Blue_Dragon360
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla
  • Nationality:American

Posted 11 October 2015 - 04:53 PM

Would anyone care if I lit up the end? It would remove the snow, but it'd also remove all enderman spawns (at least in the traveled areas). During this process, I'll also add a better road and maybe a portal house.

The reason I ask is that there's a sign telling people not to add torches, but it seems to indicate that the snow is in place to reduce spawns (torches remove spawns).

Let me know what you guys think!

There used to be something here..

#2 LadyEh

LadyEh
  • PipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Workwench

• 371 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada
  • Nationality:Maple Syrup

Posted 11 October 2015 - 05:14 PM

No objections from me.

Suppose it's up to whoever laid out all the snow and snowmen.

"There are few things in the world that make me angrier than poverty, the lack of basic human civil rights, and the fact that most women's clothes don't have pockets." --Jenny Lawson, Furiously Happy

#3 Sivcere

Sivcere
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Established
  • Coal

• 668 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand
  • Nationality:Kiwi as bro

Posted 11 October 2015 - 10:36 PM

I've been unleashing snowmen every now and again to boost the supply but I'm not sure who put them there in the first place.

To be honest it shouldn't be a issue, torches will block spawns less snow, more light, less spawns. Snowmen will get the gaps the torches miss over time. 

I'm a cat now, how odd.

#4 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 11 October 2015 - 11:09 PM

To be honest it shouldn't be a issue, torches will block spawns less snow, more light, less spawns. Snowmen will get the gaps the torches miss over time.

Well, I'll use a custom light map which makes the too dark areas red. So hopefully there won't be any!

#5 zeophlite

zeophlite
  • Pip
  • Co-Admin
  • Log

• 123 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 08:26 PM

So the issue isn't actually spawns, but teleportable locations.  The endermen spawn elsewhere, then they teleport to the lit up cells, and because the enderman farm is within 128 blocks, they don't despawn.

#6 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 12 October 2015 - 11:13 PM

So the issue isn't actually spawns, but teleportable locations. The endermen spawn elsewhere, then they teleport to the lit up cells, and because the enderman farm is within 128 blocks, they don't despawn.

Are you sure? While building it, I could have sworn I made it more than 128 blocks...

Also, how does snow deal with the teleportation? Seems like torches would prevent spawning in the area entirely, which would be better than just reducing them (and removing teleportation).

#7 LadyEh

LadyEh
  • PipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Workwench

• 371 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada
  • Nationality:Maple Syrup

Posted 13 October 2015 - 06:57 AM

Also, how does snow deal with the teleportation?

They can't teleport onto the snow caps.

Makes sense then.  Thanks for the info, Zeo.  So basically, if the snow is removed, the farm will cease to function properly?

"There are few things in the world that make me angrier than poverty, the lack of basic human civil rights, and the fact that most women's clothes don't have pockets." --Jenny Lawson, Furiously Happy

#8 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 13 October 2015 - 07:22 AM

Also, how does snow deal with the teleportation?

They can't teleport onto the snow caps.

I knew that, but I was more wondering why lighting up wouldn't be the better solution, since they spawn on snow anyway ;)

I checked on the live map, and the grinder is over 128 blocks away, so they should despawn either way. Am I overlooking something?

#9 zeophlite

zeophlite
  • Pip
  • Co-Admin
  • Log

• 123 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 07:48 AM

So the theory was that endermen spawn at the back half of the island when you arrive, then teleport to the lit up area when you walk over to the farm side, then hang around while you are in the farm.

However, that doesn't matter, as you are right, its 128 blocks away so they should despawn anyway.  It just seems the farm has low rates.

Given all that, feel free to change it, but maybe not torch-spam, maybe something a bit pretty?

#10 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 13 October 2015 - 08:01 AM

So the theory was that endermen spawn at the back half of the island when you arrive, then teleport to the lit up area when you walk over to the farm side, then hang around while you are in the farm.

I see what you're saying now! Endermen tend not to teleport if not provoked, but it could become a problem from time to time.

However, that doesn't matter, as you are right, its 128 blocks away so they should despawn anyway.  It just seems the farm has low rates.

Yeah, it's an unfortunate side effect from the new endermite method :( The endermen spawn much more quickly, but need to walk the travel time to reach the drop.

Given all that, feel free to change it, but maybe not torch-spam, maybe something a bit pretty?

I was planning on making the area around the portal pretty, with trees, gardens, buildings, etc. I'll probably have to torch spam elsewhere, though :/

#11 zeophlite

zeophlite
  • Pip
  • Co-Admin
  • Log

• 123 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 11:54 PM

End looks great blue!

#12 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 17 October 2015 - 02:33 PM

End's all finished, let me know if I missed something :)

I took some stone, flowers, wood, and leaves from the House of Giving after my supplies ran out, FYI. The mined endstone is free for anyone to use, about 12 stacks in the House as well.

End looks great blue!

Thanks!

Also thanks to whoever lit up some of those harder to reach ledges. I wasn't going to do those, initially, but it definitely helps! :D

#13 zeophlite

zeophlite
  • Pip
  • Co-Admin
  • Log

• 123 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 01:04 AM

That was me, I noticed them from the endermen grinder

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users