• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Established
  • Coal

• 668 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand
  • Nationality:Kiwi as bro

Posted 24 June 2015 - 09:14 PM

Righto Folks. What is the plan....

We have a lot of things we need to start talking about and making decisions on.

• Do we even want to have the Server? Mainly stemming from the fact I never see anyone online.
  • Are we going with what we talked on in this post: http://sixtygig.com/...at-to-do/page-6
  • Who's going to be the new Admin? Prefer someone with experience in black magic or computer stuff for you normals.... 
  • Where is the money coming from?

As I've suggest we can always bring back the donation system and go from there using a new host.

Anything else I should add?

Edit: For the sake of not going though five pages I've added the Server Ip here :158.69.9.97

I'm a cat now, how odd.

#2 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla
  • Nationality:American

Posted 24 June 2015 - 10:23 PM

Another thing to discuss:
Where's the money coming from?
Getting a good host, if someone were to continue SG, is not cheap. Lowest price looks like $10-20 per month, so it would either require some crowd funding or donations from those who are financially stable.
There used to be something here..

#3 Sivcere

Sivcere
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Established
  • Coal

• 668 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 24 June 2015 - 10:50 PM

*Snip*

Added!

I'm a cat now, how odd.

#4 Rijjick

Rijjick
  • Pip
  • Established
  • Log

• 122 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 08:41 AM

A lot of the reason that nobody has been online recently is that we could see this in the wind. With Ray failing to whitelist the newbies, not being around and other things, it was pretty obvious what was coming.

With that being said, I'd love to see the server continue. This is a good place; sometimes I wish it were more populated, but it's not as though that can't be fixed.

I don't think money is a difficulty. The people of this server have shown their willingness to donate more than once; if they want the server to be around, they'll make it happen.

As for leadership, I don't know. Ray has had a pretty fortunate combination of traits that have allowed him to make this happen.

I have most of the technical skills required to make this happen, though not to the degree that Ray does. I have neither leadership ability nor desire to lead, but I would be quite willing to play technical support to make this happen.

#5 Elly_Roo

Elly_Roo
  • Established
  • Tree Puncher

• 38 posts
  • LocationGulf Breeze, Florida

Posted 25 June 2015 - 10:24 AM

A lot of the reason that nobody has been online recently is that we could see this in the wind. With Ray failing to whitelist the newbies, not being around and other things, it was pretty obvious what was coming.

This. Aside from moving in June and being unavailable for a bit, I was hesitant to play much because there was discussions about what to do with the server, update, restart, etc. My habit is to play MC a little every day. I'm hopeful something comes of these discussions.

I'm pretty new to SG, but heck, if you just need someone to do admin stuff like whitelisting, etc. I'd be glad to donate the time. I was co-leader of a gaming guild for a couple years so I'm not entirely green. Or I could support whoever takes over that role by helping wherever I can.

Gaming communities with active, sane people are worth preserving! I'm sure between the interested SGers around, something good can be put together. 

Minecraft: Like Legos but with death.

#6 torcido

torcido
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Torch

• 762 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 25 June 2015 - 08:31 PM

I have most of the technical skills required to make this happen, though not to the degree that Ray does. I have neither leadership ability nor desire to lead, but I would be quite willing to play technical support to make this happen.

The Vets and Seasoned groups have been caught in this loop for a couple of months trying to head this off ourselves.  I think the conflict you noted is the primary roadblock.  

People who have been the behind-the-scenes surrogates for Ray the past year or so may not feel technically confident, and, though running the day-to-day 'administration' were still primarily 'referring' things to Ray for his final call.  I believe that setup was beneficial as there was a degree of separation from the stress of the Big Chair, and no one felt like they were stepping on Ray's toes since he still had the final call.  

If you and they are willing to revive that setup (you run things behind the scenes and they make day-to-day administrative suggestions to you), or if you're willing to just be Chief Engineer and let one (or more) of them take on the actual executive role (as the formal delegated Buck-stopper), then the shift could be done pretty smoothly.  You'd have to do like Ray has, though, and pick people you trust to do those things.  Except for his major cock-up in promoting Renic and myself to Goldies, Ray's selections for Seasoned and Vet have been pretty good, so that might be a place to start.

The ~$20/month (is that all?) for a minimalist startup might be something the old donation system could handle, whether with a few lump donations and/or some small recurring/subscription ones from our more generous patrons.  It could be done with some 'encouragement' of whomever your team promotes into the equivalent of the Vet/Seasoned classifications, not as a pay-for-promotion thing but more as a 'support-what-you-clearly-enjoy-if-you-can' thing.

I'd chip in in any way I could, whatever 'group' I would ultimately end up in, though my abject ignorance on anything technical and complete lack of respectability when it comes to leadership would render me mostly just a minor sugar daddy (or more correctly a stolen restaurant-packet, off-brand, aspartame sweetener daddy).

Posted Image

#7 torcido

torcido
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Torch

• 762 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 25 June 2015 - 09:53 PM

Just in case no one noticed from the Public Forums at the bottom of the page, an applicant's comment related to hosting options:

http://sixtygig.com/...ver/#entry39687

Posted Image

#8 Likliksnek

Likliksnek
  • PipPip
  • Established
  • Plank

• 252 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany
  • Nationality:German

Posted 25 June 2015 - 10:49 PM

It would be great to keep this server alive. And maybe even the current map for very selfish reasons. ;)

I'd be happy to contribute to any costs, or help with anything thats needed (tho probably rather not the technical stuffs ^^)

Cya!

Lik

#9 Captain_Marko

Captain_Marko
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,091 posts
  • LocationUK & much further East
  • Nationality:British

Posted 26 June 2015 - 12:27 AM

Lack of time sadly forces me to take a back seat, but am happy to help in some way. I've been around forums and groups as admin and sysop since before the internet was born ( on dial up bulletin boards if anyone remembers!) by way of credentials, so would probably be able to help out somehow with a forum.

I have owned an MC server but I am way out of touch with the tech stuff now.

I would suggest creating an action plan leading to control of the/a forum and a new MC host, probably with getting proper costings near the top as the suggested 20 bucks will only get around 2Gig and 40 player capacity, not enough space for the 60G large maps, Dynmap and so on. Once that cost is known and deemed feasable and the staff are in place - 60G can be reborn!

I Never Ever Nether ™

Read the 60Gig FAQ!

#10 Sivcere

Sivcere
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Established
  • Coal

• 668 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 26 June 2015 - 03:36 AM

Righto! Action plan is a go!

Step one: Anyone want to be Admin? If not we can always use a voting system, or go without a admin and have someone do the techie stuff for us (Cough Cough, Looking at your past server hosters, Cough) Vets seem to always have stuff under control, just give them more power (As terrifying as that sounds.) -Needs more discussion.

Step two: Install the donation system, we need someone to work that out and get that functioning. 

Step three: Choose a host and install the server, this also means we have to talk about updating, spigot and more- Needs more discussion.

Step four: ????? 

Step Five: Profit.

Step Six: Go for there and work stuff out as we go.

I'm a cat now, how odd.

#11 GarrikP

GarrikP
  • Veteran
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,042 posts
  • LocationEast Texas
  • Nationality:US

Posted 26 June 2015 - 05:31 PM

Keep in mind that Ray has expressed willingness to continue the basic financial cost for any transition, so that discussion can be secondary.
While I don't encourage us mooching his pocketbook, what we as a community need to focus on is who has the knowledge, or can learn easily the required skills to swap the server to a Spigot server and find suitable replacement mods for what is currently in place.

I know that the senior "staff" (seasoned & vets), even torcido, here can help run the day to day things should we be given the information we need to do so.

<Profound statement>

#12 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 26 June 2015 - 06:11 PM

Personally, I have the technical skills to manage a server. However, my time is very limited, so I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to be a good admin. I'd be happy to help with anything non-routine though! Just say the word.

#13 GarrikP

GarrikP
  • Veteran
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,042 posts
  • LocationEast Texas
  • Nationality:US

Posted 26 June 2015 - 07:06 PM

Blue,

Think you could help us transition, or at least advise?

<Profound statement>

#14 srm86

srm86
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Admin
  • SixtyGig Admin

• 1,557 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 26 June 2015 - 08:02 PM

Keep in mind that Ray has expressed willingness to continue the basic financial cost for any transition, so that discussion can be secondary.
While I don't encourage us mooching his pocketbook, what we as a community need to focus on is who has the knowledge, or can learn easily the required skills to swap the server to a Spigot server and find suitable replacement mods for what is currently in place.

I know that the senior "staff" (seasoned & vets), even torcido, here can help run the day to day things should we be given the information we need to do so.

I think that as we focus on this new transition, it would be important to (like you said), make sure we have someone in place that has the required skills/time to make the transition as smooth as possible. If we start throwing shit out randomly and praying to see what sticks, we're going to just make a mess of this beautiful community we've created.

Personally, I have limited time (as do most of the Vets) but I'm always happy to pitch in my two cents and help with daily administrative stuff as needed. What we need is someone who's willing to be the FigureHead, so to speak, if we want to continue Ray's model of management for this server. That model being (as I believe torc said), FigureHead -> Group of Vets/Seasoned to help make decisions -> General Populace

I think that's a model that's worked quite well for a long time so I'd be hesitant to change that. So, frankly, the first question should be: Who would like to take on the responsibility of being the FigureHead? Or should it be two people (one with server management skills and one with technical skills)?

#15 Sivcere

Sivcere
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Established
  • Coal

• 668 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 26 June 2015 - 11:41 PM

What we could do is set up a quick poll to see who wants to be Admin, just have a yes or no and go from there.

I'm a cat now, how odd.

#16 Schematix

Schematix
  • PipPip
  • Established
  • Plank

• 241 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 27 June 2015 - 12:46 AM

I really like Zac's lists. :)

Objective 1

Find some dude to call shots.

Objective 2

Find some dude with enough time to figure out spigot. 

Server Hosting Reviews

Simple 1.8 Spigot Tutorial

Objective 3

$$$

And in response to what someone else said, I believe Ray said he would be maintaining these forums indefinitely and the community that would go along with it (Us Sixtygiggers). I don't think we need to worry about that part. 

In response to objective 1 can't y'all like figure that out? Us commonfolk don't know what you do in your fancy pants subforum, so I can't imagine how its like. I don't really have any input on this otherwise though. :(

In response to objective 2, I don't know much about what we would have to do for this.

1. Actually setting up the server, but there's a Spigot Wiki for that, so I can't imagine it possibly being that difficult.

2. Security shenanigans? (DDoS? Hacking? I'm a computer pleb?)

3. ???

If we could get someone to point us where to look to actually learn this stuff, then I'd likely be willing to find out. I'm just not exactly sure what the scope of hosting a server like SixtyGig is. If its fairly simple that a lot of reading will handle I wouldn't mind investigating. I honestly have no idea how much you need to know in order to setup a server like this. Knowing what you need to know might be a pretty necessary step to help getting Objective 2 underway.

In response to objective 3, I've already volunteered to donate some $$$ ($10 a month is no biggie, really). I believe someone else did in the original thread as well. I'm just hoping that they can remain 100% anonymous and that no rewards are given. (It wouldn't be a donation if we handed out rewards, that would be called a purchase) 

But actually, everything humans do intentionally is for a reward, but I don't wanna get all philoslothical like InvisibleCat. Drugs are bad, mkay. 

Smile! :)

#17 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 27 June 2015 - 08:28 AM

Blue,
Think you could help us transition, or at least advise?

I'd be happy to help set up some things or give advice. I wouldn't expect the transition would be very difficult, the hardest part most likely being finding and setting up a new host. After that, spigot is a breeze for anyone experienced with administration.

I think much of the difficulty will come from maintenance: someone will need to learn how to add new people, maps, portals, etc. Most of this can be done through in game commands, so vets and maybe seasoneds could be given those permissions.

Schematix, I doubt security would be an immediate issue, if at all. Any good host would hopefully have that in place, but if we end up having issues that would be something to consider.

As far as what would need to be done when setting up the server in the first place:
1. Buy host. Spend a while in tech support when it doesn't work.
2. Install spigot through host, unless it's already installed.
3. After this, it's basically just copying and pasting files and running in-game commands. No more messing with the host, hopefully. A permissions hierchy would most likely need to be set up, and decisions should be made as to who has what permissions.

Various plugin and spigot forums and wikis are good resources for learning about this stuff. Pretty much everything we'd want has already been done somewhere.

#18 srm86

srm86
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Admin
  • SixtyGig Admin

• 1,557 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 27 June 2015 - 09:56 AM

Schematix,

Us Vets would be happy to help the incumbent FigureHead with the transition, but we need someone to step up and volunteer. Many of the Vets simply don't have time to run a full server but would be happy to help in the ways that we can. Unfortunately we can't just assign someone and say "Okay! You're going to be the FigureHead! GO!"

#19 mattdaddy2000

mattdaddy2000
  • Established
  • Tree Puncher

• 84 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada
  • Nationality:Canadian

Posted 27 June 2015 - 11:50 AM

Just chiming in to say I'd love for this mc community to continue and am willing to be helpful in any way I can.

Regarding the FigureHead, I'm curious as to what the actual requirements of an admin are? Not saying I want the job. I don't think I have the right qualities of technical skill and leadership to hold it together. But it seems that if there is a job posting here maybe a job description is needed so we all can see and decide. Like how much time is required to be an admin? Or what kind of coding skills are needed outside of following instructions on a wiki (if any)?

For that matter it might also be helpful to know how the server has been administrated until now. I know Ros vets the greenies and tears down old builds that have been abandoned. Ori sorts out the people who don't check in. Ray whitelisted, reset the worlds, banned people, maintained the backend of it all and had final say on all the decisions. I've gleaned the vets had a private thread for discussing admin issues. I'm sure there is more to running this but don't know what that might be. I'm also not sure if my understanding of the administration is correct. If new blood is needed to step in to help keep this going it might be good to get a better sense of how it has been done up until now so we can slot ourselves into that structure.

#20 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 27 June 2015 - 01:26 PM

That would be good information to know! I do know that there is a seasoned/vet forum where they discuss this stuff, but it would be a good idea to see what sort of stuff is required of an admin.

Potentially we could do some "backup" or "dual" admin system -- not sure how this would fit with the current system, though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users