#21 torcido

torcido
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Torch

• 762 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 27 June 2015 - 01:30 PM

For that matter it might also be helpful to know how the server has been administrated until now. I know Ros vets the greenies and tears down old builds that have been abandoned. Ori sorts out the people who don't check in. Ray whitelisted, reset the worlds, banned people, maintained the backend of it all and had final say on all the decisions.

Stacy has held a few jobs, most recently Defender of the Forums / Cat Wrangler.  Ananda and Wordly helped Ros review the applicants in a productive manner.  Garrik has taken over Nekcalb's role as prodigal son, so he comes and goes as he pleases.  And Renic and I just basically stay on the porch and slapfight through most of the meetings.  

There are some good leader/practical admin options in the Vets as far as maturity and responsibility go, but no one stepped forward (probably a bit too much modesty in the group, as well) and we apparently haven't wanted to 'draft' (or 'condemn') anyone to the role by pressuring them into it.  There is also some technical know-how in the group as well, but the concern over the time factor (and being the point person for the host) is probably holding off any volunteers there, too.  

If we could define a minimalist schedule for all of the tasks on the admin and tech sides (something we had been trying to do anyway to string Ray along for as long as we could) then it might be easier to get someone (whether Vet or not) to decide they can handle that small portion of the operation.

Posted Image

#22 torcido

torcido
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Torch

• 762 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 27 June 2015 - 07:54 PM

(Bump-by-association)

http://sixtygig.com/...ion/#entry39721

Posted Image

#23 srm86

srm86
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Admin
  • SixtyGig Admin

• 1,557 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 28 June 2015 - 08:49 AM

For that matter it might also be helpful to know how the server has been administrated until now. I know Ros vets the greenies and tears down old builds that have been abandoned. Ori sorts out the people who don't check in. Ray whitelisted, reset the worlds, banned people, maintained the backend of it all and had final say on all the decisions.

Stacy has held a few jobs, most recently Defender of the Forums / Cat Wrangler.  

I really love that job title! I've also been Ray's sounding board, which I'm good at I think. Mostly because I tell him if something is stupid or not. I'm good at telling people if something is stupid!

#24 Captain_Marko

Captain_Marko
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,091 posts
  • LocationUK & much further East
  • Nationality:British

Posted 29 June 2015 - 12:01 AM

:D

I Never Ever Nether ™

Read the 60Gig FAQ!

#25 Baeldeth

Baeldeth
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 37 posts
  • LocationMarshall, SK
  • Nationality:Canadian

Posted 29 June 2015 - 07:19 PM

Hello SGers, 

I don't know too much about running a minecraft server. However, I have been toying around with purchasing a VPS and this would give me a reason to actually go through with it. I won't have it for about a week but thought I would throw this out there because I need somewhere to go to play minecraft once in a while with some cool people and I always thought it would be fun to learn to run a minecraft server when I could afford one.

#26 srm86

srm86
  • Admin
  • SixtyGig Admin

• 1,557 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 02 July 2015 - 08:41 PM

So.... I purchased Minecraft hosting, but I'm still trying to figure out how to get it set up so bear with me here, folks. But once I've got it set up and people can actually access it, I'll post the info here. :)

#27 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla
  • Nationality:American

Posted 02 July 2015 - 10:32 PM

Great! If you need any pointers I'm sure many would be happy to help ;)
There used to be something here..

#28 DrCrowtron

DrCrowtron
  • PipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Plank

• 244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 July 2015 - 06:05 AM

Just remember to cuss a lot and it will go smoothly. Also, stalk Ray in person. He likes that.

#29 srm86

srm86
  • Admin
  • SixtyGig Admin

• 1,557 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 03 July 2015 - 10:27 AM

Just remember to cuss a lot and it will go smoothly. Also, stalk Ray in person. He likes that.

I already do that, so I'm a step ahead of the game!

I figured it would be best to keep all of the new server info in one place, so I guess I'll just keep updating this thread? I've got the server up and running. The IP is: 167.114.156.63:25599    158.69.9.97

A few things to know:

1.) It is running on Spigot 1.8.7 currently. This is subject to change.

2.) This server is very much a work in progress. Please do not expect it to be in a "finished" state right now. I am still trying to work out the kinks, find plugins, set everything up, etc. Please feel free to come and play, but please don't be offended if things get changed or whatever. I'm trying to set this new community up as quickly as possible, but remember - I've got a kiddo and responsibilities and shiz.

Methods of contact:

You can always contact me via forum PM or Steam (my username is stacyrose86, I think).

#30 DrCrowtron

DrCrowtron
  • PipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Plank

• 244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 July 2015 - 01:18 PM

I'm gonna touch all of your things later. I may or may not have an exotic strain of ebola on my crevate.

#31 srm86

srm86
  • Admin
  • SixtyGig Admin

• 1,557 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 03 July 2015 - 04:27 PM

I feel offended and strangely aroused.

#32 simonparnell

simonparnell
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Coal

• 642 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 03 July 2015 - 05:04 PM

I'm volunteering. 

Especially in jobs that are tedious but take time.

Posted Image

#33 srm86

srm86
  • Admin
  • SixtyGig Admin

• 1,557 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 03 July 2015 - 05:16 PM

The biggest help anybody can be at this point in time is to learn about Spigot and help me understand Spigot plugins. Right now I'm looking at https://www.spigotmc...ces/categories/ and I'm confused by the different categories. There are some that say "Bungee - Bukkit". Does that mean that I have to run Bukkit and Spigot? How does that even work? 

There needs to be An Idiot's Guide To Running A Spigot Server.

#34 Schematix

Schematix
  • PipPip
  • Established
  • Plank

• 241 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 03 July 2015 - 07:12 PM

Spigot is just a modification of the bukkit project. 

https://www.spigotmc...i/about-spigot/

BungeeCord appears to be a add on to Spigot that allows you to tie multiple servers together. 

https://www.spigotmc...out-bungeecord/

I have literally found your idiot's dummy's guide to running a spigot server. Here's the Spigot API that goes along with it. Here's an installation guide for Spigot. That installation guide says that installing plugins is very similar to installing plugins with Bukkit, but I don't know how to do that. :D

Edit (18 minutes later): I keep adding edits to this but they don't save for some reason...

I assume the only plugins we're going to need are a multiworld plugin, a rollback/data logging plugin, and a backup plugin. The rollback and backup plugins might take up too much space/memory for the server to handle however. 

Spigot plugin that handles bukkit plugins for block loggers/rollbacks. This plugin is supported by the previous one and it looks alright? There's a lot of stuff out there and my indecisiveness isn't going to keep me from picking the first good looking plugin and moving on. 

Multiverse 2, even has the portals. Here's a backup plugin.  Hey look, its dynmap too!

Smile! :)

#35 srm86

srm86
  • Admin
  • SixtyGig Admin

• 1,557 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 03 July 2015 - 08:26 PM

You. Are. Awesome.

I've been staring at plugins this afternoon, trying to figure out which ones we'll need and what's important and what's not. I want to keep us as vanilla as possible, like we have been so far. I need to figure out how to do whitelisting too, because right now our server is just fully open.

I'll be working on it again a bit tomorrow. :)

#36 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 03 July 2015 - 10:42 PM

Here's an idea: What if Ray posted the entire server file system? This would give valuable information on how the server was run, what plug-ins were used, etc. We could copy over the whitelist and permissions hierchy!
There used to be something here..

#37 Captain_Marko

Captain_Marko
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,091 posts
  • LocationUK & much further East

Posted 03 July 2015 - 11:59 PM

It's up for dl now  8) Has plugins but I haven't checked it for permission yml file etc.

I Never Ever Nether ™

Read the 60Gig FAQ!

#38 srm86

srm86
  • Admin
  • SixtyGig Admin

• 1,557 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 July 2015 - 12:16 AM

Yeah, I'd asked him earlier about what plugins, etc and he said he was posting the whole thing so I could have a go at it. What a twat. :P

#39 simonparnell

simonparnell
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Coal

• 642 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 04 July 2015 - 05:36 AM

Yeah, I'd asked him earlier about what plugins, etc and he said he was posting the whole thing so I could have a go at it. What a ****. :P

LOL

Posted Image

#40 srm86

srm86
  • Admin
  • SixtyGig Admin

• 1,557 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 July 2015 - 10:31 AM

So I had bought a dedicated IP and noticed that we couldn't connect to the just straight IP. So I bugged the server about it (they're going to get tired of getting tickets from me) and the new IP should be: 158.69.9.97

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users