ananda11
  • PipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Workbench

• 373 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA
  • Nationality:Irish-German

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:33 PM

I am in the process of making a scenic tour route for mine carts that would run through my zone. I figured that even without things being fully developed yet, some of the vistas would be pretty cool.
It occured to me that each of us has the same potential for members to tour the world. My idea is to connect other member's tour loops via cart lines that come from the outside zones to the city.
In the city you could re-connect, through the marvelous rail system that is in place, to a route that radiates out of the city. Each cart line would average 6 blocks above the ground whenever practical to keep the lines clear of mobs. Members could coordinate the connector line among their regions for the best layout. What say ye, Sixty-Giggers???

#2 mctheta

mctheta
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 204 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:57 PM

i love the idea of a rail ultimately leading to/from every zone for tours. part of my zone tour will be viewed from a boat. for some reason a boat tour sounds cool to me. :)

#3 Nekcalb

Nekcalb
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Retired Evildoer

• 1,138 posts
  • LocationCorn Field
  • Nationality:'merican

Posted 27 December 2011 - 07:06 PM

I would like to incorporate a zone wide rail line in my zone eventually as well. But initially i intend to make a spur from the city to my portal first when i get it's final placement determined. My zone has an absolutely amazing natural waterfall that can not be seen from the dynamap. But once i get a little further on my zone development a scenic route will be passing by the waterfall for sure. Also as mctheta indicated i intend on having a dock, the river has already been dredged, just a matter of placing the dock.
Refusing to allow people to be paid less than a living wage preserves to us our own market. There is absolutely no use in producing anything if you gradually reduce the number of people able to buy even the cheapest products. The only way to preserve our markets is to pay an adequate wage. -- Eleanor Roosevelt

#4 GarrikP

GarrikP
  • Veteran
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,042 posts
  • LocationEast Texas
  • Nationality:US

Posted 27 December 2011 - 07:25 PM

A very nice idea, but I'm worried the scope is so large it would never get finished. Th

<Profound statement>

#5 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • Nationality:American

Posted 27 December 2011 - 08:15 PM

While a nice idea, one thing to keep in mind is players leaving the server. I've found it's actually a very bad idea to incorperate features of your zone with your neghbors. What if 4 or 5 people get together and make a complicated rail system and the guy in the middle section leaves, what then? You'd all be screwed waiting for a new member to take that zone, and just hoping that he'll work with you all to get the system back online.

I'm all for cool, big projects. I just find it's best to avoid creating complicated systems with several neighbors, in the end eventually one of you will leave causing the other(s) to be forced to cope, and if the system is complicated enough, one member leaving could perma-break it.

Just my opinion though. You're more than welcome to build it anyway. I have enough complicated systems to keep track of though, so I doubt I'll be involved. ;)

sig.png

#6 torcido

torcido
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Torch

• 762 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:00 PM

Ahh, but if it is expansive enough, the loss of one or more people may not require anything but detours.

I agree that it's a risk to put a lot of effort into an overlapping system, like building a big roundabout and fountain complex on a border with a neighbor of a disreputable persuasion, but simple 'connectors' with neighbors that can be simply re-routed to an existing track along the border to the next guy would potentially require all 6 of your neighbors to either leave or go all Arizona on protecting their borders before you'd be completely landlocked.

Just keep it in mind, and don't build big structures that overlap the bedrock township and range, and it may be a neat way to take in a multi-zone sight-seeing railway adventure, whether it's the Orient Express or Some Like It Hot.
Posted Image

#7 MatterStorm

MatterStorm
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 27 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ
  • Nationality:American

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:57 PM

I love this idea. Even if it is impossible to get a rail system going through every single zone, which would be cool as well, a tour line originating from the portal in each zone would still be a great way to see what everyone has accomplished.

#8 mctheta

mctheta
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 204 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:35 PM

I love this idea. Even if it is impossible to get a rail system going through every single zone, which would be cool as well, a tour line originating from the portal in each zone would still be a great way to see what everyone has accomplished.

only problem i see with that, Matter, is that some people may have moved their portal elsewhere, like myself. i don't mind people going thru my place, but some may not want their main portal location to be the start of their tour. a tour may show the entire zone and not ever go to the portal location, which is also highly likely to be the case for me once i get mine up and running. that being said, my crib (where my portal is) is one of my best works, so i will likely want to include it in the tour. just an example.

here's an idea... just an idea. Not trying to pile on admin work/overhead here.

1) build portal hub in town somewhere solely for tour portals
2) once a player has a formal tour ready (defined tour path and sights to see), sell a 2-way portal at a discount

a) one portal goes in tour hub
b) one portal goes within 15x15 of the tour start/finish; clear signage of tour starting point is needed
c) user cannot announce 'Tour Ready', get the discounted portals, then dismantle the tour; thus the need for clear signage and start point witin 15 square blocks of the portal; if so, ye be at the mercy of mighty Ray

3) put a donation chest near portal/tour start and if the tourists are impressed, maybe they'll be kind enough to donate.

This way there are no elaborate rail systems interconnecting everywhere and no disappointment if a collaborator leaves the server. I realize the building of an additional portal hub is more admin work, but it seems there is enough demand for an official tour system to warrant it. Plus i doubt there will be a mass exodus to acquire tour portals. Also, having some kind of standard for at least the tour entrance/exit will make it easier than finding someones rail, finding their start point, etc. I could see some people never going on some tours if its difficult to find where it actually starts.

again, just a thought... :)

#9 Nekcalb

Nekcalb
  • Inactive
  • Retired Evildoer

• 1,138 posts
  • LocationCorn Field
  • Nationality:'merican

Posted 28 December 2011 - 03:16 PM

Personally i would like to see an intentionally connected rail system, obviously there will be gaps in the system, players will come and go, but everyone is spoiled by the stargate portal system, i intentionally don't use the portals sometimes just to have a look around.

1) build portal hub in town somewhere solely for tour portals
2) once a player has a formal tour ready (defined tour path and sights to see), sell a 2-way portal at a discount

Realistically someone can build a Travel Center in the city, keep it fairly close to the portal hub even. Design it in such a way that numerous portals can be implemented over time. If a player has a tour line, or maze, or puzzle they want others to experience they all could be put at the Travel Center. Perhaps in the main entrance of such could have a bulletin board listing the various types of tours or challenges.

As far as portal cost goes that is up to Ray, perhaps he could give a discount if certain criteria are met for portals with a specific purpose.
Refusing to allow people to be paid less than a living wage preserves to us our own market. There is absolutely no use in producing anything if you gradually reduce the number of people able to buy even the cheapest products. The only way to preserve our markets is to pay an adequate wage. -- Eleanor Roosevelt

#10 mctheta

mctheta
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 204 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 03:33 PM

Personally i would like to see an intentionally connected rail system, obviously there will be gaps in the system, players will come and go, but everyone is spoiled by the stargate portal system, i intentionally don't use the portals sometimes just to have a look around.

my only concern is i feel like a rail system would have to land somewhere consistently so it's not a logistical nightmare. plus players may want to have you view the tour a certain way or certain path that may not make sense with an integrated rail system. in my honest opinion, i agree, i like rails more and they feel more 'realistic', but it just seems it would be a logistical mess when you are talking about potentially 60 different zones to connect.

#11 GarrikP

GarrikP
  • Veteran
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,042 posts
  • LocationEast Texas
  • Nationality:US

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:08 PM

Realistically, with all the different ways a multi-zone rail could work, the simplest would be for every person that wants on to build their own route with station(s) and add switch stations to neighboring zones where appropriate.
That way people that don't want a railway don't *have* to build one as well, just because they're in the middle.

<Profound statement>

#12 torcido

torcido
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Torch

• 762 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:42 PM

I agree with Garrik. It doesn't have to be a robust system with interchanges at several places along each border or anything. just one linkage at one spot somewhere along the line.

A simple system with neighbors lining their rails up to make a continuous inter-Gig railway system between them wouldn't require that it hit every other zone. Get a couple of separate groups of 2-5 people linking themselves in a pocket, and then we can worry about whether we need to connect the separate groups together along a border right-of-way or plan for isolated 'drops' as people leave or something. Sometimes it's worth giving it a show and then waiting to see if there will be a problem worth fixing if it gets up and running in the first place.

Sort of like Ray with his spaghetti price list. Throw it up against the wall, and see if it sticks. Then worry about the damage to the paint, and the carpeting beneath.

Or something.
Posted Image

#13 simonparnell

simonparnell
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Coal

• 642 posts
  • LocationUK
  • Nationality:British

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:07 PM

I love it - and if some spars end up disused - just like the real thing :P