B01E
  • Pip
  • Established
  • Log

• 122 posts
  • LocationBorup, Sjælland, Denmark, Earth, Milkyway
  • Nationality:Danish

Posted 14 August 2015 - 07:44 AM

What should we do for transport on SG7? (Besides the portals)
Organic roads have been suggested, as has rail lines.

I doubt anyone is interested in building the grand trainstations (I mean the redstone part) of SG6, but it would be nice to have a place near portals to end a railline from the builds. A very simple trainstation with maybe 8 connections on 2 sides, and no redstone?

I would also like to know what roads we should build? I can make broad highways, but a more discrete 3-4 block wide road moving with the landscape would probably look better in most biomes. Can we agree on a design, or should it just be a maximum of 5 blocks wide and not i straight lines?

Add your suggestions for roads and rails here.

Be who you are, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.

#2 simonparnell

simonparnell
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Coal

• 642 posts
  • LocationUK
  • Nationality:British

Posted 14 August 2015 - 01:23 PM

I'd second that last idea - any design that fits the landscape and max 5 blocks wide.  I've held of doing anymore to my road until a decision is made for the map :)

Posted Image

#3 GarrikP

GarrikP
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,042 posts
  • LocationEast Texas
  • Nationality:US

Posted 14 August 2015 - 08:14 PM

I would support changing roads actually.
If someone were to start a road style for spawn/"downtown", then I feel that anyone that builds onto that road *IN THAT AREA* follow the design (at least mostly), but as those roads pass biomes, walls or chasms & rivers that the style *COULD* change to suit the new area or neighborhood.

I've always enjoyed more meandering paths (even railways) than a 5,000 block long straight line, though for a giant highway or mainstream rail line it's just so easy.

<Profound statement>

#4 Likliksnek

Likliksnek
  • PipPip
  • Established
  • Plank

• 252 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany
  • Nationality:German

Posted 14 August 2015 - 10:01 PM

I like variation and roads shouldnt be all the same. 3-5 blocks wide sounds perfect. Maybe also see that there is an at least 3 blocks high space above them for the riders.

Lets give this map a grown, rather than a planned look, if you know what I mean.

Although the one block wide railline in the sky should still be a no go ;)

For the portal rail lines I'd suggest that the first who connects their rails to the portal builds a little somewhat expandable station. I vote for keeping everything simple and only adjust redstone fancies for personal needs.

#5 skydealer

skydealer
  • PipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Plank

• 256 posts
  • LocationUSA - Winston, GA

Posted 16 August 2015 - 11:09 AM

How about a variety of roads, but at the same time have them pre-approved?  In other words - We could have a main highway that maybe goes north/south/east/west from the hub. That road could incorporate both a walking and a rail line.

Any other road or path can be attached to it and be the personal design of whomever is building it.  That would add personal touches and uniqueness. 

Bridges over water would need to be high enough so players in boats can pass under though.

#6 zeophlite

zeophlite
  • Pip
  • Co-Admin
  • Log

• 123 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 01:23 AM

I like the idea of being a little bit more free form with the railways / roads

#7 B01E

B01E
  • Pip
  • Established
  • Log

• 122 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 02:21 AM

Can we agree on a station design?

Zeoph made a really nice station under the town hall, but that design requires redstone to work. I tried looking at the design for the redstone at SG6, but I'm not that good. Nor do I even come close to having those resources yet.

I was picturing a station more like a long platform, where people could end their lines on both sides. Then just a block with a button on top to end the line and the 3 powered rails to get the cart moving was all that was needed for each line. A chest filled with carts for the lines should probably be somewhere, but that was it. Is that too simple?

What do we do for stations?

And what about the rails themselves:

Do we make them like on SG6 for the individual lines (in a tunnel deep enough to not bother anyone), and then a few public lines at ground level?

Or do we keep it to the private lines running in tunnels?

Or make the whole thing a little above sea level, with beautiful bridges and nice tunnels, but up to individuals where to run the lines (organic)?

What do you think?

Be who you are, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.

#8 zeophlite

zeophlite
  • Pip
  • Co-Admin
  • Log

• 123 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 03:40 AM

My vote is for "make the whole thing a little above sea level, with beautiful bridges and nice tunnels, but up to individuals where to run the lines (organic)?"

This reduces the clutter of rail lines, and means that multiple people can use them.

Also for the station redstone, I was thinking instead of SG6 stations, something similar to this tutorial .  But slightly modified:

Zfxh5By.png

You stand on the pressure plate, and dispenser shoots out a cart onto the powered rail.  The plate unpowers the rail, so when you right click on the cart, you board it, and then the plate deactivates, powering the rail.

iXaZ8wY.png

Build materials: rails, 2 hoppers, dispenser, dropper, pressure plate, 1 redstone dust, 1 redstone torch, 1 cactus - Its super simple

#9 B01E

B01E
  • Pip
  • Established
  • Log

• 122 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 06:52 AM

That looks simple and easy, but we probably need more than 4 connections on each station.

If you know how, can you add the button selector and redstone for the outbound lines.

I think maybe 4 in each direction will be enough, although I could be wrong.

I know SG6 had 8 in each direction, but as far as I remember, I never saw more than 4 used.

I found this in youtube, and this looks simple enough to build and use: 

#10 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla
  • Nationality:American

Posted 19 August 2015 - 09:40 AM

That YouTube design is brilliant! Never thought to use analog.

As for the rail design, I think that it should be made pretty, but up to the player to decide whether they want above ground or underground.
There used to be something here..

#11 merlinver

merlinver
  • Pip
  • Established
  • Log

• 143 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, FL

Posted 19 August 2015 - 08:04 PM

O god the idea of installing a rail system again makes me want to cry......

Changes aren't permanent.
But change is.

#12 Captain_Marko

Captain_Marko
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,091 posts
  • LocationUK & much further East
  • Nationality:British

Posted 19 August 2015 - 11:38 PM

What he said...... aaaaarrrrrrrrr

I Never Ever Nether ™

Read the 60Gig FAQ!

#13 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 20 August 2015 - 12:07 AM

Oh, I sure hope we're not doing anything like last time. That was painful... Hopefully it'll all be up to the player this time around.

#14 B01E

B01E
  • Pip
  • Established
  • Log

• 122 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 12:32 AM

I think the best solution is to make some fairly simple trainstations at the town hall and portal houses.

Then it's up to people if and when to connect to those trainstations.

And it's up to people if they want to build a scenic rail line with bridges on the surface, or an awesome tunnel of lightning down below.

And if someone (or more) wants to build a rail line connecting one or more stations - that's up to them.

#15 Likliksnek

Likliksnek
  • PipPip
  • Established
  • Plank

• 252 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany
  • Nationality:German

Posted 20 August 2015 - 07:36 AM

Even the portalhouse railstations could be "on demand", meaning when the first person actually needs it. :)

#16 Elly_Roo

Elly_Roo
  • Established
  • Tree Puncher

• 38 posts
  • LocationGulf Breeze, Florida

Posted 20 August 2015 - 12:22 PM

Got our rail line done yesterday, we ended up going North and having it come out near the North portal. At the time we started it we didn't know there was going to be any rail station at the Town Hall, and thought if we went north to the North portal we could avoid being in the way.

So (in a few days when we're done laying track), if anyone needs to get to the North Central part of the map (around Roo-topia), you can hop through the North portal and take a minecart south.

Minecraft: Like Legos but with death.

#17 B01E

B01E
  • Pip
  • Established
  • Log

• 122 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 01:33 PM

The trainstation for south bound traffic for the town hall has been built. It works, but looks like...  stone. I hope someone with better skillz than I can make it look better. It's the 8 track station I put a link to earlier.

Aaand I hope you all will also test it, so we are sure it works if that becomes the trainstations we build.

Check it out.

If we decide to build more of these, I will gladly do the remaining 3 in the town hall. It is fairly easy to make.

How to use:

Choose destination using the dial.

Press launch button

Quickly hop in the minecart that appears

Be transported to you destination.

#18 Sivcere

Sivcere
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Established
  • Coal

• 668 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand
  • Nationality:Kiwi as bro

Posted 24 August 2015 - 01:02 PM

Time for me to chime in here. There is in fact a third choice now. The PPTS!

The PPTS is the Piston Powered Transport System. Using slime blocks and Pistons you can make a moving machine that can fly. There's not too much set up involved so it's pretty easy to do. Designs have been made of going to ways. The only issue is there can only be one in flight at a time.

I'm a cat now, how odd.

#19 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 24 August 2015 - 03:20 PM

Time for me to chime in here. There is in fact a third choice now. The PPTS!

The PPTS is the Piston Powered Transport System. Using slime blocks and Pistons you can make a moving machine that can fly. There's not too much set up involved so it's pretty easy to do. Designs have been made of going to ways. The only issue is there can only be one in flight at a time.

Eh. Not sure about this.

From my experimentation, it is extremely slow, and the stations are quite ugly (with obsidian or furnaces everywhere). With something smaller-scale like we've been doing, I'm personally sticking to rails! But, of course, it's up to user discretion ;)

#20 zeophlite

zeophlite
  • Pip
  • Co-Admin
  • Log

• 123 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 07:02 PM

Due to server lag, I wasn't able to board a minecart before it left the station, so I've modified the design slightly.  Also, I've modified the lines so its easier to connect to your base.  Lines #1 and #8 are fully functional

I've also redone the 2nd basement of the town hall.  I assume that we can add 3 more 8-way rail stations as more people build in the area.

I've made a map with the approximate location of the rail lines that have been set up.

qQOyVwq.png

#8 is to B10E's base.  To build a railway, you need to approach from the positive Z axis (in direction of the arrow).

#1: -33, 49, -26 - Unclaimed

#2: -35, 49, -26 - Unclaimed

#3: -37, 49, -26 - Unclaimed

#4: -39, 49, -26 - Unclaimed

#5: -41, 49, -26 - Unclaimed

#6: -43, 49, -26 - Unclaimed

#7: -45, 49, -26 - Unclaimed

#8: -47, 49, -26 - B10E

So if you want to connect to #1, you should have a line running from say -33, 49, -15 to -33, 49, -26

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users