B01E
  • Pip
  • Established
  • Log

• 122 posts
  • LocationBorup, Sjælland, Denmark, Earth, Milkyway
  • Nationality:Danish

Posted 25 August 2015 - 11:20 AM

I came into the station yesterday and found empty minecarts being sent down the lines...

It turns out a pig stepped on the pressure plate, and when it let go, the cart was sent off to being stuck on whatever line the dial was set to. The pig is now porkchops and the carts have been returned to the system.

Be who you are, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.

#22 zeophlite

zeophlite
  • Pip
  • Co-Admin
  • Log

• 123 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 11:22 PM

Maybe a fence gate to stop mmobs from wandering in?

#23 Likliksnek

Likliksnek
  • PipPip
  • Established
  • Plank

• 252 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany
  • Nationality:German

Posted 22 October 2015 - 11:42 PM

The eastern portal now has a sexy station underneath complete with temporary chests and coffeeshop!

A projekt of OriLik Inc.! ;)

Spoiler

Enjoy! :)

#24 Oribloke

Oribloke
  • PipPip
  • Veteran
  • Plank

• 238 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 23 October 2015 - 01:41 AM

The eastern portal now has a sexy station underneath complete with temporary chests and coffeeshop!

A projekt of OriLik Inc.! ;)

All sexyness is to Lik's credit ;)

#25 LadyEh

LadyEh
  • PipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Workwench

• 371 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada
  • Nationality:Maple Syrup

Posted 23 October 2015 - 03:24 PM

Looks amazing guys! :D

"There are few things in the world that make me angrier than poverty, the lack of basic human civil rights, and the fact that most women's clothes don't have pockets." --Jenny Lawson, Furiously Happy

#26 GreenishTroll

GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey
  • Nationality:USA

Posted 25 October 2015 - 08:29 PM

Did we make a decision about rail lines?  Can they be above or below ground - up to the builder?

#27 zeophlite

zeophlite
  • Pip
  • Co-Admin
  • Log

• 123 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 09:11 PM

Up to the builder, but as long as its not a 2x1 corridor - you should make it pretty!

#28 dc4460

dc4460
  • Tree Puncher

• 23 posts
  • LocationSomerset
  • Nationality:British

Posted 02 January 2016 - 04:08 AM

I'm all fore building roads/rails taking a pleasant route from one place to the other.  

Can we instead of having the rail tracks going down gullies and valleys can we have some lovely constructed bridges...

Are we going to have the rail lines elevated to stop mobs getting on the tracks like in the Wilds?

Also at spawn under the portals there seems to be some rail track station? Are we planning having a rail station at ground level?

May be old and grey, but young at heart

#29 B01E

B01E
  • Pip
  • Established
  • Log

• 122 posts
  • LocationBorup, Sjælland, Denmark, Earth, Milkyway
  • Nationality:Danish

Posted 02 January 2016 - 07:17 AM

I don't think a surface level station is planned, as it would take up a large area. The sub portal one can be lead up to the surface just outside the city, and continued either at ground level or elevated.

You were not here for SG6, but it had an extensive rail system with large stations at 24 locations in a grid on the very large map. It took something like 45 minutes to get from corner to opposite corner. The building of this very beautiful railroad cost the server a few members, and the rest of the builders were deterred from doing a project like that again.

If anyone wants to build rails moving through the landscape, it should probably be decided by the veterans what routes can be used. 

Should it be from portal to portal, or can it be from build to build? I can see very clear advantages in both, but I would suggest a rail line from build to build in a not planned spiderweb. The rail line would not be the principal way to get somewhere, and if it moves from build to build, you can choose the route you'd like to explore and experience.

Be who you are, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.

#30 ananda11

ananda11
  • PipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Workbench

• 373 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA
  • Nationality:Irish-German

Posted 02 January 2016 - 12:12 PM

The current map may have a finite life just as all maps have had in the past, we cant really ruin anything by building new rails. Railroads should use existing terrains to minimize their footprint as much as practical. All bridges should be justified, we ought to have a reasonable effort to make them look supported, architecturally. They should be well lit and elevated to keep mobs off and not present an obsticle to ground or water travel. This is in keeping with SG5 rail guidelines, which was arguably the best incarnation of Sixty Gig  so far. (Present server notwithstanding)

#31 GreenishTroll

GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 23 January 2016 - 07:04 AM

Someone has built a rail link from Central to the Southwest portal.  I don't know who but Drahmee seems to have done some building around the SW portal.   I'd like to build a spur line from my base to somewhere about in the middle of that line.  It's a much shorter distance than any connection to one of the portals, and has been previously noted, I don't want to invest more time than necessary in buiding raile lines and then lose it in a map reset.  After having built many lines and bridges in the prior map, it broke my heart to see them go.

Anyone have any objections to this connection?  We seem to be following a more relaxed railway infrastructure policy now.  I'll be sure to build my personal switch in such a way that Central - SW travellers are not inconvenienced in any way.  I'll also improve the SW rail termination a little so that it can collect and launch carts.  Right now it is just a dead end rail.  I won't build a station at this time.  

#32 Likliksnek

Likliksnek
  • PipPip
  • Established
  • Plank

• 252 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany
  • Nationality:German

Posted 24 January 2016 - 01:04 AM

Hey GT,

I don't think we have any raillines from central to portals built or planned. Having the portals to travel would make that kind of redundant. Maybe Rootbrew plans on a line from central to his place? You could hook up with him. I'm happy to help you dig if you decide to go your own way! :)

#33 GreenishTroll

GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 24 January 2016 - 08:00 AM

Well there is one already built from Central to SW portals.  Someone got really inspired and built it.  I don't know why since as you say it's kind of redundant to build a rail line between portals.  But since it's there I want to tap into it half way, essentially making use of the first half of the line from Central, saving me a lot of digging.  I will build a button driven switch I can hit from by cart to divert to my place and it will then reset so that the Central to SW line is always the default.  

#34 zeophlite

zeophlite
  • Pip
  • Co-Admin
  • Log

• 123 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 07:08 AM

I say go for it GT

#35 GreenishTroll

GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 04 February 2016 - 06:21 PM

agree.  given a lack of vigorous opposition, why not?

#36 Drahmee

Drahmee
  • Pip
  • Established
  • Log

• 101 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 02:36 PM

The rail line from SW to spawn is my build, but I'd be happy to have you tap in to it!

#37 GreenishTroll

GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 07 February 2016 - 07:34 AM

The rail line from SW to spawn is my build, but I'd be happy to have you tap in to it!

Thanks. I'm also adding a cart receiving and launching system at the SW portal for the line.  I'm trying to not disturb anything already built there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users