#1 srm86

srm86
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Admin
  • SixtyGig Admin

• 1,557 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 01 August 2015 - 11:54 PM

I've gotten a few questions about whether or not we'll be creating/designing a new SixtyCity and my go to answer has been "I'm leaving it up to you guys". That said, I figured I'd start a topic so that we can all get some thoughts and ideas going on SixtyCity. Should we make a SixtyCity? How should it look? Where should things go? Does anybody want to "lead" this project? What should the roads look like? Etc.

So feel free to put your thoughts down below and get this project rolling. :)

#2 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla
  • Nationality:American

Posted 02 August 2015 - 12:02 AM

Personally, I'd enjoy working on SixtyCity.

However, I'd rather it be less demanding than last time. Last time we clear cut and terraformed biomes, and added a wall all the way around. I think many would burn out this time, so I'd prefer to just make some main paths and building restrictions.
There used to be something here..

#3 zeophlite

zeophlite
  • Pip
  • Co-Admin
  • Log

• 123 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 07:26 AM

I like the idea of keeping the landscape as close to pristine as we can, and organically building houses in the spawn area.  The spawn area consists of a roofed forest on a river system, and I think that lends itself to a very interesting opportunities for building, as opposed to razing the forest and flattening it like the old map.

I was thinking of a large town hall at 0,0 with the 3 portals (3 wings to the building).  Then we have a rough circle surrounding the town hall, where we have the limit of one small plot per person.  We build paths and bridges connecting the homes.  Then a outside of the circle, we can build as much as we want.  The idea here is is a cosy town, where we are likely to run into each other at the start, and as the map develops, the city expands outwards.  The main question then is, how big is the "one house per person" circle.  I feel that the last map was too big for the town, as it never really filled up.

#4 B01E

B01E
  • Pip
  • Established
  • Log

• 122 posts
  • LocationBorup, Sjælland, Denmark, Earth, Milkyway
  • Nationality:Danish

Posted 02 August 2015 - 07:57 AM

I like the idea of a town hall in the middle, but the circle should not be outside the rest of the town, but around the town hall. Inside the circle is town hall and "official" buildings, Just outside the circle is where people can build a house.

The questions in my head are: should the roads be straight or organic, and should roads be built before houses, or grow with the city? Roads leading out from the town hall will set the standard for the roads.

And although I dont belive in limits to the town houses (build within reason) there should probably be restriction on redstone within a certain distance from the town hall. I personally dont have problems with lag, but not everyone has fiberoptic cables running into their houses, and a beefy computing powerhouse at their disposal.

I dont belive there will be map wide train track network, but how will we connect the map? If it will be portals placed at strategic points on the map, then there has to be room for more portals than wilds/nether/end in the town hall.

If no portals are built, then I think it will force people to live closer together, which may not be a bad thing.

Will someone (or more) take charge when it comes to the central city? A few general guidelines would be nice

Be who you are, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.

#5 zeophlite

zeophlite
  • Pip
  • Co-Admin
  • Log

• 123 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 09:16 AM

I vote for organic roads with a consist theme.

I've made a quick map of the spawn area.

15jloVk.png

I'm putting my hand up to build the town hall - I've got an interesting idea for the 3 portals, that I think would work well.  My thoughts are to construct it at the point T around (0, -50).  This area is a clearing in the roofed forest.

Point Z (-100,-50) is the little spot I've claimed for my spawn house.

The concentric circles are for different radii, to give an idea of the scale.  The "town" would extend out to around the town hall.

#6 Sivcere

Sivcere
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Established
  • Coal

• 668 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand
  • Nationality:Kiwi as bro

Posted 02 August 2015 - 11:28 PM

What if we had no limit at all.... Sg is a small group and we could just set up some basic builds and turn the whole biome into the spawn city.

I'm a cat now, how odd.

#7 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 03 August 2015 - 12:38 AM

While a nice and consistent theme would be cool, I'm afraid that would restrict city builds' style too much. I'm on board for consistent roads though!

Zeo, mind creating a mockup of the base in creative? I'm interested to see your idea! Also keep in mind that we should have our map portals in close proximity to the wilds/nether/end portals, so that would be a factor to consider as well.

Zac, I'm afraid that we would run out of space very quickly... Those small "hub houses" would be massively overshadowed by those who chose to build close to the center.

#8 Elly_Roo

Elly_Roo
  • Established
  • Tree Puncher

• 38 posts
  • LocationGulf Breeze, Florida

Posted 03 August 2015 - 08:00 AM

I like the idea of a organic natural city build, nothing too fussy. Like a settlement in the wilderness with minimal terraforming.

What if instead of a building style theme there was another unifying factor like bright colors or a particular building material? Not necessary of course, but it might be fun.

Maybe the roads could be in one of the new stones we have to work with.

Minecraft: Like Legos but with death.

#9 srm86

srm86
  • Admin
  • SixtyGig Admin

• 1,557 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 03 August 2015 - 11:48 AM

Feel free to start posting some mock ups of road ideas guys. Pictures help make things come to life :D

#10 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 03 August 2015 - 10:14 PM

The dragon egg should probably be put somewhere near the center! I left it on it's original pedestal if someone ends up building central and wants to use it.

#11 Schematix

Schematix
  • PipPip
  • Established
  • Plank

• 241 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 04 August 2015 - 06:42 AM

Whenever I try to do organic builds without literally doing trees and whatnot I usually just make gravel roads and stick to simple materials, lkke stone and wood for homes. Its just a thin road with some gravel intermixed in order to give the impression of the wear of a traveller's foot. I think it would be fun to have some roads that go through the forest, that way players can just carve little areas for their own local homes.

While I thought it was appropriate for SixtyCity 6.0 I think we could ease up on the building rules slightly. Even with those rules 6.0 was still a lagfest for more weaker computers and the city itself was probably only half filled.

If we're still shooting for a big central city city, and not some town, then ya probably should disregard what I'm sayin'. :P

I'll tell ya though, I'm hoping to build me a treehouse! I'll be back home on Thursday.
Smile! :)

#12 Sivcere

Sivcere
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Established
  • Coal

• 668 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 04 August 2015 - 01:15 PM

Zac, I'm afraid that we would run out of space very quickly... Those small "hub houses" would be massively overshadowed by those who chose to build close to the center.

Fait point, I was just thinking of having a bunch of cabins in the woods. Though that might make a nice build.

Whenever I try to do organic builds without literally doing trees and whatnot I usually just make gravel roads and stick to simple materials, lkke stone and wood for homes. Its just a thin road with some gravel intermixed in order to give the impression of the wear of a traveller's foot. I think it would be fun to have some roads that go through the forest, that way players can just carve little areas for their own local homes.

c9JvNMC.png

Something like that path maybe?

I'm a cat now, how odd.

#13 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 04 August 2015 - 01:19 PM

That path looks good! Personally, I'd stick some coarse dirt and podzol in there to match the roofed forest.

#14 zeophlite

zeophlite
  • Pip
  • Co-Admin
  • Log

• 123 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 01:03 AM

I like it too.  Adding smooth stone and raw andesite also blends in well.

Blue, for the town hall, I was thinking of a + shape, with 3 wings, one for each portal.  The wings would be based on the portal they hold, then the 4th would be like a map room / information hub.  I've mocked up something simple in creative to give you an idea what I'm on about

#15 srm86

srm86
  • Admin
  • SixtyGig Admin

• 1,557 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 05 August 2015 - 06:34 AM

Wow, I think that looks really neat. :o What does everybody else think? Maybe we could put a couple of chests on the main map near the portals for donations for the town builds?

#16 Elly_Roo

Elly_Roo
  • Established
  • Tree Puncher

• 38 posts
  • LocationGulf Breeze, Florida

Posted 05 August 2015 - 07:14 AM

Awesome job, Zeo. Dooo Eeet.

I also like the crooked organic paths with gravel dirt and podzol.

I'll start bringing by some supplies from the Wilds. 

Minecraft: Like Legos but with death.

#17 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 05 August 2015 - 10:18 AM

That looks great! I'd say go for it.

What are you thinking for the outside? :)

I'd be happy to help donate some mats, if I have any you need.

#18 Sivcere

Sivcere
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Established
  • Coal

• 668 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 05 August 2015 - 12:47 PM

I like it too.  Adding smooth stone and raw andesite also blends in well.

There is some smooth stone in there, personally I'm not a fan of adding waaay too much detail just enough to break it up.

I'm a cat now, how odd.

#19 B01E

B01E
  • Pip
  • Established
  • Log

• 122 posts
  • LocationBorup, Sjælland, Denmark, Earth, Milkyway
  • Nationality:Danish

Posted 06 August 2015 - 11:58 AM

I have donated some materials and put them right next to the building site of the new town hall. I'll continue to add more materials as I collect them. I'm not sure what you need to build exactly, even though I have an idea from your pictures, so I'll just be adding whatever I can find.

If you have specific materials, that you need, just list them here, and I'll try to find them and bring them to the main map.

I also added some torches to the build area, so you should have less problems with mobs while building.

Be who you are, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.

#20 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 06 August 2015 - 03:05 PM

In addition to the hub, we should probably discuss building limits within the city. Should we wait until the hub is finished to start our houses? How big is the city going to be? Are we going to have rails going out, like last time, and where should they go?

Depending if "city hall" is tall or not, we might want to remove the "don't build higher than city hall" limit.

On another topic:

What are we going to do for portal placement? If I remember correctly, SG5 had 8 portals surrounding the center, each half way to the edge:

WKIRoeA.png

This seemed to work well, and I'd vote for doing it again.

The exact portal locations would each be at:

1875, 0

-1875, 0

0, 1875

0, -1875

1875, 1875

-1875, -1875

1875, -1875

-1875, 1875

Thoughts?

0 user(s) are reading this topic