20 replies to this topic

#1 Eryng

Eryng
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Retired Applications Manager

• 629 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:24 PM

Hello everyone, the vets and seasoned members have been thinking up ways to make the city feel more "alive" and to encourage people to visit the city more often. One of the ideas brought up were to build a PVP /Spleef arena where we can host events and such. I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. I imagine that the stadium will be fairly big, pretty much the same length and width of the newbie grinder so it will require some planning and approval in terms of location and design.

Would love to hear your thoughts and ideas. Can't wait to see srm and dann fight (my bet is on srm).

#2 itsdann

itsdann
  • Pip
  • Inactive
  • Log

• 191 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:30 PM

:(

We'd fight in there for your amusement as much as you all wanted. I'd also love to fight pretty much everyone on this server. :P Even if I lose, I will have my revenge!

Anyway, this sounds absolutely amazing Eryng! A spleef arena would be amazing and it would be a lot more fun playfully killing friends in there than on the road or somewhere else.

I've truthfully never seen a spleef arena so I don't know what I could suggest but I am sure others have some ideas!

#3 Nekcalb

Nekcalb
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Retired Evildoer

• 1,138 posts
  • LocationCorn Field
  • Nationality:'merican

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:34 PM

Hello everyone, the vets and seasoned members have been thinking up ways to make the city feel more "alive" and to encourage people to visit the city more often. One of the ideas brought up were to build a PVP /Spleef arena where we can host events and such. I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. I imagine that the stadium will be fairly big, pretty much the same length and width of the newbie grinder so it will require some planning and approval in terms of location and design.

Would love to hear your thoughts and ideas. Can't wait to see srm and dann fight (my bet is on srm).

Personally i like the idea, i think snow as the knock away floor (since its very soft and easy to replace) and plain stone shovels would work as the weapons for a spleef arena. Could be either an open venue or a closed roof structure to keep out the rain.

A think a pvp / pve arena should be a separate venue tho, that way additional hazards and traps could be added, like pressure plates in the floor that trigger dispensors that splash players with poison/slow or even beneficial potions. And arrow traps in the walls.

I imagine it could be built as a duel purpose arena also tho.
Refusing to allow people to be paid less than a living wage preserves to us our own market. There is absolutely no use in producing anything if you gradually reduce the number of people able to buy even the cheapest products. The only way to preserve our markets is to pay an adequate wage. -- Eleanor Roosevelt

#4 infiniteduck

infiniteduck
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Stick

• 429 posts
  • LocationCanada Eh?
  • Nationality:Mutt

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:45 PM

I'm all for punting dann.
Posted Image

#5 itsdann

itsdann
  • Pip
  • Inactive
  • Log

• 191 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:58 PM

I'ma come at you like a spider monkey, Duck!

#6 latyper

latyper
  • PipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Workbench

• 309 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:47 PM

Personally i like the idea, i think snow as the knock away floor (since its very soft and easy to replace) and plain stone shovels would work as the weapons for a spleef arena. Could be either an open venue or a closed roof structure to keep out the rain.

A think a pvp / pve arena should be a separate venue tho, that way additional hazards and traps could be added, like pressure plates in the floor that trigger dispensors that splash players with poison/slow or even beneficial potions. And arrow traps in the walls.

I imagine it could be built as a duel purpose arena also tho.

Yes, yes and yes.
When you cut me, I bleed out redstone in the shape of an NS-NOR latch.

#7 GarrikP

GarrikP
  • Veteran
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,042 posts
  • LocationEast Texas
  • Nationality:US

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:46 PM

I'll shoot you all from the bell tower of City Hall.
:face_enderdragon_16px: :face_skeleton_16px: :face_enderdragon_16px:

<Profound statement>

#8 srm86

srm86
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Admin
  • SixtyGig Admin

• 1,557 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:04 PM

She's one crazy lady. :D

:(

We'd fight in there for your amusement as much as you all wanted. I'd also love to fight pretty much everyone on this server. :P Even if I lose, I will have my revenge!

Anyway, this sounds absolutely amazing Eryng! A spleef arena would be amazing and it would be a lot more fun playfully killing friends in there than on the road or somewhere else.

I've truthfully never seen a spleef arena so I don't know what I could suggest but I am sure others have some ideas!

We would definitely fight constantly for a while. I mean, we might do our own stuff too but I love fighting Dan. It's so funny. I end up sitting on vent with him and cackling the whole time. I especially love the places where you can hide behind stuff. I've only ever seen a few spleef arenas. But it would definitely be nice to have an official arena to do it so we don't end up doing it in the middle of the portals and then have some random passerby grab our loot on accident. <_<

#9 infiniteduck

infiniteduck
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Stick

• 429 posts
  • LocationCanada Eh?
  • Nationality:Mutt

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:34 PM

One day, I will get on vent. =P
Posted Image

#10 itsdann

itsdann
  • Pip
  • Inactive
  • Log

• 191 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:55 PM

The day I beat you in Spleef. Which will be everyday! PEWPEWPEW.

#11 Eryng

Eryng
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive

• 629 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:04 PM

I was thinking of a multi-purpose structure that would (somehow) house everything. I think having the arena in one location instead of two might be easier for everyone to find/gather at. It would also let us take advantage of the increased world height.

#12 Nekcalb

Nekcalb
  • Inactive
  • Retired Evildoer

• 1,138 posts
  • LocationCorn Field
  • Nationality:'merican

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:07 PM

Perhaps anyone who is interested in participating in building the arena can try creating some ideas in creative mode and post pics in this thread, with that perhaps everyone can agree, suggest, and finalize an arena design we can all appreciate and contribute towards. Additionally perhaps make some suggestions on where the arena should be built.

Ray, will you approve the exploration of caves near and underneath the arena, and the construction of a mob system being built underneath it so we can have battle royals vs monsters? I personally would like to see such a system to increase the available games, knowing ahead of time would influence the design i have in mind.
Refusing to allow people to be paid less than a living wage preserves to us our own market. There is absolutely no use in producing anything if you gradually reduce the number of people able to buy even the cheapest products. The only way to preserve our markets is to pay an adequate wage. -- Eleanor Roosevelt

#13 BrelanAllin

BrelanAllin
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 86 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:56 AM

Do we have any mob spawners around the city that are near the surface?

Could be cool to have a duel when someone yells : "Release the hounds!" And mobs start appearing in the arena to mess with the gladiators.

#14 srm86

srm86
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Admin
  • SixtyGig Admin

• 1,557 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:05 AM

Could be cool to have a duel when someone yells : "Release the hounds!" And mobs start appearing in the arena to mess with the gladiators.

Now that would be fun!

#15 BrelanAllin

BrelanAllin
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 86 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:36 AM

You can even make it interactive.

Each gladiator has a sponsor.

The sponsors are on separate lodges with buttons around them that spring various traps. They have to be carefull to push the buttons at the right times or they could kill their gladiator.

Sometimes add in an archer on each team that are on the far back on each side the arena and make it a team sport.

#16 renic_ixillon

renic_ixillon
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Wooden Axe

• 565 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:14 AM

Arenas? Spleef? Gladiators? Zombie spawners? Traps?

You people are horribly cruel and violent!!!!

So . . I will be handling all the bets on each contest. Winners will receive their winnings minus a modest "handling fee" of 25% for myself as "the House" take.

I additionally will be designing a line of tasteful T-shirts and fan paraphrenalia! LOL

#17 twilytgardnfaery

twilytgardnfaery
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 92 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:42 PM

At first, I figured I'd probably just watch; I've never been a big PvP'er. Only played Quake II competitive multiplayer because it was the official sport of another message board I hang out on. But this...

You can even make it interactive.

Each gladiator has a sponsor.

The sponsors are on separate lodges with buttons around them that spring various traps. They have to be carefull to push the buttons at the right times or they could kill their gladiator.

Sometimes add in an archer on each team that are on the far back on each side the arena and make it a team sport.

SOUNDS AWESOME! I will definitely watch, but I will probably play, too, because it sounds like too much fun not to try at least once.
Posted Image

#18 GarrikP

GarrikP
  • Veteran
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,042 posts
  • LocationEast Texas
  • Nationality:US

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:58 PM

The areas I would suggest a large arena structure that wouldn't break any style of the city, would be within the dwarven citadel (any theme), in the Dark Ages area (possibly Roman style) near Ray, or in what I've personally called the skyscraper area (sci-fi style) in the downtown streets near Nek's zone.

<Profound statement>

#19 Kabookee

Kabookee
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 65 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:01 PM

Was just watching a video on YouTube and thought of an variation on the Spleef arena idea.
Normally Spleef is done on a snow block surface.
I was thinking maybe instead of snow blocks, doing matches on a field of giant brown mushroom platforms.
That way large areas could be regrown that are broken, there would be various elevations, possible gaps, and the blocks could be broken by hand with no need for tools to be used up.

#20 Eryng

Eryng
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive

• 629 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:54 PM

Was just watching a video on YouTube and thought of an variation on the Spleef arena idea.
Normally Spleef is done on a snow block surface.
I was thinking maybe instead of snow blocks, doing matches on a field of giant brown mushroom platforms.
That way large areas could be regrown that are broken, there would be various elevations, possible gaps, and the blocks could be broken by hand with no need for tools to be used up.

I like this idea. It beats having to dig up and craft snow blocks, plus all the trouble of filling the stadium back in.
-EDIT Or we could just have the option of both. P.S is anyone working on a design?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users