Rayvolution
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • Nationality:American

Posted 03 October 2011 - 08:06 PM

The road crew will be setting up the roads and regions for SixtyCity a few days before we officially move, having said that, what kind of regions (themes) would you like to see?

Keep in mind, we don't want anything too crazy, off the wall or too complicated!

Official Regions List (Will change as this discussion progresses)
- SixtyCity
Skyscrapers, big city stuff.

- Farmland
Farms, small-town things.

- SixtyGig Castle (Better name pending, but the castle will be the main event)
SixtyGig Castle (Built by Rayvolution) and medieval-days buildings around it (Built by anyone).

- SixtyGigs over Minecraft (Name Pending)
Same basic idea as the original Sixty Gigs Over Minecraft in SG 2.0

- Docks/Fishing area (If we have enough water in the city)
Docks, small/large ships, seaside pubs, bars, small fish-related open markets, etc.

Some idea up for discussion (Or add your own!)
Fantasy area
Avatar-like floating islands, magicy stuff, stuff that breaks the laws of physics

Suburb
Near SixtyCity, a small town area with player homes up and down the roads and a few small city parks/jogging tracks/etc.

sig.png

#2 latyper

latyper
  • PipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Workbench

• 309 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:06 PM

Spleef arena and seperate PVP arena.
When you cut me, I bleed out redstone in the shape of an NS-NOR latch.

#3 tim_vanloo

tim_vanloo
  • Inactive
  • Retired Veteran

• 98 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 02:23 AM

I would love to do a central skyscraper area in this style. I think a spleef/pvp arena would be grand too, in the vicinity of the castle. A medieval sector perhaps?

We should not spread out to much or it will take ages before it actually starts to look like a 'city'.

#4 renic_ixillon

renic_ixillon
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Wooden Axe

• 565 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 07:52 AM

I have yet to see a city without some form of industrial complaxes. You could add small areas like blacksmithy for middle ages area or the opposite side of the "suburbs" from the central core city and yet near the shipping docks you could have a lot of machinery and related buildings.....I mean we gotta have somewhere to dump all our waste and pollute from right? LOL

#5 Eryng

Eryng
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Retired Applications Manager

• 629 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 01:11 PM

We should not spread out to much or it will take ages before it actually starts to look like a 'city'.

I agree. If you look at SisxtyGigs over Minecraft we had our stuff spread over several areas requireing several portals. I know we have a huge map to work on, but considering how many people we have as well as our one month time frame we should try and keep things somewhat "compact"

#6 Nekcalb

Nekcalb
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Retired Evildoer

• 1,138 posts
  • LocationCorn Field
  • Nationality:'merican

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:04 PM

Spleef arena and seperate PVP arena.

I would like to see a stadium that resembles a true sports theme such as a baseball diamond or football field with the lines when it is not being used. But possibly set it up so to have spleef tournaments, pvp matches, and monster gladiator events as well. Kind of a multi function venue that stands out as a grand structure when viewed from above, either from a nearby skyscraper or the Sixty Gig map overview.

I was thinking football could even be an actual possibility with a few simple rules. But a baseball stadium would probably be better looking on the overview.

I have yet to see a city without some form of industrial complexes. You could add small areas like blacksmithy for middle ages area or the opposite side of the "suburbs" from the central core city and yet near the shipping docks you could have a lot of machinery and related buildings.....I mean we gotta have somewhere to dump all our waste and pollute from right? LOL

I wouldn't want to use to much land for an industrial area, but perhaps a shipping dock with colored containers, and a power plant either coal with some brick smoke stacks, or nuclear with it's cooling towers. Additionally perhaps an airport if we have the area later on.

A few other suggestions that may be larger than a typical building would be a theme park, government type buildings (i intend on building a courthouse myself) and maybe an amphitheater (kinda like the sydney opera house)

One thing i think we should try to encourage tho is leaving some areas as parks. Parks can have certain attributes of their own, wetland for ducks, swimming pool, playground, tennis court, and some simple fountains and benches.
Refusing to allow people to be paid less than a living wage preserves to us our own market. There is absolutely no use in producing anything if you gradually reduce the number of people able to buy even the cheapest products. The only way to preserve our markets is to pay an adequate wage. -- Eleanor Roosevelt

#7 BrelanAllin

BrelanAllin
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 86 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 07:54 PM

I would love to be able to build my general store in the city.

Been working on some cool design.

#8 nottir

nottir
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 84 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 08:10 PM

I would like to see an area with lots and lots of vegetation. I've really enjoyed playing with it on the 1.8 map. Maybe we could create an alchemist's hut, a witch's hovel, or some kind of small fantasy (elven?) village. Or really anything that would be appropriate for as many mushrooms, trees, vines, melons, pumpkins, flowers, sugar cane, etc., that we could fit. Might go well as part of the medieval village, maybe on an outside border?

#9 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:51 PM

The industry area might be a cool idea, maybe near the city area. Also love the city pics, but to be totally honest, I don't know if we can pull it off. We have some great builders, but projects of that quality will probably require a small, dedicated team of builders and seriously limited access to the area by the rest of the server... and that's no fun for everyone else.

Not that we couldn't give it a shot, I'm just trying to be realistic. With so many builders, I don't think we can make it look that clean/slick/perfect.

sig.png

#10 BrelanAllin

BrelanAllin
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 86 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 06:03 AM

The industry area might be a cool idea, maybe near the city area. Also love the city pics, but to be totally honest, I don't know if we can pull it off. We have some great builders, but projects of that quality will probably require a small, dedicated team of builders and seriously limited access to the area by the rest of the server... and that's no fun for everyone else.

Not that we couldn't give it a shot, I'm just trying to be realistic. With so many builders, I don't think we can make it look that clean/slick/perfect.

I agree.

It would require a building code (materials, designs, etc) and way too much man hours.

If it wasn't too much work it would be nice if buildings were pre-approved. Like made in creative mode, passed to a review board before being actually built. Might help with city planning.

Keep in mind not only I'm the new guy I'm also still a Minecraft noob so take what I say with a grain of salt lol

#11 Magzter85

Magzter85
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 64 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 08:21 AM

I had an idea of a park area, a bit of landscape gardening in the centre of a very urban area might look nice.

If I were to commit to something impressive for SixtyCity I think I'd like to do either a modern looking apartment building (where we all get an apartment each) or a cultural building like a museum.

#12 Shalterra

Shalterra
  • Pip
  • Inactive
  • Log

• 110 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 10:22 AM

I've always wanted to build a sort-of Magi-punk themed city. Like, nice, clean building, with a lot of white and brick. Maybe some lines of lapis throughout to simulate "Magi-power".

Just an idea.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 torcido

torcido
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Torch

• 762 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 05 October 2011 - 05:35 PM

Remember that we'll all have huge zone to build our fantasies in, just in case something doesn't fit the overall plan of SixtyCity.

Yours truly,
Tor-"cobblestone box"-Cido
Posted Image

#14 Eryng

Eryng
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive

• 629 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:40 PM

Bump!

Please add to this thread if you have ideas. The big move is happening soon.

#15 Magzter85

Magzter85
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 64 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:50 PM

Will the suburb area be designated early on? Would be nice to set up a good local home while working on sixtycity.

#16 Eryng

Eryng
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive

• 629 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 12:44 AM

Will the suburb area be designated early on? Would be nice to set up a good local home while working on sixtycity.

I would say, just build a house inside the city itself.

#17 Magzter85

Magzter85
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 64 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 02:49 AM

Okay, I'll need a planner to give an apporopriate size and location, I also have hundreds of brick blocks I no longer need if anyone wants to build some brick themed houses with me.

#18 Fizzlezapp

Fizzlezapp
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 80 posts
  • LocationWestern Mass

Posted 19 November 2011 - 05:09 AM

Im kinda partial to a Nordic theme myself.

#19 torcido

torcido
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Torch

• 762 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 27 November 2011 - 04:30 PM

Since all the 'road' topics are locked, might as well try here.

With the different 'Regions' intended, would it be advantageous to create 'rights-of-way' along some roads to allow for future expansion of smaller paths/trails to these regions?

The idea is that the early builds will cover major thoroughfares/boulevards that are 5-wide, with some 3-wide streets/avenues in the City proper, and the occasional alleyway/gravel path. Some regions may end up with more travel, warranting an upgrade of the path/road to a full blvd in the future.

Should there be a restriction on building immediately adjacent to streets (+1) or paths (+2) (or possibly twice that on at least one side, and maybe every other alley?) within the city to keep enough space open for future expansion?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users