Rayvolution
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • Nationality:American

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:32 PM

To promote the opening of SixtyCity, I have an idea. We can hold a themed building contest.

For example, it costs 25 Gold to enter, and 3 winners are chosen. First place will get 60% of all the contestant entry fees, second will get 30% and third will get 10%. So the more people who enter, the more money will be won!

The rules will be simple, you're required to build something in SixtyCity based on the theme chosen, for example a "Build a Skyscraper" theme. The most voted building wins!

Hypothetical contest if we held one Jan 1st.
- Build a skyscraper! The best design wins! Must fit a "big city, downtown theme".
- All members will have 3 weeks to apply and build their building. For example, it will start January 1st, you have until the end of the third week of January (The 27th) to finish. The sooner you enter, the more time you have to build!
- After the third week of January, members will vote on the best design until the end of the month.

Rules?:
- Anyone can play or vote. But not both.
- After the end of the third week of the month, even if your building is NOT completed, you will no longer be allowed to work on it. Although, if the building is incomplete, you may finish it after the contest.

Opinions? If everyone is happy with the idea, we could start one in January!

sig.png

#2 quickgroth

quickgroth
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 242 posts
  • LocationChandler, Arizona
  • Nationality:'Merican

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:57 PM

Looks good. I'm in, I'll find you in game and throw up some gold on you.

#3 Nekcalb

Nekcalb
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Retired Evildoer

• 1,138 posts
  • LocationCorn Field
  • Nationality:'merican

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:41 PM

- Anyone can play or vote. But not both.

Yes on both, there is no guarantee that anyone would vote for themselves, then again if they did it wouldn't matter.

Rather than limiting players to the type of building, only limit it to the zones theme. Therefor every zone whether it's downtown, suburbs, farm, or the harbor a competition could be held for each region of the map. Players could coordinate their buildings more to complete an overall themed project. For example in the farm area 2 players want to build farmhouses, 3 others a barn and 1 a windmill. it would develop the city region in a more uniform matter instead of 6 barns popping up.

As far as prize money goes, i think it should be divisible by 9, so 27 gold then each participate can place their wager with a name sign on it right in front of their project.
Refusing to allow people to be paid less than a living wage preserves to us our own market. There is absolutely no use in producing anything if you gradually reduce the number of people able to buy even the cheapest products. The only way to preserve our markets is to pay an adequate wage. -- Eleanor Roosevelt

#4 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 27 December 2011 - 05:09 PM

Yes on both, there is no guarantee that anyone would vote for themselves, then again if they did it wouldn't matter.

Rather than limiting players to the type of building, only limit it to the zones theme. Therefor every zone whether it's downtown, suburbs, farm, or the harbor a competition could be held for each region of the map. Players could coordinate their buildings more to complete an overall themed project. For example in the farm area 2 players want to build farmhouses, 3 others a barn and 1 a windmill. it would develop the city region in a more uniform matter instead of 6 barns popping up.

As far as prize money goes, i think it should be divisible by 9, so 27 gold then each participate can place their wager with a name sign on it right in front of their project.

Region themed would definitely be better, you're right. We should do it that way. It also adds in more freedom for members to build things they're good at.

As for the voting thing, I rewrote that line like 10 times going back and forth. On one side, I want everyone to vote, but don't want contestants to vote for the "low guy" to better their own chances of winning. On the other side, I'm concerned that if contestants can't vote, no one else will because if they were interested in the contest chances are they will participate.. How about a simple "can't vote for yourself, but if you're a contestant, you're required to vote" rule instead?

I could also make the votes all hidden, so no one has a clue who's leading, so they can't vote for the low guy anyway.

Why would you want the wager divisible by 9? If we go that route wouldn't 8 be better? (so 24, or 32 gold fee instead). Keeping the numbers to 8s and making math easier with stacks. Unless Im not understanding what you mean.

sig.png

#5 Nekcalb

Nekcalb
  • Inactive
  • Retired Evildoer

• 1,138 posts
  • LocationCorn Field

Posted 27 December 2011 - 05:28 PM

Why would you want the wager divisible by 9? If we go that route wouldn't 8 be better? (so 24, or 32 gold fee instead). Keeping the numbers to 8s and making math easier with stacks. Unless Im not understanding what you mean.

See if this helps, in front of each project the participate places a sign :3d_sign_16px: with their name. The sign is placed on the participates wager which not only makes it known who's project it is, but also clearly shows that the project is in a competition, the winner can collect all wagers at the end of the contest.
:3d_gold_block_16px:
Refusing to allow people to be paid less than a living wage preserves to us our own market. There is absolutely no use in producing anything if you gradually reduce the number of people able to buy even the cheapest products. The only way to preserve our markets is to pay an adequate wage. -- Eleanor Roosevelt

#6 LordHalfTruth

LordHalfTruth
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 12 posts
  • LocationWashington, D.C.

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:08 PM

Building competitions sounds awesome!

I am looking forward to it!

#7 mctheta

mctheta
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 204 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:54 PM

:-\

I just posted a proposed site i'm interested in building but i don't really have the mats to get into a competition...

#8 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 27 December 2011 - 07:14 PM

See if this helps, in front of each project the participate places a sign :3d_sign_16px: with their name. The sign is placed on the participates wager which not only makes it known who's project it is, but also clearly shows that the project is in a competition, the winner can collect all wagers at the end of the contest.

hah, duh. Gold blocks would be best.

That may work, although it'll be somewhat problematic once we have to pay out, since we'll have to divide all the winnings among 3 people. Meaning we'll have to run around and collect it all, then hand it out. Rather than allowing the winners to do it.

We could also make up a "prize" spot and pile all the blocks in a messy fashion (Like my Fort Knox building), to show off whats up for grabs. But then we'd still need to mark buildings so they're easier to find. Maybe 1x1x5 Glowstone with a sign?

sig.png

#9 latyper

latyper
  • PipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Workbench

• 309 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 03:20 AM

This sounds like an awesome idea. Although I liked the original theme based entries over the zone based entries. Theme based entries will probably prove easier to judge otherwise we will be asked to decide between structures that are not really comparable, (ie. a ship vs. a lighthouse.) 6 barns wouldn't pop up unless that was what the contest was calling for. If instead the contest asks for 6 farms, or even farm houses, we would still not end up with redundant structures.
When you cut me, I bleed out redstone in the shape of an NS-NOR latch.

#10 Nekcalb

Nekcalb
  • Inactive
  • Retired Evildoer

• 1,138 posts
  • LocationCorn Field

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:25 AM

This sounds like an awesome idea. Although I liked the original theme based entries over the zone based entries. Theme based entries will probably prove easier to judge otherwise we will be asked to decide between structures that are not really comparable, (ie. a ship vs. a lighthouse.) 6 barns wouldn't pop up unless that was what the contest was calling for. If instead the contest asks for 6 farms, or even farm houses, we would still not end up with redundant structures.

Your very much limiting the possibilities on where a contest could be held by sticking to a specific type of structure. Regardless if it is a ship or lighthouse judgement to which is better is simply which has the better appeal to each persons eye. Basically by limiting the field to one type of structure is the equivalent of going to a car show and saying that a best of show cannot be awarded because all the cars are not 1957 Chevys.

By saying the next contest is downtown for a skyscraper rather than the next contest is downtown for whatever fits the region your limiting the number of participates, 3 people may be interested in building a skyscraper where as leaving the contest open 6 or 7 may join having various projects in mind for the downtown area.

The server does not have that many people, and most will not want to join in any competition for various reasons. I may participate in some, but it surely wont be every contest, limiting it to one specific building type would make it even less i would enter.

On another note: I think it should be a winner take all wager :3d_gold_block_16px: :3d_gold_block_16px: :3d_gold_block_16px: :3d_gold_block_16px: :3d_gold_block_16px: :3d_gold_block_16px: :3d_gold_block_16px: :3d_gold_block_16px: :3d_gold_block_16px: :3d_gold_block_16px: :3d_gold_block_16px: :3d_gold_block_16px: :3d_gold_block_16px:

#11 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 28 December 2011 - 07:25 AM

Your very much limiting the possibilities on where a contest could be held by sticking to a specific type of structure. Regardless if it is a ship or lighthouse judgement to which is better is simply which has the better appeal to each persons eye. Basically by limiting the field to one type of structure is the equivalent of going to a car show and saying that a best of show cannot be awarded because all the cars are not 1957 Chevys.

By saying the next contest is downtown for a skyscraper rather than the next contest is downtown for whatever fits the region your limiting the number of participates, 3 people may be interested in building a skyscraper where as leaving the contest open 6 or 7 may join having various projects in mind for the downtown area.

The server does not have that many people, and most will not want to join in any competition for various reasons. I may participate in some, but it surely wont be every contest, limiting it to one specific building type would make it even less i would enter.

On another note: I think it should be a winner take all wager :3d_gold_block_16px: :3d_gold_block_16px: :3d_gold_block_16px: :3d_gold_block_16px: :3d_gold_block_16px: :3d_gold_block_16px: :3d_gold_block_16px: :3d_gold_block_16px: :3d_gold_block_16px: :3d_gold_block_16px: :3d_gold_block_16px: :3d_gold_block_16px: :3d_gold_block_16px:

Winner takes all may work fine if there's not many participants, although I'm concerned with 10 or more people it may give an aura of "hopelessness" when competitors see buildings they know are going to stomp their designs.

At least with the top 3 winning, people can go "Well damn, his building totally pwns mine.. but hey, I might get second place!" What if we make the fee something like 2 gold blocks, 1 lapis and 1 iron? First place gets all the gold, second all the lapis and third all the iron? Or is that too much/confusing?

sig.png

#12 GarrikP

GarrikP
  • Veteran
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,042 posts
  • LocationEast Texas
  • Nationality:US

Posted 28 December 2011 - 07:55 AM

1 of each could work just as easily.

<Profound statement>

#13 simonparnell

simonparnell
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Coal

• 642 posts
  • LocationUK
  • Nationality:British

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:17 AM

I'm in. Would be a welcome distraction from raising towers and digging to the depths of the earth
Posted Image

#14 latyper

latyper
  • PipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Workbench

• 309 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:46 AM

Basically by limiting the field to one type of structure is the equivalent of going to a car show and saying that a best of show cannot be awarded because all the cars are not 1957 Chevys.

I would say that it is more like going to a car show and saying that a best of show cannot be awarded because it is a hovercraft not a car.

It occurred to me after my last post that the point is not really worth arguing about though since there is no reason that we can't all just host the competitions that we think are best.
When you cut me, I bleed out redstone in the shape of an NS-NOR latch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users