GarrikP
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,042 posts
  • LocationEast Texas
  • Nationality:US

Posted 12 July 2011 - 03:53 AM

I can't say that the seeds I got were vastly different, so perhaps it was simply an issue of traveling to your descriptions.
I'll check more again tonight.

<Profound statement>

#22 RayvenNightsong

RayvenNightsong
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 273 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 12:56 PM

Do not use quotation marks in mine, just the names.

PumpkinPatch
PirateParty

I deleted the maps and did them again and the maps are the same, so I don't understand why your maps came out differently. Did anyone go to the coords I posted?

Maybe the seed system is flaky. It wouldn't surprise me if each collection of numbers/letters can spawn different maps and randomly chooses one of a set of possibilities. Maybe we should do them over and over and see if any come out differently.

I wonder if there is way to decode the seed code and figure out what makes flatness. For instance, if we found out z triggers flat, we could do zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz and see what happens. I'm sure it's not that simple but if we could find a pattern in the words we use to get sort of flat maps, maybe we can get a real flat one. (Like if all the words that spawned flattish maps all had the same series of letters). I have the feeling there may not actually be a code and the game randomly picks out a few of the letters/numbers. That may explain why our maps are sometimes different.

Maybe we should simplify things and go through the alphabet one letter at a time. Then do it with numbers.

#23 Nekcalb

Nekcalb
  • Inactive
  • Retired Evildoer

• 1,138 posts
  • LocationCorn Field
  • Nationality:'merican

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:17 PM

I think basically every seed has the same type of environments and land, it mainly comes down to where you spawn. Being it is Garriks project i believe it his decision which seed to use, i know you told ray to pick one but i personally don't think it is his responsibility.

If you want my opinion i say lets put the portal in the spider dungeon with a 6 lever lock to escape. We can call that the funhouse.
Refusing to allow people to be paid less than a living wage preserves to us our own market. There is absolutely no use in producing anything if you gradually reduce the number of people able to buy even the cheapest products. The only way to preserve our markets is to pay an adequate wage. -- Eleanor Roosevelt

#24 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • Nationality:American

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:21 PM

Do not use quotation marks in mine, just the names.

PumpkinPatch
PirateParty

I deleted the maps and did them again and the maps are the same, so I don't understand why your maps came out differently. Did anyone go to the coords I posted?

Maybe the seed system is flaky. It wouldn't surprise me if each collection of numbers/letters can spawn different maps and randomly chooses one of a set of possibilities. Maybe we should do them over and over and see if any come out differently.

I wonder if there is way to decode the seed code and figure out what makes flatness. For instance, if we found out z triggers flat, we could do zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz and see what happens. I'm sure it's not that simple but if we could find a pattern in the words we use to get sort of flat maps, maybe we can get a real flat one. (Like if all the words that spawned flattish maps all had the same series of letters). I have the feeling there may not actually be a code and the game randomly picks out a few of the letters/numbers. That may explain why our maps are sometimes different.

Maybe we should simplify things and go through the alphabet one letter at a time. Then do it with numbers.

Well, I dont think anyone knows the breakdown of seeds. But you guys can use this site to see what your seed turned into after picking some random name.

http://mc.42nex.us/

I just did it on one of my named seeds "bob", and it output;
Seed: 97717

So if someone puts n 97717 they should get the same seed as "bob". Using the actual seed number may be easier to sharing purposes.. :)

sig.png

#25 RayvenNightsong

RayvenNightsong
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 273 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:43 PM

I think basically every seed has the same type of environments and land, it mainly comes down to where you spawn. Being it is Garriks project i believe it his decision which seed to use, i know you told ray to pick one but i personally don't think it is his responsibility.

If you want my opinion i say lets put the portal in the spider dungeon with a 6 lever lock to escape. We can call that the funhouse.

\\

We spawn in different places in the seed? That would explain why we are seeing different things then. Does that also mean that the coords are totally different? If spawn is set to 0,0 and spawn is random, then the coords are different on each map. That would royally suck. Maybe there are a few possible spawn points that the game chooses from. If that's the case we could could keep generating the map until we get the one that matches the suggested one.

My PirateParty map is totally awesome for a Pirate or ocean town. It has giant hidden coves and massive caves/hollowed out mountains sitting on water, and large tunnels going through mountains at water level. If we can get the same map to generate I really think we should use it for something.

I went to that site Ray linked. This is what it gave me.

Seed: -979096595
Spawn: -113, 64, 149
Player: -225.64, 67.62, 341.0

#26 axmandan

axmandan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Wooden Axe

• 522 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 01:25 AM

i heard somewere that the name determines spawn i dismissed it as stupid rumours but just to cover all bases all my seeds assume you dont change the name and leave it newworld
"Ax is quiet like a fox but he will ATTACK if needed." -Stacy

#27 Nekcalb

Nekcalb
  • Inactive
  • Retired Evildoer

• 1,138 posts
  • LocationCorn Field
  • Nationality:'merican

Posted 13 July 2011 - 02:20 AM

We spawn in different places in the seed?

That's not what i meant, i was referring to every map has a flat plain, or a mountainous snowy area, or an area with rolling sand dunes. A seed has identical features including the spawn to every player. Most likely i typed a typo so i didn't get the same map as you.
Refusing to allow people to be paid less than a living wage preserves to us our own market. There is absolutely no use in producing anything if you gradually reduce the number of people able to buy even the cheapest products. The only way to preserve our markets is to pay an adequate wage. -- Eleanor Roosevelt

#28 RayvenNightsong

RayvenNightsong
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 273 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 02:47 AM

That's not what i meant, i was referring to every map has a flat plain, or a mountainous snowy area, or an area with rolling sand dunes. A seed has identical features including the spawn to every player. Most likely i typed a typo so i didn't get the same map as you.

but look at my spawn, it is not 0,0 according to that website.

Spawn: -113, 64, 149

#29 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 13 July 2011 - 03:11 AM

You guys are spending way too much time trying to figure this seed thing out. ;)

It's simple, you put in the same name/number/whatever. You get the same map, and the same spawn. Every time.

If anyone isn't getting the same map, someone either typed it into the game and/or the site wrong.

sig.png

#30 GarrikP

GarrikP
  • Veteran
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,042 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:50 AM

Score 1 to 5
alchemy 4 Premade caves and such for roller coasters and rides, but will need to level a bit for flat land
axmandan 1 Too rough
thehive 4 The hills add character but will need to fill/flat a little
bagpipe 3 I like the idea of bridging all the islands (60 perhaps?) but it would be a lot of extra work.
Leave blank for a random seed 4 A little of everything from what I saw, some surface caves and underground pond but plenty of low hills & flatland
PumpkinPatch 3 I like the terrain, but with all the surface caves I worry about any excavating, if it'll require too much fill to support the idea.
PirateParty 3.5 Same as Bagpipe, but seemed a little more 'ready-to-build'

Let's go with 'thehive'. If we can get that created and for helpers to explore it and begin gathering some materials (pref from Wildlands or natural caves for now) and I'll try and get home earlier tonight to help begin this project.

Thanks for all the patience & help so far. It's been a challenge for me trying to start this while on vacation, spending all day every day on day trips. I chose the wrong week to nudge Ray :P

<Profound statement>

#31 RayvenNightsong

RayvenNightsong
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 273 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:36 AM

Just try to enjoy your vacation. We can spend time gathering supplies and stuff for now. There's no hurry for us to do these projects anyway. It is something to do to keep the game fun and interesting so if it takes a long time to get a project done, it's no big deal.

#32 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 13 July 2011 - 02:20 PM

Score 1 to 5
alchemy 4 Premade caves and such for roller coasters and rides, but will need to level a bit for flat land
axmandan 1 Too rough
thehive 4 The hills add character but will need to fill/flat a little
bagpipe 3 I like the idea of bridging all the islands (60 perhaps?) but it would be a lot of extra work.
Leave blank for a random seed 4 A little of everything from what I saw, some surface caves and underground pond but plenty of low hills & flatland
PumpkinPatch 3 I like the terrain, but with all the surface caves I worry about any excavating, if it'll require too much fill to support the idea.
PirateParty 3.5 Same as Bagpipe, but seemed a little more 'ready-to-build'

Let's go with 'thehive'. If we can get that created and for helpers to explore it and begin gathering some materials (pref from Wildlands or natural caves for now) and I'll try and get home earlier tonight to help begin this project.

Thanks for all the patience & help so far. It's been a challenge for me trying to start this while on vacation, spending all day every day on day trips. I chose the wrong week to nudge Ray :P

Alright, I'll go ahead and get "thehive" running when I come back from work. If anyone on the team list wants a portal from their zone to the new map, please let me know. Please build a fake dirt-portal where you want it and give me the coordinates.

Once I find a good place for the portal in the community zone I'll tell you all where it is. ;)

sig.png

#33 GarrikP

GarrikP
  • Veteran
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,042 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 13 July 2011 - 02:51 PM

Yeah that's just it Rayven. I've been making sure to check in when I get home from our day trips, but then it's bed and early mornings. Today was rainy so it's a "near home" day (It's a stay-cation for me, but we're doing all the tourist traps across new england)

<Profound statement>

#34 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 13 July 2011 - 03:06 PM

Yeah that's just it Rayven. I've been making sure to check in when I get home from our day trips, but then it's bed and early mornings. Today was rainy so it's a "near home" day (It's a stay-cation for me, but we're doing all the tourist traps across new england)

Whenever you have time i'll need coords for the portal and spawn you want.. You won't have to wait for me to load the map in game, you can find the location in SSP and if you get it back to me before I get home I can load up the map and set up the spawn/portal.

If not, i'll just find a good place for it and we can move it later. ;)

sig.png

#35 GarrikP

GarrikP
  • Veteran
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,042 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 13 July 2011 - 03:36 PM

"If not, i'll just find a good place for it and we can move it later. ;) "
^
|
K.I.S.

<Profound statement>

#36 roachdabug

roachdabug
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Retired Veteran

• 280 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:16 PM

It was always my understanding that using the same seed would result in the same map, but the spawn point is random. Perhaps head to 0,0 first and report what you see there?
Posted Image

#37 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:37 PM

It was always my understanding that using the same seed would result in the same map, but the spawn point is random. Perhaps head to 0,0 first and report what you see there?

They are somewhat random, but at the same time they're not. It seems certain maps have a few possable spawn locations and it picks one of those at random. Running thehive I noticed that there are 3 different spawn points all in the same general area roughly within 100 square blocks. But, when running the one nekcalb gave us in the spider dungeon, you always spawn in the dungeon every time. The one I provided also seems to have only one possable spawn location.

So, I was mistaken saying its the same spawn every time.. To be more accurate, it's the same SET of spawns every time.

I'm thinking to lessen he confusion about the whole seed/spawn issue for here on out all community projects will have to require a seed, and the coordinates to an ideal spawn location so we can avoid this problem in the future.

But, with this project I'll just set a spawn/portal location generally around all 3 spawn locations and we can move it later if needed.

sig.png

#38 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:11 AM

Community Zone is live!

The portal is straight out the portal hub near Nekcalb's sword/community plot.

If anyone would like their own portal, let me know.

sig.png

#39 GarrikP

GarrikP
  • Veteran
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,042 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 14 July 2011 - 05:31 AM

Alright folks. The portal & entry are up, and there's a workbench and chest at the portal for project use.

The entry there is for a fountain and/or statue and heads straight out away from the portal, that's for 'main street', so everyone can take today to start cleaning up that hillside, cutting trees, maybe even getting that main street setup (shops, booths, etc...).

I should be back sometime tonight, but busy again tomorrow. Saturday I'll finally be *home*.

<Profound statement>

#40 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 15 July 2011 - 12:28 AM

Enjoy!

http://sixtygig.com/junk/60govermc.png