• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • Nationality:American

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:45 AM

Greetings everyone,

As most of you have probably noticed, I haven't really been around much at all lately. I've been spending a large amount of time moving into my new house, going to school and working on Retro-Pixel Castles.

Between buying my new house (that is requiring a complete remodel), attending college and working on Retro-Pixel Castles I just have no time to keep up with the server anymore. Used to it was actually fine. The server is pretty self moderating and easy to maintain, and I had a ton of help from Stacy, Rosleen, Oribloke, the other Veterans and many others over the years. But since the bukkit "issue" I've reached to an impasse. I don't have the time to relearn everything and put together a new spigot server, my livelihood now relies on Retro-Pixel Castles' income so I simply can't ignore it, and sadly, the free time I invest not working on RPC is focused on working on my new home. There's just no space for SixtyGig anymore.

I love this community, and I will certainly regret what I am about to do. But I think it's time to finally, and officially, shut the doors of the server. I'll keep the server running for the remainder of this month, and then I will offer the entire server, the maps and everything as one large downloadable package. I will even do my best to include all the old maps from SG1 through SG5.

But, this doesn't mean the community has to die! I will keep SixtyGig's forums running as long as people are here to post, and if you guys want to organize it, you have full permission to use the server download I will post later this month to host a SixtyGig yourself or simply just keep the map for your own adventures.

I'll still be here on the forums, and you're all welcome to contact me here, add me on Steam or on shoot me a PM at the Retro-Pixel Castles' official website.

To every SixtyGigger, both new and old, it's been a great 4 years! SixtyGig has been one of the most amazing communities I've ever been a part of, and I will miss its glory days.

sig.png

#2 iliplayz

iliplayz
  • Pip
  • Established
  • Log

• 122 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 02:14 AM

Well all things come to an end eventually ...

... so I would like to thank you for what you have done for us though SG for all these years, for your time and effort in maintaining the server and the community that grew around it.

I wish you the best in everything you do in life.

Squaring the circle since 2010.

#3 Oribloke

Oribloke
  • PipPip
  • Veteran
  • Plank

• 238 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 22 June 2015 - 02:24 AM

Thank you for all the effort you put into this server.

This place and the community gathered around it brought joy to every second of almost four years of my membership here.

It’s been a great time, I'll never forget.

#4 EZWoodworker

EZWoodworker
  • Established
  • Tree Puncher

• 88 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 22 June 2015 - 03:11 AM

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.  Haven't been here long but really enjoyed what time I had here.  Best of luck in the future.

#5 Captain_Marko

Captain_Marko
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,091 posts
  • LocationUK & much further East
  • Nationality:British

Posted 22 June 2015 - 03:43 AM

Dear Ray,

Many thanks Ray for the clarification and  the huge enjoyment, new friends made, laughs, fun, serious as well as zany chats, community building hilarity, weird experiences, the 60G resource pack and a multitude of other things  I have had over the 2 years I have been honoured to be a member of 60G.

Stay sharp with your Castles, best wishes for all that and your new home!

Hugs

Captain Marko

I Never Ever Nether ™

Read the 60Gig FAQ!

#6 Likliksnek

Likliksnek
  • PipPip
  • Established
  • Plank

• 252 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany
  • Nationality:German

Posted 22 June 2015 - 04:01 AM

Thank you Ray and thank you team SG!

The year I've been here has been a great pleasure and I hope some of this can continue somehow.

I wish you a great success with RPC and many cozy hours in our new home! :)

Thanks again

Claudia

#7 Rosleen

Rosleen
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Application Manager

• 2,622 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark
  • Nationality:Danish/Iranien

Posted 22 June 2015 - 04:44 AM

It's been the best place i could imagine to spend my time. It's has been home and I've met and gotten to know the most amazing people. Thank you for making that possible.
Fueled by Tea and Chocolate

#8 ananda11

ananda11
  • PipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Workbench

• 373 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA
  • Nationality:Irish-German

Posted 22 June 2015 - 05:23 AM

Ray, thanks for your kindness and all the fun. This has been my best online gaming experience and has allowed me to meet so many good people. Best of luck with RPC.

PS I blame Obama for SG closing.

#9 zeophlite

zeophlite
  • Pip
  • Co-Admin
  • Log

• 123 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 06:59 AM

Ray, best of luck with RPC, I look forward to seeing where you take it, and other projects, in the future

#10 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 22 June 2015 - 07:14 AM

I was hoping this wouldn't happen, but I've been seeing the signs for a while. I quite enjoyed my experience on SG -- but all good things must come to an end I suppose.

I wish you luck in your future endeavors!

It would be nice to continue the server, but somehow I don't really see that happening.

There used to be something here..

#11 Rijjick

Rijjick
  • Pip
  • Established
  • Log

• 122 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 07:57 AM

Well, definitely felt this in the wind. Sorry to see it's actually happening, though.

Quite likely the only server I could continue being on, even if I haven't been around all  that much.

Much love for all of you. Hope everyone finds a nice Minecraft home for themselves!

#12 Schematix

Schematix
  • PipPip
  • Established
  • Plank

• 241 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 22 June 2015 - 09:50 AM

Much love for all of you. Hope everyone finds a nice Minecraft home for themselves!

I can't lose all you folk. You guys are too nice that I'll just feel disappointed if I go anywhere else. :(

Options for moving forward? Continue the server without Ray (Well, he'll still be around, just not hosting it). Finding a server with similar standards that we could migrate to?

Funnily enough I've been here for almost 1 year (I signed up 361ish days ago) but I can't imagine being anywhere else. Thanks for what you have done for us so far, Ray, and I wish you luck with RPC and your new home. 

Smile! :)

#13 gotkaya

gotkaya
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 71 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 10:04 AM

Thanks for the great server and even better community you've fosted here Ray. Bunch of great people here, gonna miss ya'll. Good luck with RPC, I'll be anxiously watch if its development, as well as your success.

#14 srm86

srm86
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Admin
  • SixtyGig Admin

• 1,557 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 June 2015 - 10:25 AM

If someone else was able to host and run a Minecraft server (with a new map or the current SixtyGig map), we could still probably use SixtyGig forums to organize and talk and such.

#15 Pheonyxe5

Pheonyxe5
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 219 posts
  • LocationCarmel, CA

Posted 22 June 2015 - 11:28 AM

I am sorry to see this, but completely understand, sometimes life changes in ways we don't expect.  Thank you so much for everything Ray, this server has been a wonderful Minecraft home for all of us, I have felt so welcomed from the beginning, even if I haven't been able to join in much lately!  Good luck with your future endeavors!!

:red_rose_32px: "We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses" :red_rose_32px:

#16 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:40 PM

If someone else was able to host and run a Minecraft server (with a new map or the current SixtyGig map), we could still probably use SixtyGig forums to organize and talk and such.

This.

I'll be providing the entire server download, plugins included. So if someone wants to continue hosting the server, I'll be more than happy to give that person admin privileges on the website so they can continue to use SixtyGig.com as the server's community forums. ;)

Running this website is pennies to me, since it's all hosted under my main VPS anyway, all I really have to pay extra for is the IPB license and the domain name. The IPB license is only about $10/month, and the domain is paid up for the next 3 or 4 years anyway (Even if it wasnt, that's only like $10 or so a year anyway). The bulk of the expense is paying for the VPS ($50/month), but I have to pay that anyway to run RetroPixelCastles.com, Rayvolution.net and the future SixtyGigGames.com. So throwing SixtyGig.com into the mix really doesn't make any difference.

Basically, all I'm saying is if you guys get organized and can keep SixtyGig alive, I'll be more than happy to flip the bill for the website side of the house, and teach whomever decides to be the new admin(s) how to use IPB's admin controls.

sig.png

#17 Sivcere

Sivcere
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Established
  • Coal

• 668 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand
  • Nationality:Kiwi as bro

Posted 22 June 2015 - 01:04 PM

Good luck with well everything Ray, we will miss you :( 

I just been looking around online for hosting sites, The prices depend a lot on the site but it seems mostly less than $30 USD a month to host it, we can always bring back the donation system and go from there.

https://mcprohosting...#/name?plans=mc

https://ggservers.net/

https://www.bisectho...om/selector.php

I need a tech wizard to explain some of this stuff but it doesn't seem to hard to get running.

I'm a cat now, how odd.

#18 BlackOrchid

BlackOrchid
  • Tree Puncher

• 14 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 22 June 2015 - 02:53 PM

I've only been here for a short time, but you guys have built something amazing on this server.  

Thank you for allowing me to be a part of the community.  I've enjoyed my time here immensely. 

Ray, good luck in all you do, and do what's best for you, enjoy your life and your new home.  And again, thank you.

I would love to see this server continue to live on.  I really have nothing to offer when it comes to this kind of stuff, but with Josh's help, I know I can learn can learn.  I would like to help in any way I can.  Please let me know what I can do to help keep this up and going.  I want to get more involved.  And if we can't keep it running, I hope everyone finds a good minecraft home.  

#19 EZWoodworker

EZWoodworker
  • Established
  • Tree Puncher

• 88 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 22 June 2015 - 04:10 PM

I've been looking at other mature servers, so far none even approach SG what I see in SG. I'm really going to miss being here. Good luck to you all on finding a new home.

#20 IryshWhiskey

IryshWhiskey
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Established
  • Stick

• 450 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, US
  • Nationality:Irish-American

Posted 22 June 2015 - 05:26 PM

Ray, you're amazing! Thank you so much for helping to create one of the few comforts a lonely military wife has. I'd have been lost without you guys, and the many fun nights, hangouts and laughs I've enjoyed over the years. 

I'm sure someone will continue on the SixtyGig legacy, and hopefully it continues to be the best mature MC server around! 

<3 you guys. 

Spoiler

It's dangerous to go alone! Take this.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users