#21 torcido

torcido
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Torch

• 762 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 09 December 2011 - 05:55 PM

Honestly, the last thing we need are privately "owned" roads or other areas in SixtyCity. You've got an entire zone to yourself to build your master plan. The city is a collaborative effort. If you will be offended by other people's changes, please don't build there.

That's how I feel about whatever slap-happy paving I've been throwing around. Feel free to have your way with any roads I've made. They aren't shy. They've been flirting with Bal left and right.

But I can see how someone who puts in 'time' may feel an attachment to the work, and not want someone just willy-nilly coming in and erasing their whole deal. In that case, having a 'courtesy' sign may help. Not really ownership, more like a signature.
Posted Image

#22 GarrikP

GarrikP
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,042 posts
  • LocationEast Texas
  • Nationality:US

Posted 10 December 2011 - 06:48 AM

Well, SixtyGig already has a courtesy sign in being grief-free server.
If you feel that you could improve a piece already done find out who did it and ask, otherwise completely redoing it is a form of griefing, even in a freebuild area like 60City

<Profound statement>

#23 torcido

torcido
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Torch

• 762 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 10 December 2011 - 02:12 PM

Well, SixtyGig already has a courtesy sign in being grief-free server.
If you feel that you could improve a piece already done find out who did it and ask, otherwise completely redoing it is a form of griefing, even in a freebuild area like 60City

Hence the justification for a sign, so you don't have to waste everyone's time trying to figure out who did what.

I'll just play it safe from now on.
Posted Image

#24 torcido

torcido
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Torch

• 762 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 10 December 2011 - 03:09 PM

I do think throwing the 'G'-word around is a but much, though. Like roach said, these aren't 'privately owned roads', and it's not like widening a road or moving it over 5 spots to allow for another desired structure is the same as intentionally stealing all the pink wool from Ery's cake or burning down the General Store, or something that actually damages a person's buildings. To paraphrase Iverson, "We're talking about roads."

But perhaps Renic was right (in more ways than one) by saying he'll wait for veteran direction before paving anything else. It not only saves from 'wasted' time when something get's 'griefed', but it's a lot easier than trying to help the commons only to have your contribution be deemed, by implication, as 'griefing'.

I don't want anyone worrying about that with anything I've already done, though, so feel free to relocate/expand/remove any of 'my' roads (the middle parts of the north road including the tunnel, most of the west road, at least the 'griefed' parts, the western side of the south road, the village road, and NW bridge (w/Bal), plus a handful of of the internal alleys).
Posted Image

#25 Nekcalb

Nekcalb
  • Inactive
  • Retired Evildoer

• 1,138 posts
  • LocationCorn Field
  • Nationality:'merican

Posted 10 December 2011 - 05:21 PM

I do think throwing the 'G'-word around is a but much, though. Like roach said, these aren't 'privately owned roads', and it's not like widening a road or moving it over 5 spots to allow for another desired structure is the same as intentionally stealing all the pink wool from Ery's cake or burning down the General Store, or something that actually damages a person's buildings. To paraphrase Iverson, "We're talking about roads."

But perhaps Renic was right (in more ways than one) by saying he'll wait for veteran direction before paving anything else. It not only saves from 'wasted' time when something get's 'griefed', but it's a lot easier than trying to help the commons only to have your contribution be deemed, by implication, as 'griefing'.

I don't want anyone worrying about that with anything I've already done, though, so feel free to relocate/expand/remove any of 'my' roads (the middle parts of the north road including the tunnel, most of the west road, at least the 'griefed' parts, the western side of the south road, the village road, and NW bridge (w/Bal), plus a handful of of the internal alleys).

Well to clarify the situation with the west road, i did ask torcido to modify it, for some reason it was going up the hill to track level and back down, this made little sense to me being both sides of the rail line were lower so why not go under it. So it was changed to better suit the location. No offense was meant by this action.

I have made my opinion of grade level road crossings with the rails known numerous times, to avoid it if possible. All it takes is one creeper to get in your path on the tracks to not only stop you, but blow you to smithereens while your trapped in the cart.

I intentionally raised the tracks even higher than initially planned to help with eliminating this issue among others. Perhaps i am being picky, but then again i have put a lot of planning, resources, and time into this project and i want nothing more than for a ride around and threw the city to be an enjoyable and scenic trip.

But back to the roads, sometimes there may be an issue where a planned project turns out to be slightly larger than the space provided, as long as it is not one of the four main avenues i see no reason it can not be modified. But i would recommend discussing the modification with a veteran before making any changes.

Sixty City is a place we can all call home, hopefully every member will find the time to add their best structures and creations to the city. But also keep in mind that although Sixty City is a place for the entire community it is also moderated by the veterans to try and keep a pleasant and enjoyable place to visit.
Refusing to allow people to be paid less than a living wage preserves to us our own market. There is absolutely no use in producing anything if you gradually reduce the number of people able to buy even the cheapest products. The only way to preserve our markets is to pay an adequate wage. -- Eleanor Roosevelt

#26 renic_ixillon

renic_ixillon
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Wooden Axe

• 565 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:10 AM

Nekcalb,

I will try and pop on and work on the rail supports as I can this week. Feel free to PM me with anything else I could help you out with. I am glad we got all 8 rail extensions to the end of the zone this weekend! I will leave the ascetics to you, just send me any grunt work you need done and I will do my best to get it done in a timely manner. I am usually filled with work obligations during the week but still manage an hour or two here and there LOL.

As for the "griefing" terminology. I have always thought of griefing as having a malicious intent to it and I am sure that noone workin on the project would do something like that. Like Ray. I have my own little OCD compulsions and just got frustrated and was merely wanting a little consideration before having my work wasted lol.

I decided to just wait on Vets and assist them and it has worked out well that way. While I do not think we need to put up signs (not a bad idea in itself though hehee), I should just learn to double check before continuing any project under Vet supervision. It was just a "too many chiefs, not enough indians" kinda deal haha!

I love our MC community and do not want anyone getting up in arms over anything I say or do. Those who apologized and talked to me about it were very gracious and it just shows how great the quality of people we have in 60gig are!

So let's keep working together to make this the best server we can and I will try not to be so sensitive in the future! :P

#27 Nekcalb

Nekcalb
  • Inactive
  • Retired Evildoer

• 1,138 posts
  • LocationCorn Field

Posted 12 December 2011 - 06:26 PM

Nekcalb,

I will try and pop on and work on the rail supports as I can this week. Feel free to PM me with anything else I could help you out with. I am glad we got all 8 rail extensions to the end of the zone this weekend! I will leave the ascetics to you, just send me any grunt work you need done and I will do my best to get it done in a timely manner. I am usually filled with work obligations during the week but still manage an hour or two here and there LOL.

Not a problem, if you get time any additional help will be appreciated as well.
Refusing to allow people to be paid less than a living wage preserves to us our own market. There is absolutely no use in producing anything if you gradually reduce the number of people able to buy even the cheapest products. The only way to preserve our markets is to pay an adequate wage. -- Eleanor Roosevelt

#28 GarrikP

GarrikP
  • Veteran
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,042 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:10 AM

The northern half of downtown is all laid out but needs a good amount of brick laying if anyone can help out with that.
It's also ready for street signs and lamp posts.

<Profound statement>

#29 Nekcalb

Nekcalb
  • Inactive
  • Retired Evildoer

• 1,138 posts
  • LocationCorn Field

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:58 AM

Garrik

I had Ray put the Lumber Store in the city park on the North East side of the inner city, where i initially wanted to place it was already deemed a Nature Preserve. So i looked for a good alternative, thinking a sawmill could be built nearby with the streams that pass threw the area. I didn't notice the city park till just now :/

#30 GarrikP

GarrikP
  • Veteran
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,042 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:22 PM

Checking out the suburb roads and I would like to change a couple things up but I don't know who did them (/mr.bill Ohhh noooooo /mr.bill)

So if you worked on the 'burb roads get in touch with me please?

<Profound statement>

#31 torcido

torcido
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Torch

• 762 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 21 December 2011 - 06:02 PM

Bal & I made the suburb roads. What do we need to fix?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users