19 replies to this topic

#1 roachdabug

roachdabug
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Retired Veteran

• 280 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:52 PM

Streets in 60 city will have names and buildings built there will have actual addresses!! Why? Why not??

But I stink at naming things so list your street name ideas! I can't promise they'll all be used but I'll do my best.
Posted Image

#2 Eryng

Eryng
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Retired Applications Manager

• 629 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 10:26 PM

For the 4 main roads, we should just call them North/East/West/South road. Simple and too the point.

#3 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • Nationality:American

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:43 AM

We could name some of them after players, like Nek Ave, Roach Rd, Ery Way, Stillwater Bridge, etc.

Nothing too formal, nicknames and such.

sig.png

#4 latyper

latyper
  • PipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Workbench

• 309 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 03:18 AM

Can we rename the city "Latyper City"?
When you cut me, I bleed out redstone in the shape of an NS-NOR latch.

#5 MattyQ

MattyQ
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 22 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 06:43 AM

If you want to get REALLY complex (or maybe really organized? I can't always tell the difference), you could have "neighborhoods" of names. Like, one neighborhood could have streets drawn from the periodic table of elements. Or, the whole 1985 Superbowl champions Miami Dolphins roster! (I hear they play some kind of sportsball.)

#6 GarrikP

GarrikP
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,042 posts
  • LocationEast Texas
  • Nationality:US

Posted 10 December 2011 - 06:51 AM

The loop around downtown should be I-60. :P

<Profound statement>

#7 roachdabug

roachdabug
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Retired Veteran

• 280 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 09:55 AM

We could name some of them after players, like Nek Ave, Roach Rd, Ery Way, Stillwater Bridge, etc.

Nothing too formal, nicknames and such.

I still think Rayvolution Rd has a nice ring to it.
Posted Image

#8 Nekcalb

Nekcalb
  • Inactive
  • Retired Evildoer

• 1,138 posts
  • LocationCorn Field
  • Nationality:'merican

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:41 AM

If you want to get REALLY complex (or maybe really organized? I can't always tell the difference), you could have "neighborhoods" of names. Like, one neighborhood could have streets drawn from the periodic table of elements. Or, the whole 1985 Superbowl champions Miami Dolphins roster! (I hear they play some kind of sportsball.)

1985 Super Bowl champions were the Chicago Bears and ironically the Miami Dolphins were the only team to defeat them that season, other wise the Bears would have gone undefeated.
Refusing to allow people to be paid less than a living wage preserves to us our own market. There is absolutely no use in producing anything if you gradually reduce the number of people able to buy even the cheapest products. The only way to preserve our markets is to pay an adequate wage. -- Eleanor Roosevelt

#9 torcido

torcido
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Torch

• 762 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 10 December 2011 - 02:06 PM

We could easily go North/South or East/West to qualify generic road names, and then have the primary routes be 'Main St' & '60th Ave' (even though we don't have a 59th, or any others for that matter).

Other 'utility' names could be added like 'Canal Street' or 'Northwoods Drive' or 'River Road' or 'Altavista Pass', etc. for some of the more major roads that people may need to use in 'directions' to some of the more distant areas.

Then the smaller roads could be personalized easily, especially if someone builds something grand along it. The castle could have the "Champs-Elyse-Ray" leading up to it.

And we could have Tordico Alley.
Posted Image

#10 Nekcalb

Nekcalb
  • Inactive
  • Retired Evildoer

• 1,138 posts
  • LocationCorn Field

Posted 10 December 2011 - 05:26 PM

I've kinda debated this with the rail lines as well, for now they will be referenced as the blue line, red line, green line, and yellow line.

But i think even the four main roads could have creative names, instead of North Road maybe call it Artic Way, or the West Road could be known as the Sunset Strip. Something along the lines that it's obvious if you think about it.
Refusing to allow people to be paid less than a living wage preserves to us our own market. There is absolutely no use in producing anything if you gradually reduce the number of people able to buy even the cheapest products. The only way to preserve our markets is to pay an adequate wage. -- Eleanor Roosevelt

#11 Eryng

Eryng
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Retired Applications Manager

• 629 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:00 AM

We should call one of the roads the "Boulevard of Broken Dreams"

#12 Shalterra

Shalterra
  • Pip
  • Inactive
  • Log

• 110 posts
  • Nationality:American

Posted 12 December 2011 - 06:24 AM

We could have an Eagle Drive leading up to the Hotel California...

Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 torcido

torcido
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Torch

• 762 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 12 December 2011 - 06:25 AM

I was thinking maybe:

- AuroRay Boulevardis for the northern road [from Aurora Borealis]

- Eryental Avenue for the east, (even though she's way to the NW of the city) or since he's over there, The LooVante or AnaTimlian Road [The Orient as 'the East' from Latin oriens, or Levant from French or Anatolia = Greek]

- Nekphyrus Avenue for west, (or Axidantalis Ave) [From Zephyrus , the western wind and Occidental = The West]

- GarPricorn Road to the south (or Pgarrik Avenue (but with a silent 'g' so it sounds like "Park") or SuRDBug Way) [Tropic of Capricorn (southern) or Sur/Sud = southern]
Posted Image

#14 quickgroth

quickgroth
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 242 posts
  • LocationChandler, Arizona
  • Nationality:'Merican

Posted 12 December 2011 - 06:42 AM

North: quickgroth st
East: quickgroth rd
South: quickgroth way
West: quickgroth ct

Just my 2 cents ;D

#15 nottir

nottir
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 84 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:46 AM

I like North/South/East/West for the main roads, then maybe themes in the quadrants? E.g., all streets in the northeast quadrant are player names, southeast are muppet names, or whatever, etc. Then if the market is on Gonzo Lane you know which quadrant to head toward. (For those of us who always get lost in virtual cities. :))

#16 GarrikP

GarrikP
  • Veteran
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,042 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 12 December 2011 - 11:37 AM

I like the quadrant idea, but I think the city is too divided for it. What I propose is to have themes per area.
Downtown have numbers & player names
Suburbs use trees & flowers
Rural use natural block type
etc...

<Profound statement>

#17 renic_ixillon

renic_ixillon
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Wooden Axe

• 565 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 11:58 AM

As the Lord of Limbo I care not for your little street names! LOL

Although, "Renic's End" would make a nice dead end street name! :)

#18 Nekcalb

Nekcalb
  • Inactive
  • Retired Evildoer

• 1,138 posts
  • LocationCorn Field

Posted 12 December 2011 - 06:19 PM

Well perhaps the street names should be put on hold till the city gets developed a little more.

Again i "do not" want a street named after me, some people consider it an honor, i think it is [CENSORED]

#19 GarrikP

GarrikP
  • Veteran
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,042 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:48 AM

I'm kinda in agreement in Nek about player names actually.
If we name streets after players now, and those players leave (possibly on a bad note) then we have to change the street name, or new players petitioning to have their names up there. All in all I think it's just easier to use other street names instead of players. I only suggested it since it seemed so many others wanted it.

<Profound statement>

#20 simonparnell

simonparnell
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Coal

• 642 posts
  • LocationUK
  • Nationality:British

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:45 PM

If we have names we will need statues and gateways! Or in the proper British naming of roads just change the rules every five minutes so noone knows where the hell they are from one decade to the next?

I think I prefer Nottir's suggestion the best, formalised but with a theme so you at least have some idea where you are. A few "you are here" signs would be a bonus!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users