Photo

Keep the old map? Start fresh? Your votes matter!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

Poll: Old map? New map? (29 member(s) have cast votes)

What would you like to do with SixtyGig's map going forward?

1. Keep the old map! I worked hard on my build and I want to finish it! (6 votes [19.35%])

Percentage of vote: 19.35%

2. Start fresh! I want to see all the new content and the old map hinders that. (17 votes [54.84%])

Percentage of vote: 54.84%

3. Start fresh, but get a box of basic supplies to ease the transition. (1 votes [3.23%])

Percentage of vote: 3.23%

4. Start fresh, but let us pack up a hotel (like a few maps ago) and bring things over if we want to! (6 votes [19.35%])

Percentage of vote: 19.35%

5. Other (post thoughts below) (1 votes [3.23%])

Percentage of vote: 3.23%

Vote

#21 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla
  • Nationality:American

Posted 19 July 2015 - 10:02 AM

One issue that will appear with the end is 1.9. In 1.9, the structure of the end is completely new: and it is possible to respawn the dragon. We could solve this by having a "main" end separate from the wilds end -- not sure how taxing this would be on server resources.
There used to be something here..

#22 GarrikP

GarrikP
  • Veteran
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,042 posts
  • LocationEast Texas
  • Nationality:US

Posted 19 July 2015 - 10:29 AM

Schematix, the Wilds has always been a scheduled reset, to this point it's been every month, yet people still go there to gather and build simple sctructures. 

People of different playstyles have always gravitated to the map of their liking, being online at the same time still encouraged chat and everyone is as likely to visit builds on the other world as they would visit the other side of the same map (if they are inclined to visit other people at all, that is)

<Profound statement>

#23 srm86

srm86
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Admin
  • SixtyGig Admin

• 1,557 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 19 July 2015 - 11:38 AM

One issue that will appear with the end is 1.9. In 1.9, the structure of the end is completely new: and it is possible to respawn the dragon. We could solve this by having a "main" end separate from the wilds end -- not sure how taxing this would be on server resources.

Hmm... I guess we'll have to address that hurdle as it comes. Do we have any ideas as to when 1.9 is coming?

Also Stacy, I thought it was already agreed the End wouldn't be resetting. Or... We could build an enderfarm in a fresh end map, then save that map. Everytime someone somehow depletes the island of Endstone we revert to that saved map. This will probabpy never happen, but it would ease the qualms of people who think it might.  :P

If it was, I don't recall. :) If The End hasn't been resetting on the normal map, then that's what we'll stick to. Like I said, I haven't played for a while.

#24 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 19 July 2015 - 03:40 PM

Hmm... I guess we'll have to address that hurdle as it comes. Do we have any ideas as to when 1.9 is coming?

The first snapshot may be released in the next month or so.

Estimating a couple years? :P

If it was, I don't recall. :) If The End hasn't been resetting on the normal map, then that's what we'll stick to. Like I said, I haven't played for a while.

Yeah, we came to the conclusion relatively recently that the end shouldn't be reset. However, with the new end and the new map coming soon this is again up for discussion.

#25 srm86

srm86
  • Admin
  • SixtyGig Admin

• 1,557 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 19 July 2015 - 05:39 PM

Just a note: I'm going to keep this poll open until July 24th and we'll see where we stand. It appears that all the plugins are up and functional at this point. 

#26 Fizzlezapp

Fizzlezapp
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 80 posts
  • LocationWestern Mass

Posted 21 July 2015 - 01:41 PM

Hey guys, 

I voted to start fresh.  I don't get an opportunity to play very often with life and work but, it's the community that brings me back again and again.  The map and plug ins are very....VERY tertiary.

Love.

Fizz

#27 srm86

srm86
  • Admin
  • SixtyGig Admin

• 1,557 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 21 July 2015 - 03:41 PM

Seems like a majority so far want to start fresh. Remember folks, I'm making a decision Friday! Get your votes in!

#28 Drahmee

Drahmee
  • Pip
  • Established
  • Log

• 101 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 05:44 PM

Stacey,

Although I'm new, I'm going to give you whatever wisdom I have playing on many different kinds of servers.

I like the setup you have on SixtyGig with a reset Wild, but if you are considering a 1.8 world update, how about doing this:

Create the new 1.8 world as the Main World, and the old SixtyGig map as the Wilds. It has thus far been untouched, therefore it has natural resources to be mined. This would give current players lots of time to move their inventories over to the new world. Anyone who so desired could load the old map into SIngleplayer and use Schematica to be able to recreate their builds on the new map, or take screenshots and recreate that way.

Because the old map is so large, it would allow players to mine for up to a year, keeping the map for that time for old-times sake, knowing that it was an extended goodbye. When it has been sufficiently mined, you could replace it with a new Wilds (with all ores available at every level) and everyone would have had a long time to get their builds/mats moved.

My biggest peeve about servers is random resets, but this one has been very orderly, with great communication. Hopefully my suggestion would help players to have time to say goodbye to the old map and get what they need done over an extended timeframe.

Just my thoughts,

Doug

#29 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:20 PM

I'm not sure I like that idea... I feel like the gathering of resources and destruction of terrain would detract from the experience over time. If we did want to do an inventory transfer, I'd rather just have SG6 as a third map in addition to the wilds for a time.

On a different subject: I've decided to change my vote from no reset to start fresh. The fact that most want a reset combined with my general lack of attachment to builds has tipped my thoughts the other way.

#30 Schematix

Schematix
  • PipPip
  • Established
  • Plank

• 241 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 23 July 2015 - 10:20 AM

@Drahmee That actually sounds pretty wicked!

use Schematica to

Ooh, sounds dirty. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Anywho, I like that idea, except that I'd still want to start fresh so I'd have loads of resources laying around. We could doll out unclaimed or unwanted stuff via tournaments as an alternative to mining. Aa for keeping things looking good we could just ask people to be a bit more considerate of the landscape. E.g. don't take shears to a forest and then leave naked trees. (Am guilty)

Edit:Fixed words cuz' mobile. Also, I overlooked that the old map would be devoid of any of the 1.8 resources, duh, definitely a no-go then.
Smile! :)

#31 B01E

B01E
  • Pip
  • Established
  • Log

• 122 posts
  • LocationBorup, Sjælland, Denmark, Earth, Milkyway
  • Nationality:Danish

Posted 23 July 2015 - 10:29 AM

I think using the old map as a wilds sound like a good idea... sort of.

Yes, we can move a lot of stuff over to the new main map, but we will miss out on a lot of the new stuff. All the new rock types for instance, will not be available until we get a wilds version 1.8.

I support BD's idea of a third map for a shorter time, so people can move things to the new map, and still have a wilds version 1.8 to mine for resources. That would also give the wilds builders a world to live in from the start.

The wilds should be claimable to a degree, so people can build bigger, and not come back a week later to find the whole forest nearby or underground cleaned out.

Be who you are, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.

#32 srm86

srm86
  • Admin
  • SixtyGig Admin

• 1,557 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 23 July 2015 - 03:45 PM

As neat an idea as it sounds, we're not likely to do it due to a few very major points: 1) My own personal time constraints. Presenting the "fresh start" as an option is also a way to make better use of my personal time. Until quarterly is over, I only have the weekends to work on the server and I also have a 9-year-old son to spend time with. Unlike Ray (no offense, Ray! I love you!), I can't just sit and focus on a project without interruptions. 2) To allow users the opportunity to start over. If we're starting fresh, there's no need to drag out a "goodbye" to the map. Like a bandaid, it's better to just do rip it off. 3) It would be a vast drain on server resources. I would rather our resources be used for maps we're actually playing in. Not maps we maybe might want to "say goodbye" to or rip extra resources from. It's just not a good use of the server resources.

#33 B01E

B01E
  • Pip
  • Established
  • Log

• 122 posts
  • LocationBorup, Sjælland, Denmark, Earth, Milkyway
  • Nationality:Danish

Posted 24 July 2015 - 01:21 AM

Then I retract my suggestion. ,

Lets just get a clean new main map (hopefully with some interesting biomes), and a wilds to live in and loot.

Be who you are, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.

#34 srm86

srm86
  • Admin
  • SixtyGig Admin

• 1,557 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 24 July 2015 - 06:25 PM

Alright. Poll is closed as of now. :) Thanks to everybody who gave their opinions and input!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users