• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Magzter85

Magzter85
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 64 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:40 AM

Hey all, been working on my museum idea, it turned out fairly large so I thought I'd better run it through here so the building moderators and road crew can hopefully integrate it into their planning if they need to.

Its 125 blocks wide and 75 blocks deep. The height is 35 blocks but I'm not sure if that matters.

Some shots of it:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

EDIT: Seem to be some restrictions on posting images here are direct links instead.

http://imageshack.us...11116071247.png

http://imageshack.us...11116071743.png

http://imageshack.us...11116073551.png

#2 Nekcalb

Nekcalb
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Retired Evildoer

• 1,138 posts
  • LocationCorn Field
  • Nationality:'merican

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:59 AM

Looks quite nice, got any dinosaur skeletons inside?

Using imageshack you have to do it a certain way to get it to work, if the url starts off looking like "http://imageshack.us...116071247.png/" then it wont work, but if the url looks like "http://img24.imagesh...1116071247.png" then it will, basically you have to right click then "view image" to get the correct url for it to work.

Posted Image
Refusing to allow people to be paid less than a living wage preserves to us our own market. There is absolutely no use in producing anything if you gradually reduce the number of people able to buy even the cheapest products. The only way to preserve our markets is to pay an adequate wage. -- Eleanor Roosevelt

#3 roachdabug

roachdabug
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Retired Veteran

• 280 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:20 AM

While I personally believe such massive buildings would generally be better off in your own zones, if you absolutely MUST build something taking up an excessive amount of ground area in Sixty City, make sure there are plenty of pathways through your structure so that players are easily able to pass through it, rather than be forced to go around it. Long, massive walls should be a no-no in the city.
Posted Image

#4 Magzter85

Magzter85
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 64 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:00 AM

This was supposed to be a big project to make SixtyCity more awesome and will take a month or so to complete. If it's only seen as a burden by people then I won't do it, simple as. Althought SixtyCity is 1000 x 1000 so thats a million square blocks to play with, this building didnt seem so big after looking at it that way.

#5 Eryng

Eryng
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Retired Applications Manager

• 629 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:10 AM

I think think this looks great. I also agree with Roach about the pathways, nothing is more annoying then having to walk around a giant structure. I would like to see this in SixtyCity, but i'll let Ray have the final say.

#6 Nekcalb

Nekcalb
  • Inactive
  • Retired Evildoer

• 1,138 posts
  • LocationCorn Field
  • Nationality:'merican

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:26 AM

I believe the roads rails and canals need to be established first, any buildings that come afterwards should either be set between the infrastructure and/or designed to overlap them.

I don't see anything wrong with building a large structure here or there throughout the city, the larger structures are the foundation of cities, the rest of the buildings such as houses offices ect are there to fill in the gaps.
Refusing to allow people to be paid less than a living wage preserves to us our own market. There is absolutely no use in producing anything if you gradually reduce the number of people able to buy even the cheapest products. The only way to preserve our markets is to pay an adequate wage. -- Eleanor Roosevelt

#7 Magzter85

Magzter85
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 64 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:32 AM

I can make the main entrance run straight through the other side as like the actual museum with paths helping people through it.

If you look carefully at this picture you can see the glass pyramid on the other side of the building, I can make it like this no problem.

Posted Image

EDIT: Thanks Nek fo the help! Didn't realise I wasnt linking the image directly.

Also as Nek was saying I think this building would work best if the road system was made to incorporate it, not sure where I'll leave it to the road crew. Skydealer also expressed interest in making a big library in close proximity to the museum so maybe that could fit in too somehwere.

#8 roachdabug

roachdabug
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Retired Veteran

• 280 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:04 PM

I think it will be pretty awesome in the city, but I just want to make sure we don't need to take a half-hour detour through dark creeper filled alleyways to get around the thing all the time Posted Image

My other fear is that once people see a massive structure they'll all want to build one. 1 epic Louvre is great, and I know Ray's been talking about a giant castle. But if we end up with 30 of these things you'll be finding the limit of 1000 x 1000 in no time.

At any rate, don't let my tendency to err on the side of caution discourage you. It looks like an exellent project.
Posted Image

#9 GarrikP

GarrikP
  • Veteran
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,042 posts
  • LocationEast Texas
  • Nationality:US

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:43 PM

Perhaps we can set aside a corner of 60C for the Royal Quarters, and include the massive projects within it (the quarter, not necc. Ray's castle).
I think the museum would go well next to the library, perhaps with a university across a nice looking boulevard that leads straight to the castle's main door.

<Profound statement>

#10 FreddyNO

FreddyNO
  • Pip
  • Inactive
  • Log

• 126 posts
  • LocationDisney World
  • Nationality:Norwegian

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:30 PM

I for one love seeing big structures like this, it's what Minecraft is all about. Just put one entrance on each side and it shouldn't be a problem getting past it. What do you plan on placing inside of it, paintings and sculptures like the real one, or maybe something more related to Minecraft? Well anyway I'd love to see this happen :diamond_16px: :diamond_16px: :diamond_16px:
*a reminder to make a signature*

#11 Magzter85

Magzter85
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 64 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:51 PM

Hey Freddy thanks for the encouragement, a combination of things really. A lot will be minecraft related, biome/stronghold/dungeon themed rooms, statues (including a big ender dragon head), demonstrations of fun redstone contraptions, also hopefully there will be some art but i'm no good at stuff like that so others can help fill up the exhibits. Im sure other ideas will come to me.

#12 itsdann

itsdann
  • Pip
  • Inactive
  • Log

• 191 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 27 November 2011 - 10:18 AM

Wow that's an amazing structure! Hopefully Ray allows the construction of it with multiple pathways through it. :D

#13 mctheta

mctheta
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 204 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 06:18 PM

nicely done, Magz!

#14 ananda11

ananda11
  • PipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Workbench

• 373 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA
  • Nationality:Irish-German

Posted 28 November 2011 - 11:13 AM

This is an incredible Welsh-designed structure. It might be nice to anchor one end of a boulevard with a palace like that.
Wherever are you going to find enough paintings for a space that large?

#15 itsdann

itsdann
  • Pip
  • Inactive
  • Log

• 191 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 28 November 2011 - 11:43 AM

This is an incredible Welsh-designed structure. It might be nice to anchor one end of a boulevard with a palace like that.
Wherever are you going to find enough paintings for a space that large?

We'll all take turns painting masterpieces.

#16 Magzter85

Magzter85
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 64 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:56 AM

Hey, I'm ready to start work on this project very soon. Can I ask some vets to put some final thoughts into its exact location and if anyone would like to help with the terraforming required for placement that would be a great help, I'll provide enchanted tools to speed up the process.

#17 latyper

latyper
  • PipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Workbench

• 309 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:31 AM

Hey, I'm ready to start work on this project very soon. Can I ask some vets to put some final thoughts into its exact location and if anyone would like to help with the terraforming required for placement that would be a great help, I'll provide enchanted tools to speed up the process.

I would be happy to help. Just grab next time we are both in game together.
When you cut me, I bleed out redstone in the shape of an NS-NOR latch.

#18 mctheta

mctheta
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 204 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:48 PM

i'm more than willing to help when i can. i can provide some of my own dirt if you like. i'm sure you have none. :P

plus, it would be kinda cool to say there's some Zone 35 and maybe even some old Freebuild dirt under that bad boy.

#19 twilytgardnfaery

twilytgardnfaery
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 92 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:24 AM

<snip!> maybe even some old Freebuild dirt under that bad boy.

Haha, perhaps that should be an exhibit rather than a building material :P
Posted Image

#20 Magzter85

Magzter85
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 64 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:45 AM

This is being shelved for obvious reasons, hopefully it can be revived soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users