latyper
  • PipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Workbench

• 309 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:28 PM

I was thinking about building a fancy condominium here:

Posted Image
The proposed footprint would be a 43x43 block circle that goes from -62, -40 to -19, -83.

- Large projects must be approved by City Planners! (Anything over roughly 30x30)

Even if you only count the squares within the circle this is still the equivalent of a 33.75x33.75 area.

Here are some pics of some things I've started on creative single player:
(Note that these are all just sketches of what I want the building to look like. I have not built the thing all the way around.)

Posted Image
Looking up from the ground. Note that the highest of those sandstone rings are only 32 blocks up. Once all the floors are on I expect the structure to reach a height of about 62 blocks, [see Edit below.] Compare that to the chest tower which is a little over 40 blocks high.

Posted Image
I was thinking about leaving the lobby area open on all sides so that the building does not become something that people have to walk around. In the center I'm leaving space for a piston elevator to the different floors. skylight and stair case. I would add an elevator but making it stop on selected floors is beyond me.

Posted Image
As you can more clearly see from this angle the structure tapers in to a diameter of 27 and then expands back out to a diameter of 35 for the main floors. A diameter of 35 leaves me enough room to cut each floor into separate condos that don't feel to cramped.

I could crunch the whole thing down to fit within the 30x30 limit but I think the building, and therefore the aesthetic of the city, would suffer for it.

As for the roof I plan on adding a heli pad or leaving it fairly simple and flat.

EDIT:
I've redone the floors so that each ceiling to floor area, (not the floor to ceiling area,) is 3 blocks thick. This allows room to (1) hide redstone dust to power exterior lights that are hooked up to a light sensor, (2) install the piston showers like in the pool locker rooms (3) allow some variation in floor height. The thicker floors also mean that a overhead light on floor one does not also become a ground light on floor two. This does add another 2 blocks to the total height per floor.
When you cut me, I bleed out redstone in the shape of an NS-NOR latch.

#2 GarrikP

GarrikP
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,042 posts
  • LocationEast Texas
  • Nationality:US

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:33 AM

We're avoiding tall buildings near the portals, you should pick another spot further away

<Profound statement>

#3 renic_ixillon

renic_ixillon
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Wooden Axe

• 565 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:26 AM

I like it Latty! I have been contemplating some sky building for 60-city myself.

I have not gotten the designs worked out that well yet. My big issue is my ignorance of redstone and how to use it effectively.

I wanted to make a large building with lights that turned off and on aall through the night to make the building look like people were working in it to anyone passing by.

Most of what we are putting there will never be used all that much and is really eye candy so I want to make something visually appealing that fits well with a metropolis theme.

Let me know if you need with building it! I do not get much time in game but I like to help out when I can!

#4 latyper

latyper
  • PipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Workbench

• 309 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:54 AM

I like it Latty! I have been contemplating some sky building for 60-city myself.

I have not gotten the designs worked out that well yet. My big issue is my ignorance of redstone and how to use it effectively.

I wanted to make a large building with lights that turned off and on aall through the night to make the building look like people were working in it to anyone passing by.

Most of what we are putting there will never be used all that much and is really eye candy so I want to make something visually appealing that fits well with a metropolis theme.

Let me know if you need with building it! I do not get much time in game but I like to help out when I can!

Thanks Renic! Hopefully with the new redstone lanterns making light that turn on at night will become easier.

As for your help it would be much appreciated. Once I get the lobby built the floors will largely just repeat making it much easier for other people to help by just copying the pattern up.

We're avoiding tall buildings near the portals, you should pick another spot further away

Roger that. I found 3 other possibilities.

[Option 2] - This is a little north of the court house and centered where two roads meet. The open lobby on the bottom means the roads won't need to be moved except in the very center where they would form a roundabout for the elevator.
Posted Image

[Option 3] - This is the north-west corner of the downtown area near Nek's zone.
Posted Image

[Option 4] - The road that the tower would cover would need to be replaced here.
Posted Image

#5 renic_ixillon

renic_ixillon
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Wooden Axe

• 565 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:36 AM

Any of those would work I think.

I like option 2 best because of the idea of having a 4 way road under the tower seems cool to me.

You would be taking up 4 potential building sites so if you did it there you would definitely need to landscape them for a nice aesthetic!

I like option 4 next because it has water running around it (nice for boat trips floating by) LOL

#6 latyper

latyper
  • PipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Workbench

• 309 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:43 AM

Any of those would work I think.

I like option 2 best because of the idea of having a 4 way road under the tower seems cool to me.

You would be taking up 4 potential building sites so if you did it there you would definitely need to landscape them for a nice aesthetic!

I like option 4 next because it has water running around it (nice for boat trips floating by) LOL

My favorite is option 4 for the same reason that you like it: the river running along side it.

As for option 2 I would want the unused spaces left open for development by other players.

There are also other places that it could go but that would require some readjustment of the roads to make room. If you guys want me to suggest some areas that doing so might work just let me know.

#7 GarrikP

GarrikP
  • Veteran
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,042 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:03 PM

#2 Would end up taking up too much other potential building space. While having roads going through buildings is interesting, you'd be nullifying too much space building it on a tighter block structure like there.

#4 That little culdesac was made with a relative historic district/ cliff-side view of downtown.

#3 Could work as far as location.

If you don't mind me asking though, so many of your projects seem to be unfinished, or at least lack decoration for the foot traveler. Might I suggest finishing your other buildings before starting another one?

<Profound statement>

#8 latyper

latyper
  • PipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Workbench

• 309 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:53 PM

#2 Would end up taking up too much other potential building space. While having roads going through buildings is interesting, you'd be nullifying too much space building it on a tighter block structure like there.

#4 That little culdesac was made with a relative historic district/ cliff-side view of downtown.

Roger that. I was really hoping for option #4 but I understand if you guys have something planned for it.

If you don't mind me asking though, so many of your projects seem to be unfinished, or at least lack decoration for the foot traveler. Might I suggest finishing your other buildings before starting another one?

Which ones did I leave unfinished?

If I did, I'll polish them off before starting the sky scraper. Just let me know.

#9 Eryng

Eryng
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Retired Applications Manager

• 629 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:44 PM

I'd go with bachlorette #3.

#10 Eryng

Eryng
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive

• 629 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:15 PM

Wait, nevermind. I found the perfect spot ;)
Posted Image

#11 latyper

latyper
  • PipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Workbench

• 309 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:25 AM

Posted Image

lol. I love the wall but not that it is not on a river.

How about this one?

Posted Image
Next to infi-duck's pub.

#12 torcido

torcido
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Torch

• 762 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:59 AM

Posted Image

*wipes away tears*

Oh no she dih-ant!
Posted Image

#13 Eryng

Eryng
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive

• 629 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:34 AM

But seriously, #3 or near infinite's pub is fine by me.

#14 renic_ixillon

renic_ixillon
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Wooden Axe

• 565 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:34 AM

OUCH! LOL

I love how Garrik can be so polite as he slices your jugular! hehee!

#15 latyper

latyper
  • PipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Workbench

• 309 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:31 AM

OUCH! LOL

I love how Garrik can be so polite as he slices your jugular! hehee!

Seriously. The man wins a building contest and then starts getting all nasty. :D

#16 latyper

latyper
  • PipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Workbench

• 309 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:32 AM

But seriously, #3 or near infinite's pub is fine by me.

Thanks Ery

#17 GarrikP

GarrikP
  • Veteran
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,042 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:18 PM

I'm actually just trying to dissuade you from starting a large project, for your own good. All will be apparent eventually.

<Profound statement>

#18 torcido

torcido
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Torch

• 762 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:23 PM

What about several small projects? Like a bunch of circles? All on top of one another? In a sort-of vertical pattern?

That cool?
Posted Image

#19 GarrikP

GarrikP
  • Veteran
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,042 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:22 PM

Only if they're concentric circles in a Fibonacci pattern that plays 'Flight of the Bumblebee' as you traverse them along an Escher-style walkway.

<Profound statement>

#20 simonparnell

simonparnell
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Coal

• 642 posts
  • LocationUK
  • Nationality:British

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:53 PM

I'm actually just trying to dissuade you from starting a large project, for your own good. All will be apparent eventually.

Oh god not a new map! Noooooo
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users