ananda11
  • PipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Workbench

• 373 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA
  • Nationality:Irish-German

Posted 25 November 2011 - 04:44 PM

Since I started playing Minecraft, in April, I've never had to scramble to keep my guy fed. Until now.
I've been playing 1.0 this week and found out that beneficial mobs are chunk-based and that once a chunks good mobs are wiped out,
they do not regenerate.
One solution is to breed chickens, sheep, cows, and so on, using the young for their drops and keeping the adults for breeding stock.
This means offering them wheat as a lure and then feeding each of them in hopes that they breed.
So now you have to grow seeds and harvest the wheat for your breeding stock. As such, wheat becomes more important as cattle feed than as charactor feed.
It occured to me that this could provide a partial basis for an economy. It can be almost a full-time job raising wheat and breeding animals, leaving little time for mining, building and hunting.
A few of us might be able to specialize in wheat or wool in exchange for trading of some sort for the minerals the farmers don't have as much time to mine.
The free market would help decide the price and since the purpose isn't competition but cooperation, prices would be pretty resaonable.
I don't know how that would affect the admin-based trade system, but I'd be interested in a discussion about it.
What do we think??

#2 torcido

torcido
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Torch

• 762 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 25 November 2011 - 06:08 PM

I'm not sure that Ray-Mart even sells wheat. If not, what's to stop a plucky entrepreneur, fresh off the boat from Limbo, with a gleam in his eye and a pocket full of courage, from daring to dream the Sixmerican Dream by starting the SixtyCity version of ConGigra or Ralston Purananda? It's your classic 'tree puncher to riches' story!

Even if it is sold, you could certainly compete with the SixtyCity trade system by offering better 'prices' on the open market. Buy and/or sell at rates that a good enough to warrant a trip to your zone instead of heading to the shops in 6TCT (put your 'store' right in front of the portal and it might even be 'closer' for most people, add stores on your borders for neighbors, even franchise out to a site within the city itself) and you're in business.
Posted Image

#3 Nekcalb

Nekcalb
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Retired Evildoer

• 1,138 posts
  • LocationCorn Field
  • Nationality:'merican

Posted 25 November 2011 - 06:32 PM

The trade system is being overhauled for SixtyGig 3.0 and basically any normal item that would drop, and/or a few slightly crafted / grown items will also be available. Sixty City will contain these shops, but that doesn't mean you can't compete and barter / trade for items with other players also. But you would have to adjust your prices to compete with the Server Trade prices which for lack of a better word are a "ripoff".
Refusing to allow people to be paid less than a living wage preserves to us our own market. There is absolutely no use in producing anything if you gradually reduce the number of people able to buy even the cheapest products. The only way to preserve our markets is to pay an adequate wage. -- Eleanor Roosevelt

#4 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • Nationality:American

Posted 25 November 2011 - 06:47 PM

The trade system is being overhauled for SixtyGig 3.0 and basically any normal item that would drop, and/or a few slightly crafted / grown items will also be available. Sixty City will contain these shops, but that doesn't mean you can't compete and barter / trade for items with other players also. But you would have to adjust your prices to compete with the Server Trade prices which for lack of a better word are a "ripoff".

and on that note, here's the whole store listing and everything that they sell, including prices. I just haven't enabled the link in the nav bar yet since the stores won't be turned on until 3.0.

http://www.sixtygig....ixtycity_stores

sig.png

#5 mctheta

mctheta
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 204 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 08:15 PM

I'm not sure that Ray-Mart even sells wheat. If not, what's to stop a plucky entrepreneur, fresh off the boat from Limbo, with a gleam in his eye and a pocket full of courage, from daring to dream the Sixmerican Dream by starting the SixtyCity version of ConGigra or Ralston Purananda? It's your classic 'tree puncher to riches' story!

Bravo, torcido. Bravo.

#6 mctheta

mctheta
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 204 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 08:19 PM

and on that note, here's the whole store listing and everything that they sell, including prices. I just haven't enabled the link in the nav bar yet since the stores won't be turned on until 3.0.

http://www.sixtygig....ixtycity_stores

I noticed that 'White Wool' in the Ore General Store says '54 (1 Stack)' and i assume it should read 64. just letting you know.

#7 Eryng

Eryng
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Retired Applications Manager

• 629 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 08:42 PM

*POINTS FINGERS AT THE RURAL PROJECT* /endshamelessplug

The rural project will be the farming area/community in the community zone. It will not be a mass-production type of farm, it will be for asthetic purposes but it will still be funtional. My goal is to provide enough animals for everyone in case one zone dosen't have any.

Also, the trade prices are bad to encourage trade. That being said, no one wants to be forced to only do one job.

#8 mctheta

mctheta
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 204 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 12:49 AM

crazy idea..hope this makes sense..not even sure if it's possible. Then again, Ray is pretty bada**. (as well as everyone on SG)

not sure how you would track it, but what if you just 'clocked in' and 'clocked out' of the farm when you wanted to do work for barter (or for the heck of it). Base the amount of reimbursement on the amount of time you spend working on the farm.

again, not sure how you work it logistically, but it's an idea anyway.

also, random idea just popped into my head... along these lines, what if we had a bulletin board area in town, where SG residents can post help wanted ads for builds, farming, running rail lines, etc and can offer rewards for accepting/completing the work. Or just general ads like "mctheta will give 5 diamond for 128 lapis" or whatever (i'm not sure if that is a good deal or not, just made it up). obviously, it has to be competitive with Sixty City prices, but that could be done too. it may not be needed/used often, but again, just an idea

#9 infiniteduck

infiniteduck
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Stick

• 429 posts
  • LocationCanada Eh?
  • Nationality:Mutt

Posted 26 November 2011 - 09:05 AM

Personally, I kinda hate the way animals changed. I'm either going to have to use a lot of wheat to get the animals into a 'barn' or use a canal system to collect them up and drop them into my barn. I did this on single player and gathered about a dozen pigs, but no sheep or cows. It did give me enough to start a breeding farm of pigs though.
Posted Image

#10 Eryng

Eryng
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Retired Applications Manager

• 629 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 09:54 AM

crazy idea..hope this makes sense..not even sure if it's possible. Then again, Ray is pretty bada**. (as well as everyone on SG)

not sure how you would track it, but what if you just 'clocked in' and 'clocked out' of the farm when you wanted to do work for barter (or for the heck of it). Base the amount of reimbursement on the amount of time you spend working on the farm.

I don't like this, like you said its logistically difficult to do. Also, i'm not sure who would be doing the compensating.

also, random idea just popped into my head... along these lines, what if we had a bulletin board area in town, where SG residents can post help wanted ads for builds, farming, running rail lines, etc and can offer rewards for accepting/completing the work. Or just general ads like "mctheta will give 5 diamond for 128 lapis" or whatever (i'm not sure if that is a good deal or not, just made it up). obviously, it has to be competitive with Sixty City prices, but that could be done too. it may not be needed/used often, but again, just an idea

I really like this idea.

#11 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • Nationality:American

Posted 26 November 2011 - 10:46 AM

It can be done, but it would be really complicated :/ Honestly from my experience in SG 1.0/2.0 seldom do people bother paying for work anyway. Usually everyone just helps out to help out. The few times work was actually paid for it was mostly "Hey, I'll give ya 30 gold to tear this down. I'm lazy." type work. So if I did put in such a system, I doubt anyone would actually use it.. it's actually easier to just say "golds in the chest over there when you're done" than use a built in system.

Actually, I sort of expected this one to happen naturally eventually. We could easily slap together a bulletin board in town in advance though, with signs/wood/etc so people can make requests. ;)

sig.png

#12 inlakesh

inlakesh
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 64 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 26 November 2011 - 11:38 AM

We could have a trade market in the commercial district. Have an area where people can set up their shops, with a message board for specific requests.

#13 mctheta

mctheta
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 204 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 03:40 PM

Actually, I sort of expected this one to happen naturally eventually. We could easily slap together a bulletin board in town in advance though, with signs/wood/etc so people can make requests. ;)

also, you could post stuff like "Come and take the Zone 35 Tour!"

we should try and put dates on them so we can knock them off after they've been up for a week or two.

There will be a 'Zone 35 Tour'. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users