Rayvolution
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • Nationality:American

Posted 17 March 2011 - 04:11 AM

I have an insane amount of lava inside my mineshaft I want removed. So, if you need lava or Obsidian, you're more than welcome to head on over to my mineshaft and take what you need.

All I ask is you leave my ore alone, and only take cobble/stone that's in the way of your lava harvesting. ;)

My mine down the long stairwell attached to the outside of my manor. (The log house near the center of my zone)

Once down there, pretty much anywhere you see Cobblestone is an area I blocked off lava flow. You'll see several places down there. So if you need a TON of lava or obsidian, you'll be able to collect more than you'd ever need down there. :)

sig.png

#2 RayvenNightsong

RayvenNightsong
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 273 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 11:12 AM

I found a bunch of lava in one of my cave systems but I may make a trip or two to your mine for obsidian. It takes forever to mine the stuff though so I'll plan on being there for days. I'll save my lava for when I actually need lava because it is a pain to run back and forth to your place to fill buckets. I can spend a few days at your mine and make only one trip home with many stacks of obsidian.

BTW, are there still a zillion slimes running amok in your mines? I don't want to risk dying and not getting back to my stuff in time if I am taking diamond pickaxes with me. Maybe you could wall off a lava area so that it is safe. Maybe I'll make a run down there and prepare an area before I take diamond stuff with me. I will enclose an area and install a door. Anyone who wants obsidian can go mine that area until we empty it and then we'll wall off another spot. That sounds like a good idea.

#3 RayvenNightsong

RayvenNightsong
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 273 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 03:51 PM

Okay, I created a walled off area for obsidian mining and used water to sculpt out the lava falls and convert many lava pools down connecting passage ways. That should be enough obsidian to keep us all busy for a long time. There is still lava around if anyone needs lava.

When you go down the main stairs, look to your right and you will see a dirt building with a door, that is the obsidian area. I used dirt so we can tear it down and move it quickly after we clear an area of obsidian. This area is the bottom of one of the lava falls. Go up to the top of the pile and work your way down. Use a bucket of water or you'll lose most of your obsidian. The trick is to pour the water over the block you want to mine and mine through the water. When the block breaks, it will hop and if there is lava underneath the water will convert it to obsidian a split second before your block hits it. If you don't use water, your block will fall in the lava and be destroyed. Use this method on the stone too, that way if there is lava under it you create another obsidian block and there is less chance you'll catch on fire or fall in lava.

At the top of the lava falls there are passageways that head off in different directions. I tried to wall up openings so monsters couldn't get to us but I am sure I missed a few. It seemed like all the tunnels ran in to each other, so there may be openings monsters can get through. If you see an open spot, wall it off with dirt. While I was setting up the mining area I did die a couple of times due to monsters and I saw lots of them trying to get at me through the walls, so they are definitely there. There are so many natural tunnels in Ray's mine that some are probably not lit up yet and are creating spawns. Because of this it is a good idea to bring a chest with you and store your obsidian and other items as you mine, just in case you die and can't get back in time to collect your drops. Bring a stack of wood with you so you can make new tools as well as anything else you think you'll need. I placed a crafting table at the bottom of the falls and created an eternal water pool so we can easily fill buckets.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users