it to them (and I've found almost everyone is the same way).

4. Rank colors in chat isn't a big deal for me. The ranks would still remain on the website. The only real color I look at are the greenies but I pretty much know who they are before they arrive on the server.

5. Anything that can make the job easier for Ray is great by me. I appreciate this sandbox he runs and hope to hang around for as long as it is around. But I also know he has a life so any option that makes it easier for him to manage the resources is a good option.

6. I would like to see some means of having a wilderness area that can be reset every so often.

Having said all that I am happy to follow - the above are my preferences but as I said I enjoy the community and I'll be here regardless of what decision is made.

Now that sounds like a cop out so I'll make a decision on option 1 or 3.

#29 Likliksnek

Likliksnek
  • PipPip
  • Established
  • Plank

• 252 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany
  • Nationality:German

Posted 02 May 2015 - 01:58 PM

If we did vanilla, there is a gamerule that states whether mobs do block damage or not ;) So we could disable that, though it would also disable for ghasts, enderdragons, and withers (which are enabled at the moment).

Wooot! There is? Cool :D 

Thank you for clarifying BD, I didn't know that temples and the new blocks (yes, I meant those) can be put in  so easily. Although it still sounds like alot of work to me to make that look good. ;)  But especially the temples would be something I'd love to have on the mainmap. Adds so much mystic feeling.

On further thought the loss of dynmap would be a big one regarding visiting other people (How would you even start finding them!?). But maybe there could be some kind of static map instead that updates once a month or so? Just thinking out loud. :)

#30 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 02 May 2015 - 02:30 PM

Thank you for clarifying BD, I didn't know that temples and the new blocks (yes, I meant those) can be put in  so easily. Although it still sounds like alot of work to me to make that look good. ;)  But especially the temples would be something I'd love to have on the mainmap. Adds so much mystic feeling.

The way it works is a map generated with the same seed is created, then the new stone is copied over (but only in areas where stone exists on the original map). This could create some issues with smooth-stone being incorporated into people's builds, though. ;)

On further thought the loss of dynmap would be a big one regarding visiting other people (How would you even start finding them!?). But maybe there could be some kind of static map instead that updates once a month or so? Just thinking out loud. :)

That could be an option, if we went for vanilla! There is a dynmap plugin for Spigot, so we'd only have that issue on vanilla. :)

#31 WordlyWalker

WordlyWalker
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Wooden Axe

• 533 posts
  • LocationNorth West England
  • Nationality:British

Posted 02 May 2015 - 02:57 PM

Worldguard also works with spigot which requires worldedit which says it isn't fully compatible with 1.8 but lets worldguard work, I've just tried it and it protected against creeper explosions. Multiworld is compatible with 1.8 also for the portals and wilderness and stuff. http://dev.bukkit.or...iles/76-v5-2-6/ but I'm not sure what Ray uses at the moment.

So block protection, and multiworlds seems catered for.  

I like coffee!

#32 mattdaddy2000

mattdaddy2000
  • Established
  • Tree Puncher

• 84 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada
  • Nationality:Canadian

Posted 02 May 2015 - 07:09 PM

Wow, it's great to see so many replies to this thread already. I was beginning to feel that everyone had just left the server it's been empty for so long.

My vote, for what it is worth, would be door #1 or Zeophlites' door #5. All the other solutions seem like stopgap measures.

In terms of plugins I think it is always a good design solution to keep things as simple as possible (although not always the easiest to achieve). I guess that's why a vanilla server seems so tempting. That said I love the dynmap and having the mining world really does keep the main world clean. I guess we need some protection or block logging. Everyone here is so amazing though and Ros does such a good job vetting the greenies. It may not be the busiest server but the sense of respect and responsibility to the community is completely unique. It would be sad for this place to fade away.

I know setting this up is a lot of work for Ray. I wish I could help out but I know nothing about servers and programming. Ray if you feel the need to bring back the donation aspect to offset any new costs I wouldn't mind at all. I only donated once before you took that function away from the website. I was thinking I needed to donate again when you took it down. Bring it back if you think it would help.

#33 IryshWhiskey

IryshWhiskey
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Established
  • Stick

• 450 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, US
  • Nationality:Irish-American

Posted 02 May 2015 - 08:54 PM

1. I spent a lil' while playing with a few friends on a small server and had a fantastic time building portals in the Nether to everyone's over-world bases. The Nether is 1/8th the size of the over-world, so it takes substantially less time to get from point A to B. We were running pure Vanilla and it didn't even feel bad because it was super fun to explore in the over-world with some flint and obsidian, find a really cool place (like a mesa area), build the portal, enter Nether, and connect that portal to the main hub in the Nether. I know 60G would make something friggen amazing in the Nether IF it came down to ghetto portals. 

-Ex. I (being Iry) went like a million blocks away from everyone. It took about an hour to get to my place from base through terrain and whatnot. Using the Nether portal system, it took 3 minutes. Plus it was a really amazing group activity because building in the Nether is rough!

2. Reading all of this makes #2 with a twist sound kind of nice. Basically back to basics with a few mods we have learned Spigot provides and a few vanilla tweaks (creepers no-boom, etc). Why doesn't your current host allow Spigot? Can we help pay to switch to a more Minecraft friendly host? 

It's dangerous to go alone! Take this.

Posted Image

#34 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 02 May 2015 - 11:13 PM

I've been messing around with Spigot, and I've been able to get almost everything working up front on the old SG5 map (because why not). I've got Dynmap, portals, nether and wilds, chat colors, damage protection, and permissions all working smoothly. The only bit I haven't gotten to work so far is the end -- can't get the portals to work correctly -- but I'm sure there's a fix out there. A large issue I'm finding is that Dynmap signs are wiped, we'll probably need to figure out a way to back those up (if we go the Spigot route, that is). Everything else seems to be functioning correctly, though! :D

I have no idea how Ray manages things on the backend, so I'm not even going to delve into that yet.

#35 Captain_Marko

Captain_Marko
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,091 posts
  • LocationUK & much further East

Posted 02 May 2015 - 11:19 PM

Great job BD, the proof of the pudding is in the eating!

Having a testbed prior is a good plan.

I Never Ever Nether ™

Read the 60Gig FAQ!

#36 WordlyWalker

WordlyWalker
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Wooden Axe

• 533 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 12:11 AM

Im sure you can build an end portal while in creative mode. As long as you have the eyes the right way around. No need for a plugin to do it.
I like coffee!

#37 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 03 May 2015 - 12:33 AM

Im sure you can build an end portal while in creative mode. As long as you have the eyes the right way around. No need for a plugin to do it.

Multiverse splits different realms into different world files, which has the side effect of disabling normal portal function. I'm having trouble configuring an end portal so that it teleports to the obsidian platform as spawn.

#38 WordlyWalker

WordlyWalker
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Wooden Axe

• 533 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 01:13 AM

Im sure i managed it when messing about with a server. I'll have to have another look at it. Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me
I like coffee!

#39 InvisibleCat007

InvisibleCat007
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Coal

• 644 posts
  • LocationWA (state) USA
  • Nationality:Dumb American

Posted 03 May 2015 - 01:28 AM

Drags, You are my hero.

My one eye is closed so I can keep an eye on myself. The other eye remains cracked open so I can keep an eye on you. For you are beautiful and someone must hold a space for you to shine and live in complete freedom when you will not see. What this means in literal context is this: Each of my two eyes are looking 'at you' and 'for you'. – Dustin Strong

#40 Sivcere

Sivcere
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Established
  • Coal

• 668 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand
  • Nationality:Kiwi as bro

Posted 03 May 2015 - 02:45 AM

I've been messing around with Spigot, and I've been able to get almost everything working up front on the old SG5 map (because why not). I've got Dynmap, portals, nether and wilds, chat colors, damage protection, and permissions all working smoothly. The only bit I haven't gotten to work so far is the end -- can't get the portals to work correctly -- but I'm sure there's a fix out there. A large issue I'm finding is that Dynmap signs are wiped, we'll probably need to figure out a way to back those up (if we go the Spigot route, that is). Everything else seems to be functioning correctly, though! :D

I have no idea how Ray manages things on the backend, so I'm not even going to delve into that yet.

Now I'm not even sure what the issue is, Good on you Drag, give that man a cookie. We can look into the portals.

I'm a cat now, how odd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users