Photo

SixtyCity Downtown Building Competition!!

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Poll: SixtyCity Downtown Building Competition!! (18 member(s) have cast votes)

Competition Entries.

1. Mom & Pop Furniture Outlet by Nekcalb (16, 66, -157) (3 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

2. Sixty Beans by twilytgardnfaery (-111, 73, -224) (7 votes [38.89%])

Percentage of vote: 38.89%

3. City Pool by Latyper (-33, 68, 65) (3 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

4. Duckpub Fish and Blocks by infiniteduck (-149, 67, 120) (5 votes [27.78%])

Percentage of vote: 27.78%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • Nationality:American

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:45 AM

An AMAZING 4 WAY TIE!! Vote over the weekend to select the second and third place contestants!!
TO REVOTE: Hit "Delete my vote" and vote again!

Hey SG'ers! We're going to start our first ever SixtyGig Building Competition! The rules are simple. Build something in SixtyCity's downtown area. You may build anything you like that matches the downtown theme in any area in the downtown area of the city that is not off limits or reserved!

The entry fee is 2 Gold Blocks, 2 Lapis Blocks and 2 Iron Blocks. First place will receive all of the Gold Blocks, second all of the Lapis and third all of the Iron. So the more participants, the more you can win!

All the technicals:
Phase One - Building:
- You MAY NOT start building until February 1st.
- You MUST STOP building by Midnight, February 20th. (Server time)
- You CAN NOT reserve space in the city until February 1st, and you MUST place your entry fee on the site as soon as it is claimed, even if you have not started to build.
- You MAY start at any time after February 1st, it is not required that you put in your entry on the first. It just must be put in when you start building or reserve a spot.
- Your Entry fee of 2 Gold, Lapis and Iron block will be stacked up outside of your building site.
- Your building must be under 40x40 (Or any mathematical equivalent, 30x50, 35x45, 20x60, etc)
- Your building must match the downtown theme. Office buildings, skyscrapers, hotels, inns, tourist attractions, etc.
- "City/Government" buildings are allowed, but must be approved by a Veteran first and must not already exist in the city. For example, a "Courthouse" already exists, so you can't make a second one, but a Police Station, Fire Department and City Library does not.
- If you run out of time, and do not complete your building, you MAY NOT touch it until voting is over and winners are announced. Once the competition is over, you can finish your building.
- Make sure you reply to this thread with the location of your building so we know where it is, and that it exists.

Phase Two - Voting
- Voting will start February 21st and end February 29th. The winners will be announced March 1st!
- Anyone can vote, including participants. But, you MAY NOT vote for yourself. Anyone caught abusing the voting system will have their building taken out of the contest. For example, purposely voting for the ugliest building to increase your odds, or buying votes from other members.
- Participants are REQUIRED to vote, non-participants voting is optional.

Phase Three - Winners!
- We will announce the winners after the votes have been counted, and we will also PM you.
- When you win, you will be allowed to go to all the build sites and collect your winnings.

Since this is our first ever competition, some of the rules are subject to change due to unforeseen problems, if that happens, I'll be sure to let you know! :D
This contest is the start of what will become monthly community activities. Any other ideas for future month competitions are welcomed!

Good luck in the competition!

sig.png

#2 ananda11

ananda11
  • PipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Workbench

• 373 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA
  • Nationality:Irish-German

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:30 AM

I would like to build an Opera House/ Theatre downtown. The coords of the center of the lot are: X -116, z-29.
Also the streets along my East/West borders are on 2 or 3 levels. I'd like permission to bring the whole thing up to the level around it. Lose the 2 bridges, etc.

#3 GarrikP

GarrikP
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,042 posts
  • LocationEast Texas
  • Nationality:US

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:18 AM

Entry: Town Hall on the hill

<Profound statement>

#4 infiniteduck

infiniteduck
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Stick

• 429 posts
  • LocationCanada Eh?
  • Nationality:Mutt

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:15 AM

I take back the nightclub idea, since Nek was playing to do it... Instead I'm going to a pub/restaurant thingie. So Nek better make an awesome nightclub!

I have other ideas and Nek's been thinking about the nightclub idea for a while, and i just thought of it this morning. So yep...

Pub/Restaurant and has placed!

And here is a shot of it from the map!
http://img.photobuck...iteduck/pub.png
Posted Image

#5 torcido

torcido
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Torch

• 762 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:22 AM

Anyone caught abusing the voting system will have their building taken out of the contest. For example, purposely voting for the ugliest building to increase your odds, or buying votes from other members.

I'm confused. We aren't allowed to 'buy' votes? How else do you get votes? Barter?
Posted Image

#6 mctheta

mctheta
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 204 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:58 AM

I'm confused. We aren't allowed to 'buy' votes? How else do you get votes? Barter?

Ray -

i'm upset to think that anyone would even consider buying votes in this community.

Everyone else -

meet me at The Ordinary Everyday Store after midnight to buy my vote....errm...i mean...help me build something. bring gold.

#7 latyper

latyper
  • PipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Workbench

• 309 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:32 AM

Just wanted to say that I really love the buildings already started.

Keep it everyone.

Hopefully I'll be able to submit something later in the month.
When you cut me, I bleed out redstone in the shape of an NS-NOR latch.

#8 latyper

latyper
  • PipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Workbench

• 309 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:14 AM

I'm building a factory on the waterfront near Inf.ducks pub.

So we got myself, Garrik, infinitduck, and anadan competing right now. Did I miss anyone?

#9 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • Nationality:American

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:43 PM

I'm building a factory on the waterfront near Inf.ducks pub.

So we got myself, Garrik, infinitduck, and anadan competing right now. Did I miss anyone?

A factory really isn't a downtown type theme though :/

Usually those factories would be near the ports, or around pockets of town right outside downtown. Seldom, if ever, do you see them actually inside the city unless they're smaller mom and pop factories incorporated into a much larger building (Like what you see in New York sometimes). But generally there aren't any free-standing large factories inside the "Metropolis" of downtown. :o

sig.png

#10 latyper

latyper
  • PipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Workbench

• 309 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:45 PM

A factory really isn't a downtown type theme though :/

Usually those factories would be near the ports, or around pockets of town right outside downtown. Seldom, if ever, do you see them actually inside the city unless they're smaller mom and pop factories incorporated into a much larger building (Like what you see in New York sometimes). But generally there aren't any free-standing large factories inside the "Metropolis" of downtown. :o

It's a left over from Sixtygig's earlier industrial past. It has since been converted into a gallery for starving artist from the local community college.

#11 GarrikP

GarrikP
  • Veteran
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,042 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:15 PM

Then it's an art gallery?

building style doesn't mean anything for the competition, it's all free form, just make sure the building fits the theme of the area.

<Profound statement>

#12 latyper

latyper
  • PipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Workbench

• 309 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:53 PM

Then it's an art gallery?

building style doesn't mean anything for the competition, it's all free form, just make sure the building fits the theme of the area.

Ya. Just the kind hipsters would like.

#13 infiniteduck

infiniteduck
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Stick

• 429 posts
  • LocationCanada Eh?

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:14 AM

Not trying to be a bleep, but you could a factory redone for an office building. There are a lot of those in the southern ontario because of the age of the areas, and my god they are so pretty. Huge beautiful windows, great old hardwood floors. Just nice buildings.
Posted Image

#14 latyper

latyper
  • PipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Workbench

• 309 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:13 AM

Not trying to be a bleep, but you could a factory redone for an office building. There are a lot of those in the southern ontario because of the age of the areas, and my god they are so pretty. Huge beautiful windows, great old hardwood floors. Just nice buildings.

YOU BLEEPING BLEEP!

:P

I have something like that in mind. I plan to cut off the smoke stacks which will make it look much less factory-ish. Perhaps I'll add a rooftop garden or something.

#15 infiniteduck

infiniteduck
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Stick

• 429 posts
  • LocationCanada Eh?

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:03 AM

YOU BLEEPING BLEEP!

:P

I have something like that in mind. I plan to cut off the smoke stacks which will make it look much less factory-ish. Perhaps I'll add a rooftop garden or something.

*sobs*

And that sounds lovely!

Can anyone remind me if mobs spawn on half blocks now. Using stone half blocks for my roof for the light colour of gray, and just trying to figure out if I should double up the center part to add torches.
Posted Image

#16 latyper

latyper
  • PipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Workbench

• 309 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:29 AM

*sobs*

And that sounds lovely!

Can anyone remind me if mobs spawn on half blocks now. Using stone half blocks for my roof for the light colour of gray, and just trying to figure out if I should double up the center part to add torches.

they don't spawn on half slabs but they will spawn on two stacked half slabs.

#17 infiniteduck

infiniteduck
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Stick

• 429 posts
  • LocationCanada Eh?

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:05 AM

they don't spawn on half slabs but they will spawn on two stacked half slabs.

Those I am lighting up, I just want to make sure they won't spawn on the flat roof over the kitchen =P
Posted Image

#18 latyper

latyper
  • PipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Workbench

• 309 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:10 AM

Figured out what I am doing with my factory. I am converting it into a city pool instead. It is a pretty good shape for it and the skylights I've already installed kinda remind me of the ones at my school's pool.

#19 GarrikP

GarrikP
  • Veteran
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,042 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 10 February 2012 - 04:44 AM

Won't the water be the nasty swamp-colored water?

<Profound statement>

#20 GarrikP

GarrikP
  • Veteran
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,042 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:14 AM

Honestly, is a swimming pool a downtown themed building?
A rec center with a pool could be though.

<Profound statement>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users