Photo

Many server changes. Input from everyone NEEDED.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • Nationality:American

Posted 27 August 2011 - 05:36 AM

After a lot of consideration, I'm thinking about making a few somewhat drastic changes to the server and I would like everyone's input. Instead of going into massive detail about each one, I'll just set it up as bullet statements, and you can discuss whatever issues (or suggestions) you may have.

1. Player Cap
Current:
The Player cap is "Staff+30" (so 31, basically).

Proposed:
I'm considering changing it to "Staff+Vets+40". That will raise the overall max to somewhere around 45 give or take depending on how many vets we have.

2. Limbo recruitment rules.
Current:
Limbo is currently this is in beta phase. But the intention was to bring in people to Limbo right after monthly map maintenance, and staggered throughout the month. Then, the following month bring them over to the zone map. The purpose was to give potential members something to do while they waited for space to open up.

Proposed:
Make Limbo a required step to get into the server, regardless if space is open. But have 2 "Limbo Life Cycles" at the first and third Friday of the month. So, all new players must spend 2 weeks in Limbo before becoming full fledged members.

3. Allowing *all* zoned members portal access.
Current:
You must be Established/Purple to use the portals.

Proposed:
Everyone who owns a zone can use the portals since the 2 week Limbo phase will help weed out the people we don't trust anyway. Most people who make it to the zones *should* be trustable people.

4. Reduce the amount of time you have to "check-in"
Current:
Your first month on the server is a "Freebie" month, so you don't even need to check in. The second, if you don't check in by the end of that month you are dewhitelisted. If you don't check in by the end of the third month your zone is deleted and you're no longer a member. Usually this process is 2 and a half to 3 months from joining to being totally removed.

Proposed:
Your first "Newbie" month is still a freebie. But, you must check in within the first 2 weeks of the second month or you will be dewhitelisted. If you don't check in by the end of the second month, you're removed. Reason being, is I figure anyone who doesnt even notice they're not whitelisted for 2 weeks probably doesnt care much to be on the server. Not to mention to even be dewhitelisted, they would had to of have ignored checking in the first 2 weeks anyway. This new process should only be 1 and a half to 2 months.

Any other suggestions would be great. But the primary goal of this shift is to bring in more players to our server overall, streamline limbo and streamline the process of removing old members.

sig.png

#2 GarrikP

GarrikP
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,042 posts
  • LocationEast Texas
  • Nationality:US

Posted 27 August 2011 - 07:38 AM

Player Cap:
I'm not opposed, but would like to know why the consideration.

Limbo recruitment:
I'd still prefer a full month for the Limbonians, but that full month rotation could be bi weekly (month to month or mid-month to mid-month)

Portals:
I'm okay with all-member-access if the new members are Limbonians for a month, I just don't feel 2 weeks is enough time to build a level of trust for free roaming.

Check-In
While we are getting a decent number of applicants, I'm not seeing the floods that I feel would warrant us (you) to rush to blacklist to free up the space, and not have the people to fill that space.

<Profound statement>

#3 renic_ixillon

renic_ixillon
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Wooden Axe

• 565 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 08:52 AM

I have to say I am pretty much in agreement with what Garrick said. . . I knoW! I can hardly believe it myself! LOL

So just mutliply his answer by 2 I guess heheee!

I have been very pleased with the current members we have had in game ( Well except Ray but what can we do...right? LOL)

Here is hoping for continued success in recruiting quality people!

#4 latyper

latyper
  • PipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Workbench

• 309 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 09:20 AM

Firstly, this server is full of win for even having a administration that wants input from the players. I LOVE YOU RAY!

1. Player Cap
Current:

Proposed:
I'm considering changing it to "Staff+Vets+40". That will raise the overall max to somewhere around 45 give or take depending on how many vets we have.

I don't know enough about the repercussions of changing the player cap to give any meaningful input.

Current:
Limbo is currently this is in beta phase. But the intention was to bring in people to Limbo right after monthly map maintenance, and staggered throughout the month. Then, the following month bring them over to the zone map. The purpose was to give potential members something to do while they waited for space to open up.

Proposed:
Make Limbo a required step to get into the server, regardless if space is open. But have 2 "Limbo Life Cycles" at the first and third Friday of the month. So, all new players must spend 2 weeks in Limbo before becoming full fledged members.

Reducing time in limbo is a great idea. 2 weeks should be enough to weed out your typical griefer. I believe that the typical griefer is somewhere between the ages of 9 and 15 and frankly does not have the attention span to wait around in limbo for two weeks before being allowed on to the server. They are much more likely to just move on to another server than to put up with the hassle.

Current:

Proposed:
Everyone who owns a zone can use the portals since the 2 week Limbo phase will help weed out the people we don't trust anyway. Most people who make it to the zones *should* be trustable people.

I don't know enough about how the portals work or how they can be used to facilitate a griefer to giving any meaningful input.

Current:
Your first month on the server is a "Freebie" month, so you don't even need to check in. The second, if you don't check in by the end of that month you are dewhitelisted. If you don't check in by the end of the third month your zone is deleted and you're no longer a member. Usually this process is 2 and a half to 3 months from joining to being totally removed.

Proposed:
Your first "Newbie" month is still a freebie. But, you must check in within the first 2 weeks of the second month or you will be dewhitelisted. If you don't check in by the end of the second month, you're removed. Reason being, is I figure anyone who doesnt even notice they're not whitelisted for 2 weeks probably doesnt care much to be on the server. Not to mention to even be dewhitelisted, they would had to of have ignored checking in the first 2 weeks anyway. This new process should only be 1 and a half to 2 months.

I would shorten that even more. Perhaps: New players must check in within the first 2 weeks. If they don't they are blacklisted for 10 days before being removed and their zones reset.

Any other suggestions would be great. But the primary goal of this shift is to bring in more players to our server overall, streamline limbo and streamline the process of removing old members.

More cowbell.
When you cut me, I bleed out redstone in the shape of an NS-NOR latch.

#5 axmandan

axmandan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Wooden Axe

• 522 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 09:51 AM

1. player cap
I vote to be neutral

2. Limbo
a long limbo is good just a few weeks wont weed out all the bad ones.

3. portal
try it but i would be careful and keep an eye on newer players.

4. check in
Yes reduce it by more even! take me for example I can’t play much in summer cause I’m busy. sometimes I don’t play for a week maybe more, but I can still find the time to pop into SG and press that new content button. If you do this however keep a list of who has said they will be gone for a few, vacations and all that.

More cowbell.

Agreed.
"Ax is quiet like a fox but he will ATTACK if needed." -Stacy

#6 FreddyNO

FreddyNO
  • Pip
  • Inactive
  • Log

• 126 posts
  • LocationDisney World
  • Nationality:Norwegian

Posted 27 August 2011 - 10:32 AM

1. Player Cap
Current:

Proposed:

I like that idea, the more the better. As long as Limbo is there to verify that only people with the right intentions get in of course..

Current:

Proposed:

Hm idk about 2 weeks, sounds kind of short to be honest. Garrik summed it up pretty good.

Current:

Proposed:

Like it, especially since it means I would get access sooner. Lol :P

Current:

Proposed:

yea I'm for this one as well, it's more than enough time, really. Hey, I'm on vacation, and I still have easy access to internet.
*a reminder to make a signature*

#7 Sycokinetic

Sycokinetic
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 59 posts
  • LocationMississippi
  • Nationality:United States

Posted 27 August 2011 - 12:53 PM

1. I personally prefer to keep the server smaller, actually. In fact, I was originally looking for a server with a 20 player limit. When I saw this one, I figured sufficing for a 30 player limit was a bargain considering the structure of SG. I can live with a 45 player limit, but I personally prefer a smaller server.

2. This actually sounds like a good idea, but I would prefer it to just be a minimum of two weeks in limbo instead of a month. Our zones are one of the main features that distinguish SG from other servers, and I feel that we shouldn't hold that back from new members for long if at all.

3. I would leave the portal system the way it is. The Limbo setup will help weed out a few members, but the portal system is still a very sensitive privilege. It gives a member instant access to all other zones, which makes griefing a simple matter of walking through a portal. Whether we go with a 2 or 4 week limbo, players will still know exactly when they will get a zone (and, with this idea, portal access). The side effect of this is similar to that of a pop-quiz. If you know when you'll get a zone, you'll be much more patient as you wait. If a griefer knows exactly when he'll get portal access, then he won't leave from boredom. My understanding of our current setup is to wait for a player to have a sufficient investment of time and work in his zone before giving him portal access. The definition of sufficient is on a case-by-case basis and up to the discretion of the staff and veterans. The result is that a member does not know exactly when he will be able to use the portals. If someone is waiting to use the portals to grief but has to put in an uncertain amount work to get access to those portals, then he's more likely to either get bored and leave or do something small and get banned before they can ruin everything. By keeping our current portal setup and adding the limbo system, we'll give members another (and, in my opinion, formidable) layer of protection.

4. I don't see any reason why not to do this. An active and dedicated member should be aware of the check-in thread and should place priority on checking in on time. Shortening the time limit theoretically will also provide more opportunity for new members to get in.

*Note: When I say "griefer," I'm referring more to the serious ones that may try to destroy the entire map, not the petty thieves that may steal a few gold ingots or dismantle a wall. It is indeed annoying to repair the damage of an average griefer, but it only takes one determined and skilled griefer to ruin the server.

#8 quickgroth

quickgroth
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 242 posts
  • LocationChandler, Arizona
  • Nationality:'Merican

Posted 27 August 2011 - 12:54 PM

1. Player Cap
That my be too many players. If too many are on at once, then we will start getting lag problems.

I think it should still be one month. It will be enough time for a griefer to loose patience and move on to a new server.

This is a good idea as long as the Limbo players have a full month before coming onto the main map. This will reduce the chances of griefing.

Great idea.

More cowbell.

I agree with that, too.

#9 Eryng

Eryng
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Retired Applications Manager

• 629 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 02:53 PM

Player Cap:
I'm not opposed, but would like to know why the consideration.

My guess is that since we have 60 zones avaliable and and a cap of 30 most of our zones are always empty. That being said, back when the zone buying system came into place we peobably expected more people to buy zones so I'm not opposed to raising the player cap a little.

1. Maybe Staff + Vets + 30 (or 40).

2. Dunno how I feel about this, will have to think about it more and get back to you later.

3. I like things the way they are now.

4. Reduce the time from 3 months to two months (so I guess this means I agree with your idea). Their are people who get into the server and play for a few days and then never show up again. Limbo eliminates a lot of these problems so less check in time makes sense.

#10 Gokorahn

Gokorahn
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 61 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 27 August 2011 - 02:56 PM

I agree with pretty much what Syco said.
Posted Image

#11 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 27 August 2011 - 04:01 PM

1. Player Cap
Current:

Proposed:

Well, it seems we're all in the middle with this one. How about we try Staff+Vets+40 and if it becomes a problem, we simply hold back on recruiting and let the numbers dwindle back down to Staff+Vets+30? Also, quickgroth mentioned lag. Lag won't be any issue what so ever, we can actually support up to 30-35 players *at once* without lag.. and even with 45 members, I doubt we'll ever have more than 10-15 people on at once.

Current:

Proposed:

Wow, I'm surprised everyone is all for the month thing. My concern was it was too long as he Limbo guys may get bored. But, since nearly everyone wants to keep it a month, I'll stick with the old system since thats pretty much what it is anyway. ;)

Current:

Proposed:

I'll need more input on this one down the line, because it's a pretty big deal since it protects us from "minor" griefers. (Petty theft, etc) Major griefers will figure out a way to screw things up without the portals. But, maybe allowing all-access to the portals combined with the 1 month limbo time will be good enough to weed out idiots? For now, I'll leave it how it is. Most blue guys usually don't need the portals anyway since they're too busy in their own zone. But, depending on how 1.8 goes they might actually need access so they can get to the Wildland and experience the 1.8 content. But, we'll discuss that when 1.8 is released.

Current:

Proposed:

We seem to all agree on this one for the most part, so starting next month I'll start going it the new way.

More cowbell.

DONE! :D

sig.png

#12 roachdabug

roachdabug
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Retired Veteran

• 280 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 04:23 PM

1. Player Cap
As long as the server doesn't lag you could have 1000 people for all I care =)

I think 2 weeks will be fine. If you make the barrier to entry too difficult, you end up scaring off desirable members. Maybe also allow friends of current established members to bypass the limbo?

Sounds fine with mandatory limbo

Sounds fine as well.

Posted Image

#13 Legend4623

Legend4623
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 30 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 01:59 AM

Well I came across this a little late, but here are my thoughts.

1. The thought of a larger community and all actually sounds good to me, only as long as control can be maintained as it is now, and if the server can handle it.

2. I think the full month limbo cycles sound fine. If you join at the beginning of the cycle, you stay the month. You join a week into it, you stay the 2-3 weeks left until it resets. A minimum of two weeks is good but time can't decide it, it should still mostly be your judgement, their build contents (doesn't take a month to build a hut) and communication. I haven't gotten bored yet, and you know, time passes ;)

3. I don't know much about the portals, but couldn't you just travel to any zone? Anyways I'm just bummed about waiting for the nether.

4. Sounds like this one's decided. I agree as well.

I guess Limbo should lessen 3 & 4, but I don't have the mind of a griefer (or do I?)

#14 Nekcalb

Nekcalb
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Retired Evildoer

• 1,138 posts
  • LocationCorn Field
  • Nationality:'merican

Posted 29 August 2011 - 01:51 PM

Well since i have returned from my mini trip i guess i can add my 2 cents.

1. Player Cap
I would like to see this raised a little bit, gives the opportunity to join others on spelunking missions or having more involved in the community projects. Odds are there will never be even 1/2 of the members online at once, besides having a few involved in conversations can make them more interesting with the extra perspectives.

Perhaps twice a month move players from Limbo to Zones would be more appropriate with a two or maybe three week minimum limbo holding time. Holding off a full month just seems like a long time, and i feel it may discourage good players from wanting to stick around waiting for a zone. With the current Limbo recruitment, any new "vouched for players" it seems they still have been regulated to waiting the last week or so to be brought into Limbo itself, which seems to defeat the purpose of Limbo. As far as the griefer's go if someone's full intention is to grief then they will want to do it on the zone map itself thinking that will cause more issues, and behaving for a few weeks in Limbo wouldn't deter them anyway

I still feel the portal access should be a privilege, it won't deter someone from running across the map and griefing as they go, but it would slow them down and perhaps reduce the amount of damage they can do. Most players have waited about a month without portal access, and once they do get it, it likely is much more appreciated.

This is something i am all for, although i believe even the new people should be required to drop by the forums and take 10 seconds to acknowledge they are paying attention.
Refusing to allow people to be paid less than a living wage preserves to us our own market. There is absolutely no use in producing anything if you gradually reduce the number of people able to buy even the cheapest products. The only way to preserve our markets is to pay an adequate wage. -- Eleanor Roosevelt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users