30 replies to this topic

#1 roachdabug

roachdabug
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Retired Veteran

• 280 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 10:56 AM

We've got some non-Vets on the road crew it seems so here's the important info you need.

There's 2 images below:

#1 is the road design we settled on. It's the one on the LEFT. 5 stone-brick half slabs across with two stacked smooth stone half slabs on each side.

#2 is the latest road layout we worked up. It's not perfect, improvise if necessary. Also, ignore the rails on the map. That's all changed. The main double-lane boulevards extending in all directions from the portal hub are TOO WIDE and need to be shrunk down. Something like 10 blocks of grass between the lanes should be about right. Feel free to experiment, but once you've settled on a design STICK TO IT. The portal hub is also higher than the surrounding land on both the northern and the western sides (check compass directions on Dynamap as they have CHANGED), so we'll probably need some fancy stairs on each side of the hub to transition into the boulevard.

The standard chest building is obviously right in the way of the western boulevard. I'm not sure if it's being moved or if we're putting the road around it yet, so you may want to head north/south first.

There is an opportunity to build an awesome bridge on the main boulevard leading south from the portal across the water.

I need to go to back to work for a few hours but hopefully this will get us started in the mean time. If in doubt, ask a veteran!!

Cheers!

P.S. It will be a lot easier to work together if you all get on vent!!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 GarrikP

GarrikP
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,042 posts
  • LocationEast Texas
  • Nationality:US

Posted 02 December 2011 - 03:05 PM

I'm working on a layout on the east side of the portals

<Profound statement>

#3 roachdabug

roachdabug
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Retired Veteran

• 280 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:55 PM

We're off to a good start today. The main road north/south from the portal is mostly complete. The bridges still need supports added along the rest of the length, however this isn't a huge priority for now.

We need to send double lane major road to the west from the portal hub wrapping around the chest building (which will NOT be moving) and off to the end of the map. That will be the longest one so far, so any and all help is appreciated.

Beyond that, it's about time to start adding minor roads. i'm not sure we'll be able to follow the purple lines on the map exactly (at least to me, after walking around in game they seem like they'll be just slightly too dense as drawn) but they give a pretty good indication what kind of grid setup we're looking for. Keep existing buildings like the road crew building and the NPC village in mind when you start a new road. The sooner we get the roads done and the NPC shops in, the sooner we can let everybody else come enjoy building in the city, and the sooner we can spend some quality time with our own zones.

So let's get it done!
Posted Image

#4 Balkep

Balkep
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 239 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 01:47 AM

Is it me or the map has wrong orientation? In-game the northern direction has a connection of two roads, while on the map it doesn't. But the map has similar connection in the eastern direction instead.

#5 roachdabug

roachdabug
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Retired Veteran

• 280 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 11:33 AM

I've been going by whatever the compass on dynamap says. At the portal hub, the mountains are to the east.
Posted Image

#6 GarrikP

GarrikP
  • Veteran
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,042 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 03 December 2011 - 06:59 PM

I feel like the eastbound road should be on the surface since that's supposed to be Downtown.

<Profound statement>

#7 renic_ixillon

renic_ixillon
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Wooden Axe

• 565 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:01 PM

I have been eager to work on the road crew ever since I was put on it weeks ago. As soon as the map opened up I started unpacking to get to all the stone I had saved for my contribution to the road system. As a few who were actually working o the roads then can attest, I was there trying to help.

I wanted to do my best job and follow exactly what the plan was, but there seemed to be a lot of folks who either did not know what needed to be done, or were contradicting one another when I asked them.

Due to this, I had several incidences where I would be following one vets instructions and either be told I was doing it wrong by another, or come back and find all my work changed (which made me feel I wasted all that effort).

This all came to a head when a central road was started through a large hill with extensions branching off to the rail on either side. Having done a great deal of the boring through mountain on the other side of the zone I know how painfully tedious that work can be, so to help out I continued the road already started through the hill for well a couple hundred blocks or so and was planning on fixing up all the little patches to make it all look smooth when one of the vets told me that the road should have followed the terrain OVER the hills.

SO I started filling it all back in and prettied up the road so you would not know it had been a cave mouth previously. I ran out of mats to completely fill the tunnel but I selad the ends and was planning to get some dirt out of my chests to finish the filling.

When I am able to log in again I see a 2 tunnels through the hill (albeit not as far reaching). Someone had dug out the refill I had done and it appears thy finished the road to the end of the zone.

I really love being a part of this community and have always been eager to help in any way I can, but wasting HOURS of work is not my idea of fun.

So I will help anyone who is working on the road crew who knows what is supposed to be done (A VET - Since we trusteds were not really IN on the plans and don't know what to do). I will also not work on anything without a Vet present to avoid any more chances I would be "messing up" the zone. In essence I will answer any calls for assistane a vet might need but otherwise I will not be a part of the road crew.

My intention was always to help get things done so everyone could begin building up the city, not slow things down or inhibit the Veterans "Artistic Vision" lol

Let me know if I can help with anything (digging, hauling, building, whatever!), Otherwise I will be in my zone workin on my smaller and more humble "vision" :)

Sorry the post was so long as well!

#8 GarrikP

GarrikP
  • Veteran
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,042 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:50 PM

I think the problem was all of us have ideas, but there wasn't a group decision. With that, I think each of us actively working on it should pick one area to work on at a time, and work around what's already in place. It's Minecraft, we can pretty much do whatever we want, and if it doesn't work we can always rebuild.

<Profound statement>

#9 roachdabug

roachdabug
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Retired Veteran

• 280 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 03:35 PM

Also, everyone should do their best to keep each other posted and let us know what you're working on, how far along you are, what your idea is, etc.

In fact, that's what this very thread is for.
Posted Image

#10 Nekcalb

Nekcalb
  • Inactive
  • Retired Evildoer

• 1,138 posts
  • LocationCorn Field
  • Nationality:'merican

Posted 06 December 2011 - 03:55 PM

I'm still working on the rail system, i was forced to take a brief hiatis from the project due to the need for massive wool, and i am rapidly running out of food. Within a day i shall continue on it.

Currently i have been working on the Subway, that aspect is approximately 40% complete. Overall the entire rail system is about 35% complete.

If anyone wishes to continue contributing materials, please put stone or coal in the chests by the mini chest building. I personally will be needing additional materials for the rails since what i packed is basically gone.
Refusing to allow people to be paid less than a living wage preserves to us our own market. There is absolutely no use in producing anything if you gradually reduce the number of people able to buy even the cheapest products. The only way to preserve our markets is to pay an adequate wage. -- Eleanor Roosevelt

#11 GarrikP

GarrikP
  • Veteran
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,042 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:52 PM

I'll be working on the border of Downtown so we can divide the road crews a little bit. Folks could start building roads to the suburbs, cemetery, canals, etc...

<Profound statement>

#12 torcido

torcido
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Torch

• 762 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:34 PM

I have been eager to work on the road crew ever since I was put on it weeks ago. As soon as the map opened up I started unpacking to get to all the stone I had saved for my contribution to the road system. As a few who were actually working o the roads then can attest, I was there trying to help.

I wanted to do my best job and follow exactly what the plan was, but there seemed to be a lot of folks who either did not know what needed to be done, or were contradicting one another when I asked them.

Due to this, I had several incidences where I would be following one vets instructions and either be told I was doing it wrong by another, or come back and find all my work changed (which made me feel I wasted all that effort).

This all came to a head when a central road was started through a large hill with extensions branching off to the rail on either side. Having done a great deal of the boring through mountain on the other side of the zone I know how painfully tedious that work can be, so to help out I continued the road already started through the hill for well a couple hundred blocks or so and was planning on fixing up all the little patches to make it all look smooth when one of the vets told me that the road should have followed the terrain OVER the hills.

SO I started filling it all back in and prettied up the road so you would not know it had been a cave mouth previously. I ran out of mats to completely fill the tunnel but I selad the ends and was planning to get some dirt out of my chests to finish the filling.

When I am able to log in again I see a 2 tunnels through the hill (albeit not as far reaching). Someone had dug out the refill I had done and it appears thy finished the road to the end of the zone.

Renic,

I'm probably the culprit for most of that. I made a passing contribution to the original tunnel (dropping a lot of stone slabs into what you guys had dug out) but not nearly as much as you guys did. When I came back later, I saw that you had blocked it off and split the road into 2 stair sets leading up to Nek's rail. I assumed whoever split it into the separate roads down at the base was intending to split the rest of it all the way back to the main blvd, (to match Roach's map above) but just ran out of time.

So I did it, thinking I was actually helping out. Once I finished that up, Nek and I shifted the stair design you came up with back just a bit so they'd pass just under the rails instead of running up to the same level. That ended up putting two 'trenches' under the rails, so I covered them over into tunnels just to reduce the steep drop on each side.

I apologize if that makes it seem like your work was wasted. I'm used to re-building anything I build over and over, so I didn't realize it would be seen as a waste. Really, though, what you (and whoever else was helping) made was the foundation that allowed what's there now. And if someone else comes along with a good idea and fixes that mess that I left, that'd be good too. (Someone else finished extending it to the border, and Ery already fixed a separate problem I left on the North road, for which I am thankful.)

I've been working on a road to the NW village, trying to stay in range of Roach's design, but using the topography where possible. Feel free to tack something on to the end of that, or rework the part that runs along the stream edge (I think it could be better, but I got tired and gave up on it.) Or really any part of it that you see needs work.

Again, I'm sorry if I made you feel averse to contributing to the roads. Maybe we need our own ARRA-style signs: "This Road Brought To You By..." along the way so as to let people know who to contact if they want to make any major changes. And let me know if you want me to help put anything back the way you intended it to be.
Posted Image

#13 Balkep

Balkep
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 239 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:07 AM

Ok, the main 4 roads are connected to the borders of the city now.

#14 renic_ixillon

renic_ixillon
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Wooden Axe

• 565 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:06 AM

No worries Torcido. It was not just that one incident or I would not have even said anything lol.

I chalked it up to lack of communication and competing visions heheee!

I organize my days to maximize my MC time and just got frustrated feeling like I was just "spinning my wheels" and not getting anywhere.

I am always glad to jump in and contribute. If I catch you in MC later this week I will help you out with whatever you are working on.

#15 GarrikP

GarrikP
  • Veteran
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,042 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:58 AM

I think everyone should just pick an aspect of the roads and claim it here. If you don't have much time just fill in the streets as they're laid out.

<Profound statement>

#16 GarrikP

GarrikP
  • Veteran
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,042 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 07 December 2011 - 11:36 AM

For better reference I've checked and double checked and our city lines should be approximately as shown:

Posted Image

Posted Image

But I'm considering bringing Downtown in just a little bit from the left corner. I'm just not that sure we need that much urban space. Also aesthetically it's really farm from the water/rivers

<Profound statement>

#17 Nekcalb

Nekcalb
  • Inactive
  • Retired Evildoer

• 1,138 posts
  • LocationCorn Field
  • Nationality:'merican

Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:57 PM

For better reference I've checked and double checked and our city lines should be approximately as shown:

Posted Image

Posted Image

But I'm considering bringing Downtown in just a little bit from the left corner. I'm just not that sure we need that much urban space. Also aesthetically it's really farm from the water/rivers

I would leave it further out. After all it is suppose to be "Sixty City" and there is not much land dedicated to tall urban buildings. Besides i know i have a planned project in the middle that i am building over the rails, and it would be nice to have some gardens and such among the buildings rather than everything crammed super tight together. I was going to build a modern skyscraper too, but that will be much later on if i do.
Refusing to allow people to be paid less than a living wage preserves to us our own market. There is absolutely no use in producing anything if you gradually reduce the number of people able to buy even the cheapest products. The only way to preserve our markets is to pay an adequate wage. -- Eleanor Roosevelt

#18 latyper

latyper
  • PipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Workbench

• 309 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 03:36 PM

Maybe we need our own ARRA-style signs: "This Road Brought To You By..." along the way so as to let people know who to contact if they want to make any major changes.

Great idea, we should all do this.
When you cut me, I bleed out redstone in the shape of an NS-NOR latch.

#19 GarrikP

GarrikP
  • Veteran
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,042 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 09 December 2011 - 03:32 PM

Part 2, the eastern edges
Posted Image

Posted Image

<Profound statement>

#20 roachdabug

roachdabug
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Retired Veteran

• 280 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 03:57 PM

Maybe we need our own ARRA-style signs: "This Road Brought To You By..." along the way so as to let people know who to contact if they want to make any major changes.

Honestly, the last thing we need are privately "owned" roads or other areas in SixtyCity. You've got an entire zone to yourself to build your master plan. The city is a collaborative effort. If you will be offended by other people's changes, please don't build there.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users