#1 srm86

srm86
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Admin
  • SixtyGig Admin

• 1,557 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 12 September 2015 - 06:18 PM

Rosleen asked me today if I could either expand the Wilds border by 500 or just reset the Wilds. I haven't been on The Wilds lately so I'm not sure how mined up it is. Is it worth resetting at this point for the chance to get new biomes? Or would you rather just expand our current border a little?

#2 torcido

torcido
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Torch

• 762 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 12 September 2015 - 09:34 PM

Don't reset just for mining.  There is a ton of minable space still. 

Even within the area inside 500+/- of spawn, where a bunch of mines are intersecting (I've hit a few other peoples) there's still actually a lot of space between the mines (I'm shooting the gaps in some areas now).  I don't know if it's worth screening the wilds with a map tool to see the subsurface (versus the ease of just expanding the map), but I bet there's a ton to be mined still.  Possibly an excuse for someone to start a rail system to dump people out in the +/- 1500 range so there'd be less congestion?  I'd be willing to create a run or two if need be.

I have noticed the only Mesa biome just touches the southeast corner.  And I think the packed Ice Plains, MegaTaiga and Mooshroom Islands aren't represented at all within the current borders (though existing outside them).  Expanding for those might make sense, if there's demand, but they're like +2000 out, not +500.  Other biomes like desert and savannah seem to be represented pretty well, just far away (which expanding wouldn't help as you'd just be adding in more of the same even further away).

Basically, if it's for biomes, expand (a lot).  If it's for mining, we can rail out a bit.  No need to cut off people who have built their 'Wildside" homes thinking they'd have 6 months or so before a reset. 

Posted Image

#3 Rosleen

Rosleen
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Application Manager

• 2,622 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark
  • Nationality:Danish/Iranien

Posted 12 September 2015 - 11:59 PM

It would only be for biomes really, I'm sure there's plenty of mining space left :)  Seeing how far out these biomes are, I'd think a reset, to a map where they are a little better represented, would be easier.

Fueled by Tea and Chocolate

#4 LadyEh

LadyEh
  • PipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Workwench

• 371 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada
  • Nationality:Maple Syrup

Posted 13 September 2015 - 06:18 AM

Just expanding it would work.  Ya'll will just have to hoof it to get the blocks you want. :P

Ros and I made a run to the Mesa and pillaged the little corner that was accessible.  Then I left her in the woods on the run back and she may never forgive me for it.

There isn't much clay left, so if we're keeping this for a few months an expansion would be nice.  There's a teeny tiny section of an ice spike biome in the SE corner and there's a Mooshroom biome to the East.  And there's a Mega Taiga (for Podzol) to the SW.

I think that covers all the blocks.

"There are few things in the world that make me angrier than poverty, the lack of basic human civil rights, and the fact that most women's clothes don't have pockets." --Jenny Lawson, Furiously Happy

#5 mattdaddy2000

mattdaddy2000
  • Established
  • Tree Puncher

• 84 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada
  • Nationality:Canadian

Posted 13 September 2015 - 06:56 AM

I'd rather keep this wilds as I've only just recently started playing again and there is still tons of space for mining. I'm actually in the process of digging a long tunnel at level 11 that runs straight south. I plan to terminate it at a dessert biome 2500 out from spawn. It's open for anyone to branch mine from it. Just block off the branches as you finish with them. If we stick with this map I might expand the tunnel with a rail and make a south wilds station.
It would definitely be nice to have those other biomes even if they are way out there.

#6 EP43

EP43
  • Tree Puncher

• 27 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 13 September 2015 - 09:54 AM

Expand. Unless we are talking about 30 days or so from now. I expect the wilds wlll reset at some point, so I don't get too heavily invested in what I have there, but 15 to 30 day advance notice would be appreciated. :)

#7 B01E

B01E
  • Pip
  • Established
  • Log

• 122 posts
  • LocationBorup, Sjælland, Denmark, Earth, Milkyway
  • Nationality:Danish

Posted 13 September 2015 - 10:13 AM

I vote to expand. I will be trekking for the biomes that become accessible.

Be who you are, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.

#8 srm86

srm86
  • Admin
  • SixtyGig Admin

• 1,557 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 13 September 2015 - 10:18 AM

Well, the plan was to wait 3-6 months before even considering resetting the Wilds, but as Ros asked last night I thought I'd bring it up to discussion. It seems like the general consensus is to expand the border, so I'll do that later this week. Shouldn't be too disruptive, ideally.  :) Thanks for the input folks.

And, with regard to a reset, I'll give everybody at least 2 weeks notice, if not more, before resetting the Wilds. There's lots of folks who have their permanent residence there (myself included) so more notice is better. Don't fret.

#9 Sivcere

Sivcere
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Established
  • Coal

• 668 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand
  • Nationality:Kiwi as bro

Posted 14 September 2015 - 01:07 PM

I'm perfectly happy for the wilds to survive as long as possible I've set up a lovely corner and wish to keep it that way for some time.

I'm a cat now, how odd.

#10 Schematix

Schematix
  • PipPip
  • Established
  • Plank

• 241 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA
  • Nationality:American

Posted 14 September 2015 - 02:18 PM

I'm surprised there's already a need to expand or reset. Let me get things straight.

1. We need new biomes because there's a limited resource.

2. What is this limited resource? Hardened clay? Regular clay? I seriously doubt underground mining space is scarce, that map is gigantic for a miner.

3. Next time we do reset we should search for a map that is much more localized. I have a program named Amidst that lets you load up seeds fairly quickly. I used it to find a seed that represented every biome fairly well in a 1000x1000m area (which is really hard to do). A 3km^2 area could easily fit huge swaths of good biomes in it (speaking of which, I'm disappointed there isn't an ice plains biome on the main map).

4. We don't want to reset for convenience. Resetting for convenience means like 'theres no trees within 300m of spawn, this sucks!' Expanding wouldn't remedy that issue either.

Also, hi guys, I am still lurking, but I am in school now. :(

Smile! :)

#11 srm86

srm86
  • Admin
  • SixtyGig Admin

• 1,557 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 14 September 2015 - 04:18 PM

Ros' issue was that many biomes are apparently not represented. I'm not sure which biomes aren't represented as I haven't taken stock, but I don't think it hurts anything to expand the Wilds.

#12 Schematix

Schematix
  • PipPip
  • Established
  • Plank

• 241 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 14 September 2015 - 04:38 PM

Ros' issue was that many biomes are apparently not represented. I'm not sure which biomes aren't represented as I haven't taken stock, but I don't think it hurts anything to expand the Wilds.

I'm actually in there right now. I didn't realize the world border was smaller than the dynmap world border. There's no hardened clay to be found in the Wilds right now by the looks of it. I just reached the wall at 2.5k as I was heading out to investigate a village. If the Wilds is bound at the 2.5k mark in every direction then the southern mesa is unreachable. :(

Smile! :)

#13 GarrikP

GarrikP
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,042 posts
  • LocationEast Texas
  • Nationality:US

Posted 14 September 2015 - 06:08 PM

Having to wait for a specific resource or two could bring that little bit of challenge to our game.

After a few resets I imagine this won't be an issue, it's just while getting set back up on a new map. That's one of the drawbacks of starting completely fresh which we agreed on as a server.

<Profound statement>

#14 srm86

srm86
  • Admin
  • SixtyGig Admin

• 1,557 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 14 September 2015 - 07:09 PM

I'm actually in there right now. I didn't realize the world border was smaller than the dynmap world border. There's no hardened clay to be found in the Wilds right now by the looks of it. I just reached the wall at 2.5k as I was heading out to investigate a village. If the Wilds is bound at the 2.5k mark in every direction then the southern mesa is unreachable. :(

The border is only smaller right now because I was trying to adjust it last night and forgot to finish. It was originally 3570 in each direction. Whoops!

#15 Oribloke

Oribloke
  • PipPip
  • Veteran
  • Plank

• 238 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 17 September 2015 - 12:26 AM

I’m not sure what the actual coords of wilderness border are now, but If 5000 border shown on livemap corresponds to actual border in game, it still excludes mushroom island (-6100, -1000), mega taiga (-5900, 3200) and ice spikes (5000, 5500). How about expanding it to 6500 each direction?

#16 EP43

EP43
  • Tree Puncher

• 27 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 17 September 2015 - 10:45 PM

These are outside the current border, 2 Ice Spike Bioms, 1 on the main map here;

5TwyXup.png

And this second one on the Wilds map in the NE corner (also the one down SE as Oribloke said); 

KlUENFX.png

#17 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 17 September 2015 - 11:01 PM

These are outside the current border, 2 Ice Spike Bioms, 1 on the main map here;

And this second one on the Wilds map in the NE corner (also the one down SE as Oribloke said); 

Just FYI, we most likely won't expand the main map ;)
There used to be something here..

#18 Rosleen

Rosleen
  • Veteran
  • Application Manager

• 2,622 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 05:34 AM

I’m not sure what the actual coords of wilderness border are now, but If 5000 border shown on livemap corresponds to actual border in game, it still excludes mushroom island (-6100, -1000), mega taiga (-5900, 3200) and ice spikes (5000, 5500). How about expanding it to 6500 each direction?

Traveling 6000 blocks to be able to get our hands on something like podzol, seems awfully far to me. I might possibly be alone in this opinion, but wouldn't it be better to give a fair warning about a wilds reset, and then find a map where all these biomes are better represented, within a close range from 0.0?

#19 Rosleen

Rosleen
  • Veteran
  • Application Manager

• 2,622 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 05:38 AM

Like thisone for instance:

LOJcU8k.png

#20 Oribloke

Oribloke
  • PipPip
  • Veteran
  • Plank

• 238 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 18 September 2015 - 07:35 AM

Traveling 6000 blocks to be able to get our hands on something like podzol, seems awfully far to me. I might possibly be alone in this opinion, but wouldn't it be better to give a fair warning about a wilds reset, and then find a map where all these biomes are better represented, within a close range from 0.0?

I can adapt to anything what is decided. Even though I am one of those who have decent set up in current wilds (rail, building, farms, automatic zombie grinder and villager trading post), I am eager to incline towards reset, since in a long run it will pay off.

Moreover I think having a constant reset schedule (every 4 months or so) wouldn’t be a bad thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users