• PipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Workwench

• 371 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada
  • Nationality:Maple Syrup

Posted 26 October 2015 - 11:29 AM

Let's talk about it.

I've always loved to colour, and these new  "adult colouring books" (Not adult in the raunchy way, I knew some of you were thinking that!) are becoming all the rage.  Personally, I never needed a colouring book to be labeled for grown ups, colouring is for ages, in my opinion.  I can't draw, and I'm not much of a painter, but damn do I love to colour.

Anyway, I have one of Johanna Bashford's colouring books, which are freakin' brilliant.

All of the images are extremely detailed and they're a few hours work a piece.

Here's a dragonfly I recently finished:

NOZk91xh.jpg

I'm currently using a mix of pencil crayons and fine tip markers, mostly for the really tight spots.

Last night, I downloaded one of the many colouring apps available for the iPad.  I always kind of brushed these off, because really, it's not colouring, you're just picking a colouring and tapping to fill in the section.  Like Microsoft Paint.

But damn, it's still enjoyable.  And I can do it while sitting in bed.  It's also got a bunch of different styles you can choose at the end.  It just looks flat when you're filling it in, but the different styles you can choose at the  end make it interesting.  The skull below has an Acrylic "filter" for lack of a better word, it's like an instagram filter for colouring.

EhZlX27l.png

Anyone else like to colour? 

"There are few things in the world that make me angrier than poverty, the lack of basic human civil rights, and the fact that most women's clothes don't have pockets." --Jenny Lawson, Furiously Happy

#2 Schematix

Schematix
  • PipPip
  • Established
  • Plank

• 241 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA
  • Nationality:American

Posted 27 October 2015 - 04:25 AM

I like to doodle in the back of my notebooks. I like playing Sudoku, and I enjoy origami. I do not color. :|

This is probably all because I get incredibly bored at school and I find it hard to focus on some stuff. Fiddling with doodles or paper folding helps me listen to whatever is going on.

I've never been fond of coloring simply because if I were to color something it would be because of an assignment. I'd normally draw sketches with my pencil and then try and color it in, but that's terrible. If I wanted anything to look nice I would draw sketches in pencil, and then copy those sketches into color, usually with color pencils. 

Edit: Those look cool though. :P

Smile! :)

#3 Sivcere

Sivcere
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Established
  • Coal

• 668 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand
  • Nationality:Kiwi as bro

Posted 27 October 2015 - 01:08 PM

I read, I read, I read. I also read when I was meant to colour. I don't enjoy art all too much.

Colouring is the part of art I hated most, constantly sharping pencils, the feeling of using a pencil still drives me insane, dislike in my own artwork, art.

Colouring is not for me and never will be.

However those all do look pretty, just would never make them.

I'm a cat now, how odd.

#4 LadyEh

LadyEh
  • PipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Workwench

• 371 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 05:11 PM

I once asked Rosleen if she liked to colour.

She told me she didn't have the patience for it and she preferred drawing.

Fast forward to Xmas of 2015, just passed.  Rosleen gifted me a colouring book and some very nice coloured pencils, among a variety of other lovely gifts.

One evening I asked her if she'd colour with me, maybe colour the title page of the colouring book she had given me.

She made a few noises of protest, but eventually agreed.

We coloured. She admitted to enjoying it, but she didn't finish the picture.

A few days later, she says to me, "I need to colour. I have to finish that picture."

ANFg6gXl.png

This was the result.  A beautifully coloured title page.

Fast forward to 2016, I'm back in Canada.

Nadia says to me, "I think I want to colour more. I think I might buy a colouring book."

I said, "At least but the ocean one so we'll have a copy of each, then."

nQVZGgMl.jpg

I might have created a monster...

"There are few things in the world that make me angrier than poverty, the lack of basic human civil rights, and the fact that most women's clothes don't have pockets." --Jenny Lawson, Furiously Happy

#5 Captain_Marko

Captain_Marko
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,091 posts
  • LocationUK & much further East
  • Nationality:British

Posted 05 January 2016 - 02:12 AM

But at least it's not all round! They look lovely  8)   Hugs to both for your patience..  I'd start and then hide it away after half an hour.

I Never Ever Nether ™

Read the 60Gig FAQ!

#6 Oribloke

Oribloke
  • PipPip
  • Veteran
  • Plank

• 238 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 05 January 2016 - 02:56 AM

I do colour too.

Last time it was at beer party :-)

colouring_beer_party.jpg

#7 Sivcere

Sivcere
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Established
  • Coal

• 668 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand
  • Nationality:Kiwi as bro

Posted 09 January 2016 - 01:40 AM

Well I found something arty I like!

oVnfBZP.pngZrFe2PT.pngu2L414A.png

wJVXQ7d.png

8tc9cBg.png

Really easy to make using http://weavesilk.com/

I'm a cat now, how odd.

#8 LadyEh

LadyEh
  • PipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Workwench

• 371 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 06:49 PM

Whooooooooa! Now that is cool! :o

#9 Schematix

Schematix
  • PipPip
  • Established
  • Plank

• 241 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 17 January 2016 - 12:22 AM

https://29a.ch/sandb...11/neonflames/#

Edit: I like trees!ZUsrbE9.jpg

Smile! :)

#10 LadyEh

LadyEh
  • PipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Workwench

• 371 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 04:39 PM

Wow that is gorgeous!

#11 61tasc130fe

61tasc130fe
  • Pip
  • Established
  • Log

• 108 posts
  • LocationGlen Rock, PA (USA)

Posted 01 February 2016 - 04:28 PM

Yep these coloring books seem to be very popular. My wife colors while watching television. After seeing Nadia's storage rooms I could see where this would be very appealing to her. Glad you had a chance to spend time together.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users