#21 mctheta

mctheta
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 204 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:23 PM

My 2 cents..

I agree with Ray on the entry fee logic. Although 4 gold blocks would be a little too rich for me as I would likely end up using gold to finish the structure, but as Ray said, the more invested you are, the more likely you are to go all the way.

I don't know if anyone saw it or not, but in the actual voting thread, instead of giving 1st, 2nd, 3rd to the number of overall votes, I suggested we have 3 different polls, as follows:

Poll #1: Overall best design (replaces 1st place, gold winner)

- based on detail of design, use of colors, good sense of architecture, etc.

Poll #2: Originality (replaces 2nd place, iron winner)

- Good design, but more based on interesting and unique uses for blocks and materials

Poll #3: Functionality (replaces 3rd place, lapis winner)

- This may be considered to be too closely tied to Overall Best Design, but here's why I suggest it. In this first competition, there was one that I liked as much as the one that I thought was 'best designed' because it had purposeful functionality. I ultimately went for best design, because it was really just that awesome. But, I could see there being a category for those who don't necessarily have the design savvy to win the 'Best Overall' category (because we have some very talented folks here), but can make cool fun structures.

At the end of the day, it is a competition.. But I wonder if some people aren't more intimidated by the competition, rather than the entry fee. This would maybe even the playing field a little and maybe give more people the chance to show what they're made of, besides rotten flesh. :)

#22 latyper

latyper
  • PipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Workbench

• 309 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:50 PM

@mctheta,

I like that idea a lot. I'm sure if it gets used there might be some changes in what those 3 categories are but your basic idea of having multiple prizes to win sounds great. The reason I like it so much is because, (at least in theory,) participants would be encouraged to win all three prizes. So, if we decide we want the the rural area to be filled with builds that are 1) nicely designed, 2) charming, and 3) functional, than those should be the 3 categories that participants can win in a given contest.

Just another idea off the top of my head:

Most Appropriate: More than just whether a build falls well within the theme of an area but also fits well with other near by buildings in terms of design and function. Or to put it another way, the build that meshes really well with surrounding structures. Although now that I think about it, this category would only really works with areas that already have some buildings in them. Maybe this category might be more useful if we ever end up doing a Downtown contest again.
When you cut me, I bleed out redstone in the shape of an NS-NOR latch.

#23 mctheta

mctheta
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 204 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:24 AM

@mctheta,

Most Appropriate: More than just whether a build falls well within the theme of an area but also fits well with other near by buildings in terms of design and function. Or to put it another way, the build that meshes really well with surrounding structures. Although now that I think about it, this category would only really works with areas that already have some buildings in them. Maybe this category might be more useful if we ever end up doing a Downtown contest again.

Ray and the vets are not even going to approve the build if it's not 'appropriate', so this probably is moot. I see what you are trying to get at though, I'm just not sure if it warrants a voting category with the general SixtyGig rules in place.

#24 mctheta

mctheta
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 204 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:14 AM

Poll #1: Overall best design (replaces 1st place, gold winner)

- based on detail of design, use of colors, good sense of architecture, etc.

Poll #2: Originality (replaces 2nd place, iron winner)

- Good design, but more based on interesting and unique uses for blocks and materials

Poll #3: Functionality (replaces 3rd place, lapis winner)

- This may be considered to be too closely tied to Overall Best Design, but here's why I suggest it. In this first competition, there was one that I liked as much as the one that I thought was 'best designed' because it had purposeful functionality. I ultimately went for best design, because it was really just that awesome. But, I could see there being a category for those who don't necessarily have the design savvy to win the 'Best Overall' category (because we have some very talented folks here), but can make cool fun structures.

Also, the way I see it, the '3 Category' system could potentially award 2 or all 3 of the prizes to one person. Kind of adds an extra layer of competition to the whole thing. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users