GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey
  • Nationality:USA

Posted 10 December 2015 - 08:38 PM

Dropped into the SW Portal for the first time and promptly suffocated.  Came back naked, found most of my stuff. minus some really bling diamond legging and boots, sigh.

This portal had a solid wall of stone on the back side.  Is that a good idea for a portal?  Has everyone who used it so far just been lucky.  I went through from Central the right way.

I mined out the back wall a few blocks so hopefully it won't happen again.

#2 EP43

EP43
  • Tree Puncher

• 27 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 11 December 2015 - 08:17 AM

Most, if not all the portals at the hub are the same (solid wall on one side). I did have that happen to me once at the hub, coming from the West portal. But that was the only instance.

#3 B01E

B01E
  • Pip
  • Established
  • Log

• 122 posts
  • LocationBorup, Sj√¶lland, Denmark, Earth, Milkyway
  • Nationality:Danish

Posted 11 December 2015 - 11:04 AM

I had the problem of spawning below the portal floor coming into a portal once, and almost suffocated (had the pick in hand luckily). Don't remember which one, but when I mentioned it on the forum back then, it was supposedly a known bug in the portal plugin we use.

Be who you are, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.

#4 GreenishTroll

GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 11 December 2015 - 05:46 PM

OK, I was picking away but that didn't seem to help.  So maybe the backwall was not the issue, still it can't hurt to have air on both sides.  Makes going through a portal a little more of an exciting experience.

#5 Likliksnek

Likliksnek
  • PipPip
  • Established
  • Plank

• 252 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany
  • Nationality:German

Posted 12 December 2015 - 05:54 AM

I had that just last week at the eastern portal but luckily dug fast enough. That were the blocks underneath it too. Maybe we could make space there as well where possible?

#6 GreenishTroll

GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 12 December 2015 - 07:23 AM

Are we using a different portal plug than in previous versions of SG?  I don't recall this being a problem in the past, and it is the first time it has happened to me in my years on SG.  Given that where you respawn is potentially a long way from where you might die in a portal you could lose everything.  Maybe the thing to do is keep your spawn point always near a portal?  

If digging out always works I am not sure why I was not able to, mental and physical handicaps perhaps.  

#7 srm86

srm86
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Admin
  • SixtyGig Admin

• 1,557 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 12 December 2015 - 12:01 PM

I don't know why we would have a solid wall at any point around a portal. It's best to have air on all sides, to prevent this from happening again.

#8 Likliksnek

Likliksnek
  • PipPip
  • Established
  • Plank

• 252 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany
  • Nationality:German

Posted 13 December 2015 - 12:34 AM

GT maybe you tried to dig out the obsidian of the portal above. Not seeing anything doesn't really help in those situations. I'm gonna try to make a little space under the east portal to see if that influences the transition in any way.

#9 ArrowToTheKnee82

ArrowToTheKnee82
  • PipPipPip
  • Established
  • Workbench

• 336 posts
  • LocationStaffordshire
  • Nationality:British

Posted 13 December 2015 - 01:58 AM

It's happened to me before with the S portal... luckily, I always managed to dig my way out.

#10 GreenishTroll

GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 22 December 2015 - 06:59 PM

GT maybe you tried to dig out the obsidian of the portal above. Not seeing anything doesn't really help in those situations. I'm gonna try to make a little space under the east portal to see if that influences the transition in any way.

Yeah - I was thinking that might be what happend.  Moral of the story.  stay come, if results don't come quickly turn 90 degrees and dig some more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users