#1 Drahmee

Drahmee
  • Pip
  • Established
  • Log

• 101 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 07:47 PM

Hi All,

Sorry to post here, but I am unable to add to that thread, so here goes.

I've been playing MC since August of 2010, and have been an admin on two servers. On one I was the banhammer, whitelister, and general noob destroyer. On the other I did backend stuff in the console and plugin research.

The FigureHead you seek needs a few qualities, with any not listed here being a bonus.

1. Needs to have earned respect from almost all current Admins/Vets, etc.

2. Needs to be a manager of people.

3. Needs to be level-headed, with lots of common sense.

That's it.

One person can never do it all in an endeavour this expansive. They MUST learn to delegate responsibilities, then trust their people to meet the given deadline. That requires the ability to pick the right person for a job. They need to have the respect of others so that people don't compare the job they are doing to the way Ray did things.

My step-by-step suggestion going forward is this:

1. Whitelist me

2. Share with everyone your skillset in the thread I created called "My Mad Skillz"

3. Figure out who is completely respected here, and would make a good manager. Make that person the FigureHead

4. Have the FigureHead choose who should fill all the necessary roles. (It sounds like most roles except those filled by Ray are already being done, so those roles could continue with their current person)

5. Support the FigureHead!

6. If you haven't done #1, go do it NOW!

Thanks for listening!

Doug (AKA Drahmee)

#2 srm86

srm86
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Admin
  • SixtyGig Admin

• 1,557 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 28 June 2015 - 08:51 AM

This is very well thought-out! I'd encourage those who are not white-listed to add to this thread as they see fit! Also, I for sure agree on your 3 points regarding what's needed in a FigureHead.

#3 MrGunzy

MrGunzy
  • Applicant
  • Tree Puncher

• 10 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 10:29 AM

I posted a few thoughts in another thread regarding a new server but this one should probably be the official thread for us non-whitelisters as srm86 encouraged, so I'll reiterate and share some more here. 

First of all, as I was only a brand new applicant before SG ended I hope you don't mind my participation here. I would very much like to be a part of this community. So much in fact that I haven't even bothered looking elsewhere to join because I feel like this is the best group and right place for me so I'd love to see it continue and am willing to wait for it. 

I definitely agree with Drahmee's 3 points for a FigureHead. Its a big job but like Drahmee said, they can't do it alone. Just from what I've read here on the forum, there are several members that would be more than willing to help out and everyone seems to get a long nicely. 

That makes a huge difference and the role of the FigureHead much more manageable. I served as FigureHead on my previous server and it was such a great group, I rarely had to do anything but whitelist new members. Granted, we were pure vanilla so I didn't have to worry about maintaining plugins, etc but as far as managing goes the server nearly managed itself. Is pure vanilla an option? It would certainly make things more simple, however I just don't have much experience with plugins to know all the benefits. 

Regarding cost, since this is mostly an adult server I'd expect most of us could manage a single dollar or two every month or even every other month. I'd certainly be willing to contribute. A dollar or two a month is more than worth it for me to be part of a great Minecraft community. 

I used a few different hosts throughout my former career as a FigureHead. My favorite was BeastNode. They seemed to offer the best performance and technical help. This was about a year ago.

#4 the_assasain

the_assasain
  • Tree Puncher

• 21 posts
  • LocationJacksonville Texas
  • Nationality:American

Posted 02 July 2015 - 12:11 AM

As Ray said himself, someone or a group of people could always become admin(s) while he covers the cost for awhile. But I agree with dramee and I hope we could get whitelisted but I think priority should be finding a new admin(s) to run the server before we can get whitelisted so we can actually play... I feel like I'm droning... I don't know but I hope the 60G sever has a future.

#5 Drahmee

Drahmee
  • Pip
  • Established
  • Log

• 101 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 05:29 PM

As it is, another server I have been a part of, but which is rather quiet lately may as a last choice be able to import the map and continue the map as it is. I've talked not to the owner, but the most active admin, and he seemed interested. I'll watch and see what the resolution is here before bringing this idea to the forefront again.

#6 iVan

iVan
  • Tree Puncher

• 29 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 04:58 AM

All hail the admin !

How does his redness feels regarding us peasant tree punchers,

we who came after the "Great Collapse" and are we welcome in this new era ?

(when you go online with server we can connect too, right ?)

#7 srm86

srm86
  • Admin
  • SixtyGig Admin

• 1,557 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 July 2015 - 09:36 AM

She doesn't have any particular opinion about the newbies. She's focused on getting the server up and running before she even thinks about that. :)

What is most likely to happen is once the server is set up, we will continue as normal with the monthly apps (as long as Ros wants to continue on) and monthly check-ins (as long as Ori wants to continue on). But the first priority right now is setting up the server and getting it running.

#8 Rosleen

Rosleen
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Application Manager

• 2,622 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark
  • Nationality:Danish/Iranien

Posted 04 July 2015 - 10:20 AM

I don't think I am quite up for staying on as app manager I fear. My life is too chaotic atm, and I havn't really been playing this game in forever anyway. I'm sure who ever takes over the position will do a great job of it :)

Fueled by Tea and Chocolate

#9 srm86

srm86
  • Admin
  • SixtyGig Admin

• 1,557 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 July 2015 - 10:39 AM

I don't think I am quite up for staying on as app manager I fear. My life is too chaotic atm, and I havn't really been playing this game in forever anyway. I'm sure who ever takes over the position will do a great job of it :)

I had an inkling that was the case. :D That's totally okay! Once I get the server up and running, I'll make some more official announcements and we'll figure out how to go forward.

#10 Oribloke

Oribloke
  • PipPip
  • Veteran
  • Plank

• 238 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 04 July 2015 - 10:47 AM

What is most likely to happen is once the server is set up, we will continue as normal with the monthly apps (as long as Ros wants to continue on) and monthly check-ins (as long as Ori wants to continue on). But the first priority right now is setting up the server and getting it running.

I don't mind continuing on doing it. How about reviving the check-in thread next month, when the server is set up and all current players are whitelisted?

#11 srm86

srm86
  • Admin
  • SixtyGig Admin

• 1,557 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 July 2015 - 11:27 AM

I don't mind continuing on doing it. How about reviving the check-in thread next month, when the server is set up and all current players are whitelisted?

That would work for me. :) That gives me a full month to get things set up and in place too. And pick a new app manager.

#12 Drahmee

Drahmee
  • Pip
  • Established
  • Log

• 101 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 09:58 PM

And all newly approved non-whitelisted players who have already been approved are whitelisted...:)

#13 iVan

iVan
  • Tree Puncher

• 29 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 02:26 AM

Ummmm are you sure ?

I mean i still can't edit my profile on the forum or change my password,

nor join the server (maybe srm86 is using some black magic atm il try later again)

#14 srm86

srm86
  • Admin
  • SixtyGig Admin

• 1,557 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:06 AM

He was joking. (I assume.)  :) I'm not adding anybody to the whitelist that wasn't already on it until we get the server sorted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users